XJT module and 9x

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
cae

Re: XJT module and 9x

Post by cae »

Thanks Mike.

I don't have a '128 running at the moment, so I can't try it, but look forward to a '64 or Sky ver.

I have had some success making changes to opentx, but it is taking a while to become familiar with the code, in particular adding entries to the menus, I think I have it sorted now, but I suspect you will have it done well before me.

Colin.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thank you both of you ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

I will get an XJT the 'second' it is working fully on ERSKY9X. ;) with built in DHT, 24 ch total at disposal, wow! :)
Great work, guys.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

One of the features of the XJT is the ability to set the failsafe from the Tx. To do this requires the failsafe settings to be stored on the Tx as they are sent continuously. This could use up a lot of EEPROM. 16 channels with 2 bytes each means 32 bytes for each model.

For er9x I propose to use 8 bytes, one each for the first 8 channels, and default the second 8 channels to the centre position. The resolution of the first 8 channels failsafe will therefore be lower than the normal control positions, but will be around 0.4% which, I think, is more than adequate for failsafe setting.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

hat is for er9x 64, right? the 128 has the double of the eeprom ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

May be for both. I'd like to keep the EEPROM structure the same for both, it makes maintaining eepe MUCH easier.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

so, what would be the advantage of replacing my current CPU with the m2561?
i'm asking because I blew my speaker on the er9x radio :mrgreen: and must open the tx to replace it.. Must also remove the sound board.. so, while all that is happening i could try to replace the chip ;)

thanks,

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If I put 16 bytes in, 1 for each of 16 channels with 0.4% resolution for failsafe, they will only use up a lot of EEPROM space if they are not zero, multiple zeroes are compressed so I'm probably OK doing that.

I'm not quite sure where we are going with the '2561. Apart from the extra flash it mainly adds 4K of RAM, but no more EEPROM than then '128.
I can use up flash by adding language support selectable from a menu rather than choosing a compiled version!

Back on topic:
I now have code running that allows me to bind with either a D8R-II or a X8R. I'm only sending 8 channels to the X8R so far. You can also select range check mode, although I haven't tested that fully yet.
I think I need to try to handle the SPort telemetry data next.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Receiver match as well? Or does that only happen in D16 mode?

Thanks Mike

Clive
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

model match is a d16 feature only.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Well it all looks promising. I'm now getting the telemetry data from a D8R-II, and it is all displaying OK. I have one of the new FrSky, low precision varios plugged in and I'm getting the altitude OK, along with A1 and A2. The only odd thing is we don't have a TxRSSI value, instead I'm putting the SWR (reflected Tx power) in there.
Handling the full SPORT telemetry for the SPORT sensors will take a bit more time (and flash!). The current cost in flash is 702 bytes, with 8 bytes of RAM also used.
Range check is also working, displays the RSSI figure while in range check mode.
I need to re-visit the telemetry handling, there is some duplication of functionality around. At present I'm just getting it all to work!

If anyone actually has a XJT module and a FrSky modified 9X and wants to try this, please post here and state if you want the '64, '128 or '2561 variant.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will have to try to buy one ;)

Or 2.. :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
gionag

Post by gionag »

Hello,
i've just have on the table a 9x + Sky9x board and an XJT module plugged in. also a X8R for test.
let me know if i can help in someway for your testing phase.

thanks,
Michele
cae

Post by cae »

Excellent news Mike.

I have not been able to do anything the last few days, as I have been in Hospital having a Hernia repaired.

I am back home now and should be able to get back into it tomorrow.

I have a '64 modified TX I can test with.

Thanks again for your great work.

Colin.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Getting very close to a test version of the code, just checking I haven't 'broken' anything already there. Just found I had, I checked a DJT module and got no telemetry! Found and fixed the added bug!
I now have an XJT that works in D8 mode to a D9R-II, with the telemetry OK, and also works in D16 mode to a X8R. In this case telemetry also seems OK for the (SPort) sensors I've implemented (vario, Lipo sensor, FAS-40) and can test.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
cae

Post by cae »

Mike, are the Lipo sensor and FAS-40 you are using SPORT sensors, or the old style through a hub to the SPORT on an X8R?

Also which telemetry mod did you use on that TX?

Colin.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes they are SPort sensors, FrSky sent some pre-production units to us to help with testing the Taranis.

I'm using a full RS232 buffer for telemetry. As I have a pre-production XJT (not in a case), I soldered a pin header on it to connect. Currently I have left pin 2 unconnected, testing that connected is one thing still to do.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Still haven't tested the pin 2 connection, and I don't have a proper XJT module anyway to be certain.

Here are M64 and M128 versions of er9x as it is.
er9x-frsky-xjt.zip
(138.69 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
If you select PXX as the protocol then a XJT is assumed and the telemetry changes to SPort. You also get "Bind" and "Range" options, use MENU LONG to activate when they are highlighted.
The country code option does need to be set for your location.
The FAILSAFE sub-menu (128 only) is test only, it does NOT do anything useful, and any edited values are not changed.
Only 8 channels are currently sent on the PXX stream, I'm still deciding how much of the code to include in the M64 version. If you have a real XJT, you can get at bind and range check without needing the menu options, I needed them as I don't have any switches or buttons on my module (ex-internal module).

Mike.

Edit: These aren't specific to the XJT, they just support it. They should work correctly, as before, if anything other than PXX is selected as the protocol.
erskyTx/er9x developer
cae

Post by cae »

Thanks Mike.
cae

Post by cae »

Mike,
Have tried '64 version, have not tried telemetry yet as the TX I am using is modified for TTL telemetry. Will fit RS232 to TTL later today.
Used an X8R and all seemed to be fine.
Does the RX number default to the model number? It shows as 0 in RX number field for a new model, until changed.

I hope to fit a '128 to a TX later today, and try that version.

Thanks,
Colin.

EDIT: Sometimes the XJT does not indicate it has gone into range mode correctly, the Red LED goes to half intensity, instead of off(probably flashing fast) although it does drop the RF level and beeb correctly. Also when PXX is selected, range check cannot be selected from the module, but I think this is probably normal if the firmware is constantly updating the module and keeping it in normal mode.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It doesn't have to be RS232, just needs to be inverted, so you could just use a transistor and a couple of resistors to invert it. The XJT also doesn't need to see any signal on pin 2 so you could leave any TTL output you have on that pin unchanged.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
cae

Post by cae »

I had a small board with an inverting level shifter on it that I was using for another project laying on the bench. I installed that just to get it going, appears to be OK.

Colin.
gionag

Post by gionag »

is it possible in some way to hack XJT as i did previously on the DJT to output RS232 Serial telemetry on Pin2 and Pin5 of the header and then catch-them inside the radio on the backplane ?

i hate to have wires that goes externally on the module into the case for connecting telemetry to the board.

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The XJT already outputs the telemetry data on pin 5 in SPort protocol. This signal is the same sense as RS232 (inverted), and a RS232 receiver should work OK. This is what I'm testing on a 9X that is already modified with RS232 for a modified DJT. You don't need pin 2 output data in the XJT.
BTW, I have changed the mod I've done to the DJT to make it compatible with the Taranis SPort input circuit. My DJT now plugs into either the Taranis or the 9X. See: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... tky#p57047.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gionag

Post by gionag »

ok...
assuming i have the XJT in D8 mode paired with a D8RII-XP (or similar) the telemetry format is still in S-Port language ?
in other words... the XJT outputs telemetry data in S-Port format no matter what kind of receiver is binded to (D16 or D8) ?

thanks...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have a 'real' XJT on the way so I can test it properly on the 9X.

Mike.

Edit: XJT arrived today (5th Sep 2013), now just need some time!
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Plugged the XJT into my Taranis and it binds OK to a X8R. Then I opened it up and checked the connection to pin 2. Seems FrSky have changed the resistor from 10K to 500 ohms, but I don't think an RS232 output on pin 2 will damage anything.
So I plugged the XJT into my 9X (128 version), selected PXX and the receiver I bound it to worked fine. Selected range check mode from the firmware and that is OK. You can't select range check mode using the button as the PXX data overrides it.
Just as soon as I'm happy with my other change to do with the stick mode operation I'll post a test version of er9x for others to try.
I'll do some more testing, but that will be later tonight now.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike better make sure we can't select range check mode with the stick scroll. Double confirmation would be safer??. Also a voice alarm played once when the feature is activated would be a nice idea.. I guess that must be hard coded..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You have to be on the range select then only pressing MENU LONG selects it, no way stick scroll can do that!
The display then changes to show "range check" with the RSSI value, and bleeps while in range check mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “Hardware”