9Xtreme Upgrade Board for 9x Radios

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Wow, fast reply. I'm good I have many pancake cellphone motors I used in the er9x, and ersky9x board conversions. I'm good on the driver circuit and if I read it correctly, the regulator can handle the extra motor load.
I will ask this before searching for it, is there a haptic logic pad on the board? Is it labeled?
I usually hot glue 2 motors in the case, one each side of the front case half at the case edge to make case separation easy.
60ma ea but I may series them if using 5 volts. If this seems in the ball park, I'll do the final install that works for me.

One tip about enlarging the boards 2 bottom post screw homes. Don't use an electric drill. It'll pull itself into the plastic post real fast and could exit out the case front. Use a twist drill in a holder/tape wrap and twist slowly. Also the plastic shards will be drawn into the plastic LCD screen area. Bummer when you see it later. Make sure all that stuff if blown out of the case.
More when I connect up the xjt module and computer.

ShowMaster

Re: 9Xtreme Upgrade Board for 9x Radios

Post by ShowMaster »

s_mack wrote:Supported, yes. Included, not (obviously but figured I'd say it for those not looking at a kit).

you just need to supply a vibrator motor of your own and solder it to the appropriate holes. I documented that somewhere. I'll get it on my site sooner or later :)
If you'll post the pin and weather is a logic level change or a onboard driver ckt, I'll come up with a haptic circuit. Usually it's a NPN transistor, or 2n7000 depending on the drive current available. In fact, the Taranis haptic board is inexpensive, small, and 3 wires to solder. It's was sold as a part upgrade and may still be stocked as a spare part.
It runs in 3.3v usually.
Just an idea.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

We're good up to 500mA. Probably quite a bit higher really, but that's what it was spec'd to.

It is sort of labelled. It doesn't say "haptic". I have a numbered expansion header, with one pin being for haptic. I'm on my phone right now and searching is a pain. I posted it in the last 48 hours somewhere here.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'll mount the pancake motors and build a driver ckt on a small board while I'm waiting.
Is this the breakout area?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445401001.493952.jpg
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Close. That's the prototype. Here's the post I was talking about: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7718&p=102836#p102836

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I see pad 12 on the link is haptic and it has a trace on it. The pix I posted, the prototype says nc and has no trace.
I'll give pad (12) haptic, pad (1) 5v, and pad (3), ground a try. I think I'll series the motors and use 5v to keep the current draw low. They're rated for 3v ea so 5v should rattle them pretty good and be safe. I can always add a resistor or diode in series. I don't want to load the 3v CPU buss.
Thanks for taking the time to post this info.
I'll post my results in the next few days. Ersky9x already has the haptic in its menu so I should have all I need.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

We have 200mA total available on the 3.3V so you're probably OK but might be pushing it with haptic since motors can peak pretty high.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I tested the haptic on the prototype, and it worked fine.
For information, the haptic output is actually driven by the AVR processor at 0-5V logic level.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Do we need a transistor/FET to control the haptic, or is it already on the board?

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, you need the transistor/FET, as I said in the previous post, the signal is logic level (0-5V).
I had a spare FrSky haptic upgrade board which includes the transistor and diode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks for clarifying.. so, for a 3.3V motor, what would be the best place to tap the power for the haptic?
The 3.3V that also feed the processor seems to be out of question, right? I would like to parallel 2 of them if possible.. They will be driven by a N channel MOSFET transistor..

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
KAL

Post by KAL »

Waiting for my 9Xtreme boards I have 2 questions:
  • The 9Xtreme board is supporting two TX modules.
    Are both ports able to support DSM (for harvested Spektrum modules)
    or do I have to take care to which one I connect the Spektrum module?
  • Is there a possibility to read telemetry from a DHT directly in TTL?
    (I own a 2nd hand module from which the last owner had removed the converter chip :? )
Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

KAL wrote:Waiting for my 9Xtreme boards I have 2 questions:

Klaus
Klaus, are your boards also coming by Swiss Post?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
KAL

Post by KAL »

I still haven't asked for tracking numbers ...

Klaus
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
KAL

Post by KAL »

I made the experience that parcels from asia arrive here in a few days.
Then at the customs it can take up to several weeks till the postman rings the bell.

Klaus
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yeah, that is true.. :(

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Kal:
At the moment the internal connection only supports PPM and PXX. It should be possible for it to support the DSM protocol. I re-used the code from the Taranis version and, since the Taranis has a hardwired module, it doesn't support DSM.

I haven't tried it, but there is an uncommitted serial port (COM2!) at logic level. The port does work as I used it for debugging. I believe that if you wire to this (3.3V logic level), and set the telemetry port to COM2, then it should work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The 33ohm is for current limiting from 3-5v source.. The base resistor limits base current, and the E emitter, connects to ground.
The pancake motor draws 80ma @ 4v.
attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445442512.795994.jpg[/attachment]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445442532.887520.jpg
I've got to buy a good schematic drawing ohm for my iPhone. Any suggestions?

Circuit using transistor and a pancake motor. Basically what the Taranis board uses, but with a different motor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445442512.795994.jpg
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445442593.914726.jpg
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Well tapatalk mixed up my haptic comments with the wrong pictures. The board and hand drawn schematic are mine, the other is from an old post. I'm sure you can sort it out, ugh!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

MikeB wrote:Kal:
At the moment the internal connection only supports PPM and PXX. It should be possible for it to support the DSM protocol. I re-used the code from the Taranis version and, since the Taranis has a hardwired module, it doesn't support DSM.

I haven't tried it, but there is an uncommitted serial port (COM2!) at logic level. The port does work as I used it for debugging. I believe that if you wire to this (3.3V logic level), and set the telemetry port to COM2, then it should work.

Mike.
About support Mike. I wired up the black 9Xtreme board wire to my XJT module pin 5 via the module bay pins as we've discussed for Sport telemetry. I ran out of time to test a bind to a receiver. That's happening after some sleep.
11:40p la time now.
I see the ppm and pxx option in the model menu. The XJT module has dip switches on the back for the D or X receiver type. How do I sync those up with the model mode menu options? Does the tx menu option I select override the dip switch settings?
I'll of course try it all and see what works, but i thought I'd ask and get it explained for all to read on how to use the menu options.

I'd also like to mention the audio level feature ersky9x has I like. If I assign a pot to control my announce audio, it does just that but after the sign on. What I've found as a plus, is the turn on audio announce volume will read where ever the pot was last. So if I turn it to low, the turn on audio is low, but can't be varied until the announce ends. Just fine for my needs. I don't think Opentx will do this.
Going to sleep for 8 now.
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just leave the dip switches both down. Set the protocol to PXX and then the XJT is fully controlled by the radio, the dip switches are overridden.

The volume is adjusted between voice messages. This is done so that, e.g., the inactivity alarm can use a higher volume than you have set, and then change the volume back afterwards. The inactivity alarm has its own volume setting.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

ShowMaster wrote:Really good info Mike! I thought it over and remembered the pro sport XJT was a last minute addition thanks to the work you did with Frsky. So Sport pin 5 it is. Ok on not reversing the telemetry mods. I think I'll go for the spare board, but either way I'm covered with out any haste.
I'm not sure, but maybe Steven included the wire for the pin 5 Sport mod? I'll focus on the parts in the box before moving forward.
SM
Sport cable update. MikeB has posted that the black wire on the black and white supplied cable is the one I want to connect to pin 5 of the module bay pins counting from top to bottom. This connects to the xjt modules Sport and avoids any external wiring exiting the tx case.
No xjt module mod required to use this option. Pin 5 on the 9x back board has trace on it that goes nowhere, so no mod required there either.
SM
Thats the black wire sorted but where should the white wire connect to ?

regards
Hans
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

All good news Mike! Full on for finishing up the haptic install and testing everything as a working system today.
So far it's all gone smoothly for me.
I like the bright green display I setup so far as the best.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

"the black wire sorted but where should the white wire connect to ?"
The black and white wires are delivered to plug into the back of the DJT or XJT for telemetry interfacing.
Mike explained the if I'm using a XJT I can use the Sport connection on pin 5 of the module to the black wire, the white isn't hooked up.
For the DJT the B&W wires are for the TXD and RXD connection on the modules data connector. Im not sure witch is TXD or RXD but I'm sure it's mentioned. Just flip the plug if no telemetry, no damage should be done.

I'm not sure about the Sport connection on the back of the XJT module but the black would want to plug into the Sport there also. I'm not sure about the white in that case.
I'm sure Mike will join in with the facts after reading this and we'll all find out the facts.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

See: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182&p=103069&hili ... re#p103069.

For general information: The SPort is a half duplex, bi-directional signal, so only th black wire is needed for this.
The white wire is serial data being sent from the 9Xtreme to the module, and is only needed for the DJT, and then only if you need to alter or disable the alarm setting in the DJT module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

As I mentioned, a JST 2 pin connector will mate with the 2 pin supplied B&W cable connector. I chose to cut the red lead off of a JST and connect the black to pin 5 on the back board. This way I can disconnect it when I separate the case. The connectors aren't polarized now but black to black wires is self explanatory to me.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I saw the BTooth option in the menu. I have one I installed in my Skyboard that worked, but wouldn't connect to my iOS iPod so it went unused. 05 version I think we were using at the time Mike?
I think I'll move it over to this tx build at some point and see what it can do. I'd like wiring info later after everything else is working and flying.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've still to enable the Bluetooth code on the 9Xtreme. We have a single spare digital I/O signal (PA5 near top left of the board). I think I shall allocate this for use in controlling the HC-05 BT module, then the serial port can go to the BT module and everything else should be fairly straightforward to sort.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Put it on the future to do list, too much going on now. It's good to know it can work.

Return to “Hardware”