ER9X flashing problems

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
rontech

ER9X flashing problems

Post by rontech »

I have the flysky FS TH9X V-2 with smartyparts board and backlight installed. I successfully flashed it with ER9X. Well I went out to fly for the first time with ER9X and noticed the ele servo was running in reverse so I tried to change some settings and screwed the settings up so bad I couldn't fly at all so I decided to change the settings in EEPE and reflash the radio. After several tries, it didn't work, and now all I get is a blank screen on the TX. I tried several USB cables and taking the smartyparts board out and clean the contacts like I read on here, to no avail after several more tries, . Did I brick the TX? Trying to search on the web is very cumbersome. I posted this on RCG also but nobody over there seems to want to help. So far I removed the smartyparts board and cleaned the contacts, 3 times. Tried 4 different USB cables. Went to device manager and made sure the smartyparts USB driver is working, which it does. Powered up the TX with the back off and USB connected to the PC and the LED on the smartyparts board is lit. HMM can't find a problem. How can I tell if the pogo pins are getting a good connection? No way to remove main board with smartyparts board together to see if connections are good. How can I tell if the smartyparts board is even working? Or the mainboard on the TX? I am a machinist now but 30 years ago I took 4 years of analog electronics, back then I could troubleshoot to the component level so I do know a little about electronics, just have a hard time with the digital stuff and really thin wires like on my micro heli's, microscopic surface mount components and tiny solder connections, and the only test equipment I have is a multimeter. So I am lost here. Here is the error it keeps throwing out. Basically telling me that it's not connected somewhere.

================================================== ===============================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/Ronald/AppData/Local/Temp/eebackup.hex:i
================================================== ===============================

avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

rperkins

Re: ER9X flashing problems

Post by rperkins »

you are on the right track checking the pins , if the radio is not bricked. YOu never mentioned anything in you post that would brick it, so I dont see why it would be bricked. Maybe you should give more details between when you had difficulty with the servo being reversed up until the radio only shows a blank screen. Is the screen still blank if you completely remove the smarty board and try to power up the radio ?
rontech

Post by rontech »

I was trying to reverse the ele servo, and somehow I messed my settings up pretty bad and ended up losing throttle, ail moved the rudder, etc. All I needed to do was reassign the channels, and I decided to do that in EEPE and reflash the TX. That's when the problems started. It looked like it was working, but at the end AVRdude didn't finish properly, and I ended up with the blank screen. I disconnected the smartieparts board and replaced the connectors to their original positions. The screen is still blank, but with no backlight since I disconnected the smartieparts board. The instructions say that the pads should be smooth with no solder on them. The SCK pad on the mainboard has a little solder on it, but not too much. Maybe I should wick the little bit of solder off of it. I just can't tell if the connections are good or not with the whole thing put together since all the pins are underneath the smartieparts board and I can't see under there or get a meter on it.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

rontech wrote:but at the end AVRdude didn't finish properly, .
Do you remember the error ?

as far as the solder on the smartie, I dont have any experience with that. But the smartie is a popular solution. IIR it also has firmware on it that will respond to the -B option of avrude in case you go down the 'I think I bricked it' path. It is usually not a smartie board that is involved in a bricked radio. And I gave you a chance to admit you used the '-F' option, and you didnt bite :)

you do have the software configured for a m64 processor and you are using firmware designed for the m64?

I dont know much else what to say
rontech

Post by rontech »

No I don't remember the error besides AVRdude didn't finish properly. Yep I didn't use the -F option. I didn't know it but I have read on several forums that -F can brick the radio. I have it configured for m64 processor and using the firmware designed for it. I may try wicking the excess solder off the SCK pad and try again...

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Hopefully that will get it going and you had a previous flash that was incomplete.
rontech

Post by rontech »

Stooopid TX still sitting here taking up space. Still can't get it going.
LTMNO

ER9X flashing problems

Post by LTMNO »

Silly question but does your battery have more than 6.5v?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
rontech

Post by rontech »

Battery is at 9.5 volts right now
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try slowing the clock down a bit. In eepe, under burn|configure put -b 100 in the extra arguments and see if that helps.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
rontech

Post by rontech »

Nope, didn't work. I guess this radio will end up on a shelf collecting dust because it is useless to me.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Well, its been a long time since my last post... I do recall the last time I tried to update this particular radio that i had an issue and swore to never update it again.

That being said, I have sold it and was making some changes to the config and accidentally updated the firmware. I can't get Er9x loaded properly on it.

The Radio is my T9X with M128 upgrade, MegaSound Board with Serial Update ability, Rotary Encoder, Taranis Gimbals, Smartie Parts 2.4 board with TeZ Board as well. Yes that all fits inside. ;-)

9x-m128 / TeZ / SP Rev 2.4 / Rotary Encoder / Haptic / MegaSound9x(Serial) / er9x

Strangely enough, I can update the Radio to run OpenTx with no problems, configure everything and we are off to the races, the one caveat is that I can't get my X8R and XJT to transmit SPort data... hence trying to go back to er9x where I had that working.

Again, all works in OpenTx and is repeatable...
What doesn't work in er9x is that when i flash with latest er9x-m128 or er9x-frsky-sv, I get Bad Eeprom Data prompt on start.... I hit any Key and it just sits there.. I have left it for a long time, and still nothing happens. I can only flash via the -B100 mode as well with er9x for it to take.

Currently I found a .hex file in some other threads of a basic eeprom file... i have uploaded that with success but the screen remains blank now and don't get any bad eeeprom screen anymore.. but nothing seems to work either.

Thoughts?

Thanks gents!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As far as I know, openTX doesn't support the XJT on the stock 9x radio.. I could be wrong of course.

DID you try creating a blank eeprom in eepe and then flash it to the radio?

Also, I do believe er9x eeproms are NOT .hex files. Those are firmware files.
eeproms are .eepe or .bin files

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hey Joao, long time no msg.... hope all is well...
that being said, yes, i did try that several times...
Funny thing, i just remembered what I had to do to fix this issue.
I had to program the system with OpenTx via Companion 2.1. That was successful.
Then program it again with Companion 2.1 and load my Er9x File.
That was successful and then I could use eepe to program the Model Information.

Just finished this.. and am testing the model now....

will report back.
Last edited by LTMNO on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is strange,, did you update eepe to the latest?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

yup, r421 is the latest on er9x.com
and I am running it on a Windows Machine... I have had no success on my Mac.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It is strange then.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Tell me about it... the only problem now is that with r820 or r821 I can't seem to get the TeZ to enable... and fix the THR and RUD AIL ;-).
Starting the process over again...
Last edited by LTMNO on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You mean THR and AIL?? Not RUD?
Try the Radio Setup / Hardware menu. There is an option there for TeZ version > r90

perhaps that is why you don't have it working?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Correct, my bad.. AIL... I was in a B100 update/install so I didn't see the screen. I am loading er9x-128-r821.hex on there now... I have seen that in the Config Screen in eepe.. not on the radio, I will check.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

To enable the hardware menu, power the radio while holding the left horizontal trim to the left for about a second, and then release it.
Hardware menu in Radio Setup/Hardware should be enabled

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Strangely enough...
I have downloaded the file for r821 but it seems that this is getting installed instead

VERS: V1.748-Mike
DATE: 30.11.2016
TIME: 13.41.21
SVN: er9x-r820
MOD: FRSKY 128
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

jhsa wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 am To enable the hardware menu, power the radio while holding the left horizontal trim to the left for about a second, and then release it.
Hardware menu in Radio Setup/Hardware should be enabled

João
Thanks that worked great... I forgot about that... but the problem still exists.. i have noticed that my Gear/A0/1/2 were stuck... took the radio apart and am fixing a connect, seems to be a problem there.. then i will try again to fix the Ail/Thr
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Alright, where I am at now is that the side load cable for the TeZ is repaired and the GEAR and TRN and ID0/1/2 are working again... I had a lose GND wire in the connector.

I am still only able to update to :
VERS: V1.748-Mike
DATE: 30.11.2016
TIME: 13.41.21
SVN: er9x-r820
MOD: FRSKY 128

and the THR/AIL are still locked on... Seems to me the TeZ is not doing its thing. I have updated the firmware on the TeZ via the SP4 Board and USB cable.

Voice, Serial, all of the above are working...

The Hardware option is enabled for TeZ.

ideas??? IMO, the TeZ board is not working as I have noticed that the Rotary Encoder doesn't work either... so it must be there.

UPDATE,
-created a programmer that can put r86 or r89 or r90 on the TeZ.
-None of which fix the problem.

I wanted to see if the programming was happening at the command level.. it is.. all okay and no errors.
I am not sure if the r820 of er9x has anything to do with it. Does anyone have a copy of r821 available? I can't seem to download it as I get r820.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I made a mistake and r821 does report as r820.

Have you also ticked "FrSky Mod Done"?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:45 pm I made a mistake and r821 does report as r820.

Have you also ticked "FrSky Mod Done"?

Mike.
I have with no affect.
I have also found a bug with r820/1 with the Megasound-Serial option. It breaks the backlight and audio when enabled.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That option is to be used when you connect the Megasound board via Serial. If yours is connected to the LCD vias, leave it off, or of course, it will break audio, backlight, and throttle trims.. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

jhsa wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 pm That option is to be used when you connect the Megasound board via Serial. If yours is connected to the LCD vias, leave it off, or of course, it will break audio, backlight, and throttle trims.. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
Lol. Been away too long. That feature works great then. 😜
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It works very well :) I have basically an arduino voice module in one of my radios, and it connects to the 9x mainboard via just 2 wires instead of all 4 to the LCD vias, as well as the one on PB7.
This gave me 2 more switches (push buttons in my case) and also freed some other connections for other switches. My radio had also its ELE switch changed to a 3 position instead of the original 2 positions :)

All my radios were converted to more powerful boards, but I decided to keep this one with Er9x. I did change the processor to a m2561..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Problem solved...
The cuprit was a faulty cable that connects the TeZ to the Switches. Apparently the AIL Lead was faulty... or loosen from the Crimped Connector.
Luckily, I have purchased a Crimpt Set and connectors for another project that I was working on with my Laser Cutter. That being said, all the cables are good now and the AIL and THR are not engaged. How did I come to this conclusion... was when I finally got the other cable fixed, I had the Rotary Encoder and THR working... That resulted in the AIL not working and that had to be a faulty connection on that switch. Pulled out the Ohms meeting and sorted it all out.

P.S. FRSky Mod Enabled, TeZ => R90 Enabled.

Return to “Hardware”