Connect X8R to Pixhawk 4?

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
AKukreja

Connect X8R to Pixhawk 4?

Post by AKukreja »

Hi all, first time posting here.

I'm new to working with drones, and I recently purchased FrSky X9D Plus Transmitter and an X8R receiver combo, as well as a Pixhawk 4 set. I was able to connect the X8R to the Pixhawk 4 through the SBUS. However, I am seeing online that many people are connecting the X8R's Smart Port to the flight-controller as well. I had a few questions about this:
  • Is it required to connect the Smart Port to the flight controller if the SBUS is already connected? I only want to fly the drone using my X9D Plus receiver without any external sensors (for now).
  • If I want to connect the Smart Port to the Pixhawk 4, then which cable should I buy? I found a lot of guides covering this online, but none were for the Pixhawk 4. I saw that Craft & Theory (http://www.craftandtheoryllc.com/store/ ... ky-radios/) were selling an adapter cable for Smart-Port, but looking at the photo of the cable, it didn't look like there was any port on the Pixhawk 4 to connect either end of their cable.
I couldn't find any information on google on linking a smart-port to the Pixhawk 4 specifically.

Kilrah

Re: Connect X8R to Pixhawk 4?

Post by Kilrah »

Smart port is only used for telemetry and remote configuration, SBUS is enough for control

I believe you'll have to change the plug yourself, the Pixhawk4 is "rather new" and there aren't so many 3rd party accessories for it right now. I bought mine with a spare set of cables so I'd have some I could cut and splice.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”