9x wont turn on after flashing

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Koarl

9x wont turn on after flashing

Post by Koarl »

Greetings gents,

I have a probem with my T9X, it wont turn on after flashing.
I have a gruvin9x board in my transmitter and a internally wired DJT. Today I added a USBASP I bought on aliexpress. Everything worked fine before I tried to flash it. The flashing itself went fine, no errors. But now the transmitter wont turn on. The backlight turns on for a very short time and the module gets juice, but the screen stays blank.

Could you please give me a toss in the right direction to find the problem?

Thanks!

jhsa

Re: 9x wont turn on after flashing

Post by jhsa »

maybe the contrast is set too low? can you control a servo?
I presume you have opentx installed? if so try to download the eeprom onto companion and check the contrast.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Thanks for your answer!

I have currently no rx bound to the transmitter so I can't tell if a servo can be controlled.

The contrast is a good point to try. But there is also no button beep and as far as I know I have activatet it. Also the backlight won't turn on.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

try to download the eeprom to companion so you can check the settings.. Maybe it was formatted to default settings?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Hello jhsa,

I´ve tried it several times now with different settings and stuff but I cant get it work.
I would have liked to attach the files, but .bin is an unallowed extension...

Thanks

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

please zip the bin file and post it here..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

So here are the files!
Attachments
opentx-gruvin9x-templates-nocurves-PXX-ppmca-gvars-potscroll-autosource-autoswitch-dblkeys-battgraph-pgbar-ppmus-de-2.1.3.hex.zip
(81.29 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
turnigy9x eeprom.bin.zip
(724 Bytes) Downloaded 225 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Koarl wrote:I have a gruvin9x board in my transmitter and a internally wired DJT. Today I added a USBASP I bought on aliexpress. Everything worked fine before I tried to flash it. The flashing itself went fine, no errors. But now the transmitter wont turn on.
A fair share of the Chinese usbasp are loaded with old firmware that has a bug when flashing the particular processor used on the gruvin board, everything it writes beyond the first 128k of flash is corrupted (but passes verification). The result is what you see.

You should probably get another one hoping it works, and if it doesn't it would at least allow you to flash your first one with working firmware.
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Hello Kilrah!

Thanks for your answer! If this is the problem the good thing is that nothing got destroyed. I have a second of this programmers at home. So I should be able to reflash the programmers firmware. But do you know a good tutorial about how this is done?

Thanks!
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

I have found this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2927

Do I have to connect the two programmers with the isp 10pin cable bridge the jumper and flash it as I would with a transmitter? Is it that easy?

Thanks!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

yes
follow the instructions on the post you mention.
the pics are outdated but you should be able to figure it out.
the youtube video on that thread has over 12k hits, so it must be helping out.

i dont know about the gruvin board, but at one time with a 9xr if you flashed the wrong firmware to the board it would stay blank. I think it was a 64k vs 128k issue. So double check your firmware also
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Thanks!
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Hello guys,

I´ve tried it now. I think the flashing of the programmer went fine. But the problem with the radio went fine.

This is what the avrdude tells me when the flashing is done:

/usr/local/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m2560 -U flash:r:/var/folders/l0/vd5nvhv53wnfjxqr7kbshmy40000gn/T/12985-flash-check.bin:r
=================================================================================

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801
avrdude: reading flash memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 62.64s

avrdude: writing output file "/var/folders/l0/vd5nvhv53wnfjxqr7kbshmy40000gn/T/12985-flash-check.bin"

avrdude done. Thank you.

=================================================================================
/usr/local/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m2560 -U flash:w:/Users/carloskammerlander/Desktop/opentx tg gruvin:a

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "/Users/carloskammerlander/Desktop/opentx tg gruvin"
avrdude: input file /Users/carloskammerlander/Desktop/opentx tg gruvin auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (74466 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 42.57s

avrdude: 74466 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against /Users/carloskammerlander/Desktop/opentx tg gruvin:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file /Users/carloskammerlander/Desktop/opentx tg gruvin:
avrdude: input file /Users/carloskammerlander/Desktop/opentx tg gruvin auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file /Users/carloskammerlander/Desktop/opentx tg gruvin contains 74466 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 17.83s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0x0c != 0x04
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done. Thank you.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Linux. Avrdude installed in /usr/local. What distro of linux and version of avrdude.
I dont have gruvin but i may have an arduino mega with similar mcu.
not sure if gruvin uses a bootloader.

What happens if you verify the file you successfully read ?

How bout some history. Did it ever work ? When did it quit ? Did you buy it new ?

The error means that the file is not being written properly. The very first byte is wrong.
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

It's mac os. I don't know the version of avrdude.

I'm also not sure about the bootloader.
I bought the board unused from a member here. The transmitter worked fine until I flashed the firmware. I was also able to read the firmware from the tx.

When I verify the file nothing happens. The transmitter stays dead.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

My confusion. My guess is your problem is related to the version of avrdude with Macintosh. Do some searches on the forum related to this
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ok I am home now :-)

sorta old thread but may be relevant.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3940

and here
https://code.google.com/p/companion9x/wiki/MacInstall

the talk about avrdude 6.0 being problematic is true but your mismatch then usually starts at 0x0100 not 0x0000 as you posted
running 'avrdude -v' should print out your version of avrdude. I have no experience with command line on mac.
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

I had a quick look at your links, thanks for that, and will give it a try as soon as possible.

Maybe some other info:
I was able to flash a stock 9x with a smartiepartsboard but with a old programmer. That time I used a old version of companion.
Now I'm working with a version downloaded recently.

Another question:
In companion I made a new profile for this radio and I derermined the radio type as gruvin9x board/ 9x and downloaded the related firmware. So is there a possibilty for a mistake?

Thanks
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Koarl wrote: I was able to flash a stock 9x with a smartiepartsboard but with a old programmer. That time I used a old version of companion.
working with a version downloaded recently.
well it could be that the gruvin processor doesnt work with the older version of avrdude, but this information does make you wonder about the programmer. The smartiepartsboard comes with a programmer built in so I am confused when you say 'old programmer'.

Koarl wrote: Another question:
In companion I made a new profile for this radio and I derermined the radio type as gruvin9x board/ 9x and downloaded the related firmware. So is there a possibilty for a mistake
I am assuming you mean a mistake in the sense of the values you put into this new profile ?
I guess there could be a mistake there but it wouldnt give a mismatch error I dont think.

If you mean error regarding what firmware opentx downloads for the gruvin option, then I would verify that the correct version os being downloaded or manually download the correct firmware.

so I dug into the gruvin a little and it appears he sold a modified version of usbasp with a different firmware for at least some versions of the hardware. Not sure how this applies to you. heavily based on the USBasp project, found here and of which we are highly grateful. We added just a few tweaks, most important being a small change to correct an intermittent problem with exended memory page registers in the ATmega2560 chip used on our v4.x custom controller boards.
http://gruvinandco.com/shop/gruvin9x/27 ... ammer.html
if your mismatch started at 0x8000 or something like that I could see it being a extended memory page error, but you posted your mismatch as starting at 0x0000 which makes me think of a more general communications error.

earlier I asked about 'verifying' you said it remains dead. well it will because we arent changing the firmware. But it does verify successfully with what your read from the TX. I really should be sure that the 'verify' in opentx is an avrdude 'verify'.

at this point you could :
1. try your same hardware configuration on another computer using windows or linux.
2. Try a different usbasp on your same computer.
3. get some help from someone that has reflashed a gruvin board, maybe even a gruvin on mac. Maybe the guy who made this board is still active on the forums. I didnt follow this very well at the time.

more information you could provide
1. what version of avrdude is on your computer
2. If you updated the usbasp firmware, what firmware did you use. I am confused as you earlier posted that the first time you tried to flash ( before you updated the usbasp firmware) you reported that there was no error, just a blank screen.
3. a picture of your usbasp. There were some usbasp that didnt work well with the 9x or 9xr, but I havent seen them for a couple years. It had to do with resistors in series with the programming line. I have no idea if the gruvin was affected.
4. what version of gruvin board do you have.

also:
1. Dont panic as I dont believe your board is ruined. dont start messing with the fuses or using the -F option to avrdude. The board will come back to life when it is succesfully flashed. Never use the -F option to avrdude.
2. your usbasp is communicating with the gruvin board so it isnt a driver issue and the usbasp is at least working properly on the usb side. Driver issues are normally windows related anyway.

there are just a lot of variables here. gruvin, mac, different usbasp firmwares, no error first time but blank screen, now getting a mismatch error. I must be out of practice :-)
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

rperkins wrote:
Koarl wrote: I was able to flash a stock 9x with a smartiepartsboard but with a old programmer. That time I used a old version of companion.
working with a version downloaded recently.
well it could be that the gruvin processor doesnt work with the older version of avrdude, but this information does make you wonder about the programmer. The smartiepartsboard comes with a programmer built in so I am confused when you say 'old programmer'.

Sorry my mistake. I wanted to say i flashed with a older version of companion.

Here is are the infos you asked for:

See the screenshot of what the -v command spits out regarding the avrdude version.

I used the firmware posted by romolo.
I can't tell if there has also been an error, sorry.

I will make a picture of the usbasp and find out the boards version when I'm back home.

Thanks for your help, I really apreciate it!

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

5.11.1 ver of avrdude is good for 9x/9xr. I would think it is good for gruvin also. I'm thinking we look elsewhere for the problem.
will wait to see your usbasp.
I wonder if gruvin posted his usbasp firmware.
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

That link is a hex file but i have no idea what it is.

Here is some info from gruvin source
https://code.google.com/p/gruvin9x/sour ... are/README

he provides his usbasp src but his binaries are not for m8 mcu which more than likely is what your usbasp has in it,

We really need someone with gruvin gruvin/mac experience.

Until then:
Lets see your usbasp.
If havent already post the hardware rev of your gruvin
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Ok now.
I found the firmware here in one of the last posts by romolo:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1308&start=30

I also looked up the boards version, it's 4.2

And this is my programmer:

Somebody with experience with this equippment would be great indeed. Maybe someone could post the appropriate tx firmware, programmer firmware and avrdude version.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Great. I know that programmer. Pretty sure in the upper left hand of your pic is a compoment with 8 legs, sorta looks like a spider. I think it is marked 101. Please confirm. 101 is good. That is 100 ohm resistor pack. If it said 471 that would be bad for 9x/9xr. Havent seen any bad ones for a couple years.

Not sure where to go from here. i could compile the gruvin usbasp for an m8 . First would have to be sure he used the same pins. If your sure you updated your usbasp firmware properly with romulo i wouldnt think it would be necessary.

later tonight i can look at gruvin 4.2 schematic but i would think 100 ohm current limiting resistors should be fine.
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

I just went out with my wife so I can't tell for sure but I think I can read 101 on the component on the upper left.

Regarding the firmware: I'm not quite sure if it's the right one, since I'm not so expirienced with this stuff it's very likely that I made a mistake.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

You talking firmware for the gruvin or firmware for the usbasp.

1. I think you got the usbasp properly flashed with romolu because i do not see the 'can not set SCK ' warning in your avrdude log. If you still had the chinese firmware on there you should have that warning ( which under normal situations causes no issues)
2. There is a good chance you got the gruvin firmware wrong. What i dont understand is why you are getting a mismatch error. not sure if the bootloader/fuses/code offaet would cause a mismatch. I am not familiar with these items .
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Actually both. [emoji23]
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1327
I think this is mr gruvin. Maybe you can pm him and he will check in?
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

Got your email. Sorry, been super busy.

Most USB ASPs (if not all) from eBay and elsewhere have buggy firmware, preventing them from flashing ATmega chips with more than 128Kb correctly. I tried a couple times to contact the USBASP firmware author with the fix, but did not succeed.

So, most likely I think, you have the firmware code from above 128K written over the top of the stuff starting at 0x0000.

Your USBASP can be fixed, if you have another one. :-/

I'm out atm on cell phone only. I can look up more detail later.

Sorry, I didn't have time just now to read the whole thread here.

Let me know if the above makes sense or if you got past that stage already.

Gruvin

Return to “Hardware”