FS-TH9X signal to module not working

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
dannemange

FS-TH9X signal to module not working

Post by dannemange »

I accidentally connected a module one pin off, so...

Module - Radio
RF - Not connected
GND - RF
VIN - GND
GND - VIN
PPM - GND

Now the module won't power on and the radio won't output any signal to the module (tried with another one, which powers on, but doesn't output any signal from the radio to the receiver).

Any idea what I fried? I'm guessing the voltage regulator or maybe a resistor right before the VR died in the module, but I'm more interested in what happened inside the radio.

rperkins

Re: FS-TH9X signal to module not working

Post by rperkins »

I shorted out the power pin on the module bay and it burned up a trace on one of the small boards in the transmitter. It has been posted on here previously
dannemange

Post by dannemange »

I read something about that and I've followed every track (I think) and I can't seem to find one that's broken.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Here is where my trace burnt but i believe other people had different traces that burnt.
viewtopic.php?t=6423&p=89821#p89821

I burnt my trace trying to measure the voltage on the pin and i shorted the pin to the adjacent pin with my probe lead.
dannemange

Post by dannemange »

I'm pretty sure I followed everything correctly and the pin on the back has a working trace to the processor. Which leads me to believe something died in there. Although I was able to flash the firmware again.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Looking at what you believe was incorrectly connected, you show both VIN and PPN connected to GND on the module. This means VIN will have been connected to the PPM pin. Such a high voltage will almost certainly have destroyed that output on the processor.
You may well need to consider replacing the processor. Many users have done this, and methods to make this easy are posted on this forum.
If you do decide to replace the processor, it is worth considering using either a ATMEGA128A or a ATMEGA2561. These both have more flash and EEPROM and, if you use open source firmware, will provide more features.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

dannemange wrote: Although I was able to flash the firmware again.
IIR you can flash firmware without a battery installed. The usbasp provides the power. so a good flash doesnt mean your power circuit on the tx is good.

considering what Mike said, the whole rest of your radio shoukd work except the rf module. I'm curious if a buddy box setup or alternate output pin could be used to test this out.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Set up the Tx as a student using PPMSIM as the protocol. This outputs the PPM signal on a different processor pin.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Roesj21

Post by Roesj21 »

Hello, I know this is not the right way and place but I don’t know how else to do it, but I’m trying to get contact with ‘dannemange’. If you are the danemange that makes gear for the Philips D6920, can you please contact me at: [email protected] . I wouls be so gratefull if you can help me out! Thanks.
Sjoerd

Return to “Hardware”