Problem binding X9 Lite with Bee Brain Lite

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
JFlyX

Problem binding X9 Lite with Bee Brain Lite

Post by JFlyX »

I am unsuccessful in binding a new Taranis X9 Lite out of the box firmware to a NewBee Drone Bee Brain Lite [Mockingbird edition]
running 3.5.7 out of the box setup. The Bee Brain Lt. is an F4 based FC... I know 4.0.1 is available, but, I am not sure if this is a problem.

The X9 lite is capable of D16 I believe [not D8], and the Bee Brain FC should be compatible with FRSKY_X D16.

Any suggestions on config in BetaFlight for the FC, or, on the TX side flash, etc?

Thanks!

Daedalus66

Re: Problem binding X9 Lite with Bee Brain Lite

Post by Daedalus66 »

When first released, the X9-Lite was NOT compatible with D16 (ACCST) but only with the new ACCESS protocol. It was necessary to flash to new tx firmware to get D16 compatibility. I suspect this is still the case for many units in the pipeline.

Go to FrSky-R.C.com and download the 190605 update for X9-lite. Copy to SD card and update.
JFlyX

Post by JFlyX »

I downloaded x9 Lite Firmware 190605 and installed; also, updated the BeeBrain Lite to the latest version BeeBrain Lite FrSky 4.0.1 - US Version

And, no joy... still no binding?

Not sure what else can be done.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Did you install the RF module update or just the radio firmware? Is your radio an EU or international version?
JFlyX

Post by JFlyX »

I believe the radio was updated with the correct version and region FCC [US] is correct.

Bottom line, the Bee Brain Lite will not bind with a FRSky Lite radio at this time. It seems to have something to do with the "handshake" in the bind process. Newbee Drone will need to work with FRSky to resolve the issue of non-compatibility with the new radios that are being produced.

I believe the issue encountered broadly effects Tiny Whoop class drones with integrated RX F4 boards running SPI receivers.

I hope the companies work quickly on a solution. In the meantime, I suggest avoiding the new protocol only TXs when running a Whoop.

If anyone has a success story with cli edits, or otherwise to make these two work, I am all ears!

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The receiver code is part of betaflight so that's where the problem is, although it's been like that for a while and no-one seems to really understand it. Some people apparently got improvements with the latest (4.0.4 I think) but the manufacturer of your thing seems not to want you to run straight BF, only their version that is older.

The receiver code in BF was written by users through their best efforts at reverse-engineeering the FrSky protocol, but it seems they didn't get it quite right. FrSky was never asked about it and is no part of this.
JFlyX

Post by JFlyX »

Agree 100% with what you said... code is BetaFlight based....
And, as a open project, this doc. provides great detail in the dev. for the FRSKy SPI done on BF.
Betaflight SPI Doc

The Tiny Whoops are popular and the smaller, powerful FRYSKY TXs are at a price point and form factor perfect for these smaller SPI based single RX Boards.... so, something has to be sorted out, otherwise, why make a product without an application?

I am going to look at the CLI logs to ID the problem if possible. Its also possible that NewBee is not running a cc2500 radio chip that is compliant.

Might also try clean install of Betaflight, not sure if it will be compatible.
StormChaseTV

Post by StormChaseTV »

any luck with this? I'm having a very similar problem with an x9 lite + xjt lite module and a beebrain v1.2. This is supposedly an frsky d8 receiver, but it's not completing the bind. The LEDs will stop flashing as though the bind process is complete, but it isn't. HELP!

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”