Problem with extremely low range on Turnigy 9x

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
easystar

Post by easystar »

Hi,

I just got a Turnigy 9X, the version sold by Hobbyking (from the European Warehouse). I did not modify it in any way, simply using it out of the box.

Installed it on my new plane (an Easystar), and initially things seemed to work fine: binding is ok and servos/ESC work as they should. However, when testing it on the field for the first time today, the range is absolutely abysmal. That is, it works fine when I am like 3 meters away from the model; at 10 meters the signal is already sometimes lost depending on the angle of the plane towards the receiver, and at 20 meters the signal is lost completely.

I checked the Tx battery, 10.5v, Rx power supply I am using a 5v BEC but also tested external battery 6.6v to be sure, this does not seem to be the problem. I disconnected the motor to make sure it cannot be interference of motor with Rx.

Has anybody heard of this kind of problem before?
Is there anything obvious I could have done wrong? (It's my first RC plane so might be something stupid).

Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Do you have another receiver you can test with the radio? If you have another it will help pin point if the problem is with the receiver or the module in the radio.
easystar

Re: Problem with extremely low range on Turnigy 9x

Post by easystar »

Unfortunately I only have this one receiver and sender (just getting started with RC), so I cannot test this.

I am thinking about sending the 9X back to Hobbyking, maybe I just got a broken unit and they will replace it?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Moved
Last edited by ShowMaster on Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Wrong thread? Maybe this one instead? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=943

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Strange?
I was in that thread and just hit reply and it ended up here?
I use an apple ipod touch g4 latest FW update.
I notice that several times on this fourm my profile or posts get redirected or changed? Maybe it doesn't like my iPod?
OK, I'll cut and paste it in the link you posted as it should have been?
Sorry, but not to worry. I've sent Steve Jobs an email asking him how to fix my iPod. Can't wait for his answer.
May take a while.
SM
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Are you using Tapatalk?

I have had that happen with Tapatalk a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

No just Safari.
SM
Camboui

Post by Camboui »

Easystar, where are you located in Europe ?
There should be at least one Turnigy/Eurgle/FlySky 9x owner in each RC field :mrgreen:
Ask him help.

Also, maybe open the module and check the antenna wire. It might be cut or badly soldered.
easystar

Post by easystar »

Good point, I should probably try to find someone else with a 9X and switch receivers to see if it is the receiver or sender.

I am located close to Berlin, in Germany.

I'll also check the soldering of the antenna wire, on both the receiver and sender. Do you think it is possible that the transmission still works at close ranges even if the antenna is not connected?
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I'll also check the soldering of the antenna wire, on both the receiver and sender. Do you think it is possible that the transmission still works at close ranges even if the antenna is not connected?
That exactly is the symptom of a mis-soldered antenna may it be tx or rx.

Check if the TX antenna wire has been pinched and/or if the antenna wires are soldered correctly. Remember, this is a coaxial wire with an inner wire and an outer shell. both must be soldered and no shortage beween inner and outer wires.

Reinhard
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

ReSt wrote:
That exactly is the symptom of a mis-soldered antenna may it be tx or rx.

Check if the TX antenna wire has been pinched and/or if the antenna wires are soldered correctly. Remember, this is a coaxial wire with an inner wire and an outer shell. both must be soldered and no shortage beween inner and outer wires.

Reinhard
Great idea! I've found several of the Turnigy9x TX modules with the shield not soldered to the board. I modified to a DJT module and had to unsolder the stock module coax and that's when I saw the shield not connected anymore. I never use the modules or RX's so I never tested range in that condition. I think it's fatigue from the bad solder and pressure the coax put in it when the module was closed up.
Hopefully it's that easy of a fix.
easystar

Post by easystar »

Good advice to look at the antenna cable :-)

The Tx cables all looked fine, but when I opened the Rx case the antenna actually fell out, it was not connected to the board at all.

I soldered it back on (hope I got it right, wasn't easy because of the thin coaxial cable). I could not do a proper range test at the field yet, but testing it in the garden at maybe 30 meters it now seems to work fine, so range is definitely better than before. Hopefully, this will have solved the problem.

Thanks again for all your help!
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

How did you solder it back on to the board? It should be soldered in 2 different places. One to the inner core and the other to the outer shield.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

In the Turnigy module,
The coax inner center conductor solders to the center top antenna tab from the rf IC and the coax shield solders to the tab on either side of center.
SM
Last edited by ShowMaster on Wed May 30, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
easystar

Post by easystar »

Yes, I have soldered the inner core of the coax wire to one connector on the board and the outer shield to the other.

For the receiver, there is basically one connector at the very edge of the board and one slightly away from the edge. Based on pictures I found on the web I soldered the outer shield to the one at the edge of the board and the inner core to the one slightly away from the edge.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good to know about the RX antenna solder pads. My iPod screen being so small made me miss the fact that you rx antenna was off not your TX. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.
SM
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Post a picture, or if you want send it to me and I can have a look to fix it for you(free of charge, but sometimes slow). I have posted before a picture of the connections, but I'll have to search for the photo ... That said, both pads is on the edge of the board if I remember correctly ...so if you post the picture I can point out where the wires needs to go. I were away from the forum for some time and need to catch up on all the unread posts, but if you post it and I don't respond, just drop me a pm or email

Groot
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
Denish

Post by Denish »

Yes, currently i am facing the same problems. After that issue i purchased a new radio transmitter and receiver from hobby king and bind with the new receiver. Finally i got a maximum range with new receiver.
Do anyone have idea how to troubleshoot old one??
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know that receiver, but I would start by making sure the antenna(s) is/are not broken. Then inspect the PCB looking for bad soldering or shorts.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
michel49

Post by michel49 »

The Rx with Ufl connector antennas are dangerous since it is not necessary to pull hard on the wire to de-crimp the internal wire inside the connector, without anything viewed.

Return to “Hardware”