Alternatives to 9X ? seems to me not so much

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
jmf

Alternatives to 9X ? seems to me not so much

Post by jmf »

Hi,

Trying to fix my Tx, I had an extensive look to the interior of the T9X. I was very happy with this product up to the failure. To be honest, the way it is built inside does not raise full confidence. a lot od not so nice solder joints, some splash on the boards, the electronics... Some failures can be expected. So I tried to look for another Tx, looking for a Tx that would have external RF modules, that would allow to use flysky modules for cheap HK recievers, and frsky for better performance at reasonable price receivers. JR extenal modules seems to give only one choice: JR XG11 ?

The quqlity may be higher, but the price multiplication factor is hudge. I don't know if lookin at Futaba is an option (and how to use my flysky module on it).

This finally brings me back to 9X... What a shame not to find something that would be sold 100$ with a better quality.

Would you see other alternatives to consider ?

Regards,

JMF

Crashj007

Re: Alternatives to 9X ? seems to me not so much

Post by Crashj007 »

You may not understand the tradeoff here. The quality issue revolves around labor costs, once the design is done. If you want a high quality, low cost radio you will have to include some free labor. Yours. In the USA the burden rate of an electronics technician will approach $100 an hour.
It is sort of like a famous hot rodder once said, "The only substitute for cubic inches is rectangular dollars." Same thing here, if you want to take the dollars out you have to cut out some manufacturing steps.
The experts here suggest you do a thorough inspection and cleaning of the system before you start modding and flying. Your labor rate? $100/hour ;-)
The way around the quality control issue is to design processes which are naturally effective in eliminating errors. That is what the surface mount electronics gives us. The devil is in the details of wiring and mounting and workmanship.
--
FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH from Nitroplanes
Smartieparts board & backlight
Stock Flysky RF and mainboard
er9x FW V 744
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We have yet to see it, but the FrSky X12D looks interesting.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

Used JR XP9303. Same modules from the 9X will fit.
Very powerful programming. Not as versatile as ER9X, but will do almost everything you would normally want to do.
Much better build quality than the 9X.

Pat MacKenzie
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

MikeB wrote:We have yet to see it, but the FrSky X12D looks interesting.

Mike.
I think there will still be a question of mechanical quality and QC. Right now the X12D is, as you say, yet to be seen.

Ted

Crashj007

Post by Crashj007 »

Yes, the JR XP9303 is nice but is it really 5 times better than the 9X at about $600? That is what it takes, though, to beat the FlySky system. For $100-$200 you could have an experienced technician QC the 9X, add all the mods and flash the latest FW, and still have enough money left to buy the finest servos and a nice airplane.
"Your choice of colors, too"
--
er9x FW V 744
jmf

Post by jmf »

Crashj007 wrote:For $100-$200 you could have an experienced technician QC the 9X, add all the mods and flash the latest FW, and still have enough money left to buy the finest servos and a nice airplane.
"Your choice of colors, too"
In your understanding, what would be the list of main QC to perform to ensure an improved reliability ? (I can start by myself). Are there at least common weakpoints to address systematically ?

Regards,

JM
Crashj007

Post by Crashj007 »

JMF, the usual trouble with electronic equipment is the mechanical bits - pots, wires, switches, and soldering, so the inspection should be visual, assisted by magnification. Screws and switch holding rings should be snug. The surface mount components should be inspected to make sure they are all there. Any flux should be cleaned off the boards wires and any loose solder bits removed. If any wire joints look like cold solder (sort of a dull gray instead of shiny) they should be re-flowed. A little contact cleaner/lubricant on the power switch and that's about all you can do.
Electronic components typically have an infant mortality failure, then last forever unless over loaded or abused.
--
er9x FW V 744
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

Crashj007 wrote:Yes, the JR XP9303 is nice but is it really 5 times better than the 9X at about $600?
Used XP9303 are usually ~$200.
Not sure you can even buy them new anymore.

Pat MacKenzie
Crashj007

Post by Crashj007 »

Pat, That at ~$200 sounds reasonable then.
--
er9x FW V 744

Return to “Hardware”