JR module advice please

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
bandit12

JR module advice please

Post by bandit12 »

Hi,

I've bought a Taranis from T9 hobbysport a few weeks ago and WOW I'm impressed:-) Bit different my spectrum DX6 I've been using for the few years but the more I play with it the more sense it makes.
I've got about 10 models both electric and gliders and although I'm using the 8channel receivers that came with the tx on some of my models, I've a couple of older park fliers with orange receivers which I would like to keep as they are for the time being. My question is can anyone recommend a suitable module that fits in the back of the taranis which is compatible with orange 2.4 receivers?
I found some instructions on this website of how to modify and solder one but I'm not that confident with soldering electronics and 'for 'peace of mind' would prefer to buy one off the shelf.
Any advice is gratefully appreciated

Bandit

rdeanchurch

Re: JR module advice please

Post by rdeanchurch »

This one works fine for me for ParkFlyers
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
bandit12

Post by bandit12 »

Many thanks for the help :-)

Bandit
bandit12

Post by bandit12 »

Hi Dean

I took your advice and bought the Orange module from HK. It worked a treat on my first model but encountered a problem when binding to the second. For some reason the tx will only remain bound to one model. Binding to a second then wipes out the first requiring me to re-bind to the first which then wipes out the second! Very frustrating. Did you have this problem?
I suspect the problem is me not selecting exactly the right settings in the taranis menus. What settings do I need to select? (apart from external RF on and in PPM)

Bandit
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Is bone model using a DSMX receiver, and the other a DSM receiver?

Check the manual :)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

Daedalus66

JR module advice please

Post by Daedalus66 »

This sounds normal. What two receivers are you using? If they are not of the same class, it is necessary either to rebind or to change the mode of the module manually (three quick presses on the bind button to shift to the next of the four modes). This is explained (not very clearly) in the instructions.

EDIT
To explain a bit further. There are four classes of DSM receiver: DSM2 22ms, DSM2 11ms, DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms. Spektrum transmitters can switch automatically among these, matching what the receiver requires, but plug in modules can't. The Orange module switches to the correct mode only when binding; otherwise if you use different type receivers you have to change the mode by pushing the button. The mode the module is in is signaled by the light: no flashing means first mode, one flash repeated means second mode, and so on.
dvogonen

Re: Sv: JR module advice please

Post by dvogonen »

I find it hard to keep track of which mode to use for each model and I most certainly do not want to keep rebinding them.
I use the mode = number of led blinks on the module, as part of the model name. MiniDLG0 and asw2 for example.
Crude, but it works for me.
It would have been nice to be able to define the mode per model and then set it automatically as the model is selected, but we have no known interface to talk with on the Orange TX module.
Last edited by dvogonen on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob1420

Post by Rob1420 »

Hi the two planes we are trying to bind both have Spektrum receiver's one is a AR500 and the other is a AR600 DSM2 .we did try binding onto channel 2 /9 but that justs changes all the stick settings and you loose the first model settings when you go back to it !(BANDITS Mate)
dvogonen

Re: Sv: JR module advice please

Post by dvogonen »

Another thing that can cause problems is the recessed id button. If you press that one you have to rebind everything. Check that it is not touching the plastic cover, which might happen if the board or switch is slightly misaligned. Mine got pressed each time I touched the back of the module. As a result I lost all bindings all the time, which was a bit puzzling.
Rob1420

Post by Rob1420 »

Ok this is an update of my findings, each time I tried to bind the two Dsm2 Spektrum receivers one would overwrite the other or change the stick channels :? But when I bind the Orange receivers I have (Dsm2) both work perfect with no issues! So at the moment I have one Spektrum and two orange receivers bound to the Taranis I did have a go at changing the bind channel settings to two flashes but didn't seem to make both Spektrum receivers bind as one overwrote the other?? :?
KAL

Post by KAL »

I own a 9XR-pro and did it this way.
With Spektrum RXs now I have also model match.

With Taranis it should work the same way I think.

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Rob1420 wrote:Hi the two planes we are trying to bind both have Spektrum receiver's one is a AR500 and the other is a AR600 DSM2 .we did try binding onto channel 2 /9 but that justs changes all the stick settings and you loose the first model settings when you go back to it !(BANDITS Mate)
The AR600 is a DSMX receiver (even if not labelled as such). It was released before DSMX was announced, with the capability to do DSMX announced later. With a real Spektrum transmitter there is no problem, as the AR600 automatically either uses DSMX or reverts to DSM2, depending on the transmitter.

But with the Orange module, the mode must be changed each time you switch from one receiver to the other. For the AR500, the module should not be flashing. For the AR600 it should be emitting two quick flashes, continuously. To switch from one mode to the other, give three quick presses on the bind button, twice.

The other way to change modes is to rebind the receiver. When you do that, the module recognizes the receiver mode and switches to it. Of course, when you go to the other receiver, you have to rebind it (or switch manually).

By the way, for anyone flying UMX models, the older ones are DSM2 22ms and the newer ones are DSMX 22ms, so you have to be prepared to switch.

This is not a fault in the Orange module but a consequence of producing a plug-in module that can do all four types of DSM receiver. The problem is that the communication between the transmitter and the module uses the PPM protocol and is strictly one-way. So there's no way the transmitter can know and remember what type of receiver it's dealing with. The Spektrum DM9 module avoids the problem by simply not providing DSMX; it forces a DSMX receiver to bind as DSM2.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bandit12

Post by bandit12 »

Brilliant! Many thanks for explaining all that. It all now works a treat:-)

Return to “Hardware”