AVRDUDE did not finish correctly

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

i tried to flash my 9x with ER9x several times,
the flashing process goes up to 100%,
after that the reading goes up to 100%
but right after eepe gives me this error
"AVRDUDE did not finish correctly" :?:

A solution please.
Verus Amicus est Tanquam Alter Idem

Crucial

Post by Crucial »

There should be more to the error that will give more info. Can you post a screenshot of the full error?
cre8tiveleo

Re: AVRDUDE did not finish correctly

Post by cre8tiveleo »

What did you use, eepe or c9? smartpoop board? soldered in programmer? Poutine inside the 9x? Screen dump?

If you're using the smartieparts board, it may need a cleaning, you never know. Do you have the radio powered on when programming? or just the usb power?
Usb power isn't always enough to power the programmer, try a cable that has two plugs into the computer, and one to the board. (gives it the extra juice it needs)
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

Here's the ScreenShot...
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

cre8tiveleo wrote:What did you use, eepe or c9? smartpoop board? soldered in programmer? Poutine inside the 9x? Screen dump?

If you're using the smartieparts board, it may need a cleaning, you never know. Do you have the radio powered on when programming? or just the usb power?
Usb power isn't always enough to power the programmer, try a cable that has two plugs into the computer, and one to the board. (gives it the extra juice it needs)
i use the Smartieparts board & eePe (r339) with stable Eeprom (r708).
Maybe if i leave the battery in the Tx, should i turn it on?

P.S. I don't know what U mean by a cable that has 2 plugs :?:

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I googled this problem. It seems most people who have this problem find out their mcu is bad. Have you plugged your battery in backwards or anything like that? Or done any modifications to your 9x? Here is a link to one post I found on the problem: http://www.nerdkits.com/forum/thread/995/

-Gohst
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

No change! same issue
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

It looks to me like the SM board is not seated correctly.
Try removing it, cleaning out the pads with a q-tip soaked with alcohol and carefully putting it back in place.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

That's what i said... :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qdkbi1
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

The screenshot showed a verification error. Smartie board says usbasp compatible. Maybe you can slow it down with the -B option to avrdude.
Last edited by rperkins on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

gohsthb wrote:I googled this problem. It seems most people who have this problem find out their mcu is bad.
-Gohst
I wouldnt think so
Last edited by rperkins on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

cre8tiveleo wrote: Do you have the radio powered on when programming? or just the usb power?
If the EL light and the programmer are being powered by usb bus,this makes sense. Is the light on ?
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

things r getting worst...

On my last attempt to flash the 9x, i got distracted and use a wrong binary called "r760".
The EL is not lighting up when i plug in the 9x like is was before r760 & now it shows me this...
Last edited by MojoMaestro on Tue May 01, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

I would say that it's actually getting better. Now it really does say that it is not communicating with the programming board.

Did you clean the connections? Did you replace the board making sure it's flat and all the pins are parallel?
Z

MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

Oh yes, cleaned the board and the connector pins with isopropanol 99%.
Last edited by MojoMaestro on Tue May 01, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

rperkins wrote:
cre8tiveleo wrote: Do you have the radio powered on when programming? or just the usb power?
If the EL light and the programmer are being powered by usb bus,this makes sense. Is the light on ?
Not all usb ports are created equal.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?di4h34
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

cre8tiveleo wrote:
rperkins wrote:
Not all usb ports are created equal.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?di4h34
Yes , i have have read Confusius too, lol.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

the smartie board is designed for the 9x v2 main board, if I recall. I would expect that you have the v2 board but this is worth noting. There is information about how to check which version you have and modify your board's location of one of the pogo pin pads to be able to use a v1 9x main board with the smartie board. It's a longshot but worth mentioning
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

rperkins wrote:the smartie board is designed for the 9x v2 main board, if I recall. I would expect that you have the v2 board but this is worth noting. There is information about how to check which version you have and modify your board's location of one of the pogo pin pads to be able to use a v1 9x main board with the smartie board. It's a longshot but worth mentioning
Oh yes i did verify that on arrival on the TX. it's V2. thnx.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

So currently you are back at the programmer can't talk to the main board. To fix this you need to clean pads, make sure the pogo pins are straight and working (they should have a little bit of spring to them). And finally that the programmer is seated properly. For me I get all of the screws started loose then give the smartie board a jiggle. This has lined everything up on mine all 4 times I have installed them. Then I push down on the center of the smartie board and tighten the screws. Make sure the smartie board is touching the spacers at all of the screws and you should be done and ready to program.
-Gohst
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

I believe in Murphy's law.
I'm basicaly an unlucky guy, after all that trouble it got from bad to worst.
Following the good advises i changed USB port & also changed my USB to mini USB plug.
When i went to plug in the mini USB the SM board outlet BROKE, i didn't even forced it.
It actually separated from the mini board holding it.
FFS, its a burden. :evil:

You guys think i should contact Smartieparts to get a replacement?
Last edited by MojoMaestro on Tue May 01, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

gohsthb wrote:So currently you are back at the programmer can't talk to the main board. To fix this you need to clean pads, make sure the pogo pins are straight and working (they should have a little bit of spring to them). And finally that the programmer is seated properly. For me I get all of the screws started loose then give the smartie board a jiggle. This has lined everything up on mine all 4 times I have installed them. Then I push down on the center of the smartie board and tighten the screws. Make sure the smartie board is touching the spacers at all of the screws and you should be done and ready to program.
-Gohst
Good advice but read the next post.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

MojoMaestro wrote: You guys think i should contact Smartieparts to get a replacement?
Yes. Steven is a really good guy. I'm sure he will help you out.
-Gohst
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Thanks for bringing this to my attn Mojo.

Both errors you experienced indicate poor or intermittent or no connection between the SmartieParts board and the radio's board. Things to look for (without regard to what's already been suggested and/or what you've already checked):
  • Remove the SmartieParts board and look at all 7 pogo pins. First, confirm they're all there! Then look at them from "front" and "side" and confirm they are reasonably straight.
  • Use your phalangical inspection tool (finger) to confirm each pin's spring functions (be gentle please)
  • Clean each pin's tip with 99+% alcohol
  • Inspect the pads that the pogos meet up with on the radio board. They are often reported as having a varnish type substance on them (flux residue, etc). Clean them thoroughly with 99% alcohol. Also make sure none of them have any abnormal solder blobs on them. They should be flat and smooth (please don't follow the advice I've seen from time-to-time suggesting you should "scuff" or "scratch" the pads... scuffing works for paint and glue, not electricity)
  • Confirm you do indeed have a V2 board
  • The board needs to be seated properly. Reinstall and tighten the screws a little to hold the board in place. Jiggle it a bit to center it, then tighten the screws more. Gently press down by each screw and be sure to take up any slack. Don't over tighten... but it has to be fully screwed in to work
That shoulda oughtta justabout dood it.

Now, regarding your busted USB port. Way to go, tough guy. Pushing a little itty bitty connector so hard it snaps right off. Hope you feel good about yourself! :lol: It shouldn't come off that easily. Send me an email with your order number (or at least your full name as ordered so I can look it up) and a reminder of what we're talking about and I'll fix you up.

- Steven
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

s_mack wrote:Thanks for bringing this to my attn Mojo.

Both errors you experienced indicate poor or intermittent or no connection between the SmartieParts board and the radio's board. Things to look for (without regard to what's already been suggested and/or what you've already checked):
  • Remove the SmartieParts board and look at all 7 pogo pins. First, confirm they're all there! Then look at them from "front" and "side" and confirm they are reasonably straight.
  • Use your phalangical inspection tool (finger) to confirm each pin's spring functions (be gentle please)
  • Clean each pin's tip with 99+% alcohol
  • Inspect the pads that the pogos meet up with on the radio board. They are often reported as having a varnish type substance on them (flux residue, etc). Clean them thoroughly with 99% alcohol. Also make sure none of them have any abnormal solder blobs on them. They should be flat and smooth (please don't follow the advice I've seen from time-to-time suggesting you should "scuff" or "scratch" the pads... scuffing works for paint and glue, not electricity)
  • Confirm you do indeed have a V2 board
  • The board needs to be seated properly. Reinstall and tighten the screws a little to hold the board in place. Jiggle it a bit to center it, then tighten the screws more. Gently press down by each screw and be sure to take up any slack. Don't over tighten... but it has to be fully screwed in to work
That shoulda oughtta justabout dood it.

Now, regarding your busted USB port. Way to go, tough guy. Pushing a little itty bitty connector so hard it snaps right off. Hope you feel good about yourself! :lol: It shouldn't come off that easily. Send me an email with your order number (or at least your full name as ordered so I can look it up) and a reminder of what we're talking about and I'll fix you up.

- Steven
All is verified ; all is good. Email sent. Thanx much
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

glad you got to the bottom of it
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

Steve (s_mack) from SmartieParts is an understanding & devoted fellow, here is the answer
i received today after sending the email yesterday night.

Date Ordered: Thursday 02 February, 2012
The comments for your order are: Your replacement cable has been mailed.

Your order has been updated to the following status:
New status: Shipped Out
Please reply to this email if you have any questions.
SmartieParts

(+ no mailing fee, ok it's Canada to Canada but it's far West to far East),
it's about has large as the all continent of Africa = 10 days drive.

Talk about Serious customer service. WOW.
Now that makes me a devoted client.
if they make anything i need for the 9x, i buy. :D

On reception i will reflash the 9x & keep U guys informed on it.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Steven is awesome in customer support. Thumbs up!
Z

MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

i got my new USB plug (from Steven), reverifyed & cleaned everything & IT WORKS !
I'm so fooking Happy now :D
MojoMaestro

Post by MojoMaestro »

i got my new USB plug (from Steven),i unpluged every external perepheric on my laptop, reverifyed & cleaned everything & IT WORKS ! Er9x is installed.!
I'm so fooking Happy now :D

Return to “Hardware”