HP llap top compatability

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
AussieJohn

HP llap top compatability

Post by AussieJohn »

Hi Folks

I have just bought a new Taranis Plus TX and am trying to get it working from my Hp laptop.

I have run Zadig program to install the driver and it times out and does not instal.

I am running WIN7 SP1. The laptop is an AMD processor.

What is interesting this lap top will also not run Eagle tree software. Eagle tree will work on an XP desk top but not this or another lap top using using XP loaded from the same XP desk.

HAs any one else had similar problems?

Comments welcome\

Cheers John Quigley

AussieJohn

Re: HP llap top compatability

Post by AussieJohn »

Hi Folks

Since I typed the above request I have made some progress. After many years of working with computers I have discovered one of my problems was a faulty mouse.

I did not think a faulty mouse would lock up a PC for a few minutes and then work. I had an identical spare mouse and the last three days has been free form locking up. My computer has made a fool of me.

Some more questions. Easier this time. Does any know of the tolerance of the 12Vdc required to charge the battery via the internal charger?

I had a plug power supply rated at 12vDC but for some reason I checked the voltage and it was 16Vdc. I did not check it under a load or use it.

I set up a PC power supply to use the internal 12Vdc rated at 8 amps to supply the TX charging circuit.

The green LED blinked when plugged in, as it should, the LED then went solid for over 24hours and never went out. It charged the battery. At full charge the PC PSU 12Vdc under load was 11.7 volts.

Is my problem in the TX?

Cheers JOhn Q
Bill

Post by Bill »

I had a plug power supply rated at 12vDC but for some reason I checked the voltage and it was 16Vdc. I did not check it under a load or use it.
An unregulated power supply will float up to a higher voltage with no load.
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It may well be the 11.7 volts is too low. The charging circuit includes a bridge rectifier and a diode, and a LM317 with a 3 ohm resistor. The 3 ohm resistor should have 1.25V across it, the LM317 has a dropout voltage of 1.8V.
Adding up 1.2V for the bridge, 0.6V for the diode 1.8V for the LM317 and 1.25V across the 3 ohm resistor gives 4.85V.
Take this away from the 11.7V and you are left with 6.85V for the battery. The only thing that can drop less voltage is the 3 ohm resistor, which would mean the charge current is reduced.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
AussieJohn

Post by AussieJohn »

Thank you Mike for you informative answer. I have industrial electronic experience and understand what you are documenting.

Reading much about this TX, some manuals say the charging plug is non-polarising. An other reference states the centre pin is positive. The bridge explains why it is non-polarised.

My 16Vdc should be OK and drop when loaded.

Just for interest: almost the same time as I got my new TX, and started to load the software for the TX, the mouse for my laptop starter going silly sometimes. My laptop was locking up for a short period of time. Took a while to eliminate the mouse as it did not seem like a mouse problem.

Thanks again JOhn Quigley

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The biggest problem is the LM317 isn't a large package, nor does it have a large heatsink. If you use much over 12V, it is the LM317 that has to drop the extra volts so gets hot.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
AussieJohn

Post by AussieJohn »

I have done some more testing. If I plug in a supply of 11.5Vdc when loaded the green LED blinks about 12 times and then goes on solid. AS it should. Following the above help I pluged in a rated 12Vdc supply that when plugged into the TX is sitting at 16Vdc.

The LED is a bit brighter and when the LED did not stop after about 25 pulses I disconnected the PSU.

So now I an here asking for advice/help.

Any information on the tolerance of the 12VDC?

In the mean time I will get a 12Vdc regulator 7812 and see how I go.

Cheers John Quigley
AussieJohn

Post by AussieJohn »

Some more info: I connected my Taranis to a SLA battery with an O/C voltage of 12.5V. The TX went through the complete charge cycle and the LED switched at the end like all the manuals stated.

Connected to this battery the LED flashing cycle lasted much longer than on the lower voltage.

The next TX battery charge I will use my 12V acid battery I use on my glider winch.

Cheers jq

Return to “Hardware”