Turnigy 9x magic smoke

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
ShowMaster

Re: Turnigy 9x magic smoke

Post by ShowMaster »

I also agree, a lot are saved but one is lost every so often. Mike hung in there and tried.
Time to replace the processor or to sell off the parts in good shape and start over.

Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

Ok, so we now call this a dead motherboard.
Thank you a lot for you time and effort.. so much brainpower in this forum.. :D
I've been talking to Skynorth and he got a rev3 board stored for me.. :D He's just a bit busy, but when this arrives it will replace this board :D

Thanks again
Beers for everyone on me :D
bstott

Post by bstott »

@Toroddandre

I just found your sad tale. I read the whole thing and through the frustration of the SCK measurement questions and then the pin 17 and all. Don't give up! It is now your opportunity to replace the processor. Take a good picture of the processor. Order the m128. Cut all the fine legs off the m68 and then clear off the stubs with your solder wick, sucker and such. Re-flux and tin the pads and then listen to all those that have been helping you. They are a strong group! I've been reading their exploits in the forums for the last year. Maybe watch a few YouTube smd soldering videos and within no time you will have a new processor on board. Then if all goes well you flash the chip with your programmer setting all the fuses, loading the Optiboot bootloader and new CompanionTX firmware.

Oh ---- You have to succeed!

I killed my 9X earlier this year and replaced the parts you did plus the vr in the Tx module which - POPPED! I'd pulled up a trace on the main board under the tant cap but , I think I successfully bridged it for a fix. My 9X is still dead. It will program and I do have a backlight that is working. I will check the contrast and the lcd cable connection.

From you I'm seeking your SUCCESS! For my radio I need to get down to more fine detailed troubleshooting. But, right now I've gone through the pains of your efforts. Don't give up! I've taken some notes to check things and want/need your success to give me the encouragement to fix my 9X Radio. I have one small advantage over your beginnings. I have done some smd soldering and I don't have giant multimeter probes. I'd soldered on some tales of clipped off resistors to my probes. Works good. I can bend them to suit the job and when they get too funky - I solder on some new ones. ;-)
Been there..... Don't want to do it again!
bstott

Post by bstott »

@Toroddandre

I just found your sad tale. I read the whole thing and through the frustration of the SCK measurement questions and then the pin 17 and all. Don't give up! It is now your opportunity to replace the processor. Take a good picture of the processor. Order the m128. Cut all the fine legs off the m68 and then clear off the stubs with your solder wick, sucker and such. Re-flux and tin the pads and then listen to all those that have been helping you. They are a strong group! I've been reading their exploits in the forums for the last year. Maybe watch a few YouTube smd soldering videos and within no time you will have a new processor on board. Then if all goes well you flash the chip with your programmer setting all the fuses, loading the Optiboot bootloader and new CompanionTX firmware.

Oh ---- You have to succeed!

I killed my 9X earlier this year and replaced the parts you did plus the vr in the Tx module which - POPPED! I'd pulled up a trace on the main board under the tant cap but , I think I successfully bridged it for a fix. My 9X is still dead. It will program and I do have a backlight that is working. I will check the contrast and the lcd cable connection.

From you I'm seeking your SUCCESS! For my radio I need to get down to more fine detailed troubleshooting. But, right now I've gone through the pains of your efforts. Don't give up! I've taken some notes to check things and want/need your success to give me the encouragement to fix my 9X Radio. I have one small advantage over your beginnings. I have done some smd soldering and I don't have giant multimeter probes. I'd soldered on some tales of clipped off resistors to my probes. Works good. I can bend them to suit the job and when they get too funky - I solder on some new ones. ;-)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

bstott wrote:@Toroddandre

Then if all goes well you flash the chip with your programmer setting all the fuses, loading the Optiboot bootloader and new CompanionTX firmware.
Negative, no bootloader on the chip ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

bstott

Post by bstott »

**** - site screw ups with msql errors causing multi-posts ****

jhsa - please delete this.
Last edited by bstott on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Why are you posting the same thing over and over again.. If you want to change stuff just hit the EDIT button and edit your post.. You don't have to post a new version of the same thing..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bstott

Post by bstott »

jhsa wrote:Why are you posting the same thing over and over again.. If you want to change stuff just hit the EDIT button and edit your post.. You don't have to post a new version of the same thing..

João
Sorry - website is screwing up giving me database errors and stating that it did not post. I refreshed and did not see my posts.... I'll get out of this loop! :mad:
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

test
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

@Toroddandre,
I agree with bstott. But I would change to a m2561 chip. Same effort, a lot more memory! One would hope that your problem is the processor. Chip quick makes it very easy.
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

This is now beeing realized... changing chip---
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

@jhsa @mikeb you where talking about a atmege 128 chip witch would fit on my board, could you please guide me ti witch one?
Bill

Post by Bill »

atmega128 or atmega128L TQFP package the L is not guaranteed to run at 16MHz (but it does) to be safe go for the standard atmega128 or atmega128A, Joao's suggests that its better to use the atmega2561
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No I don't recommend. I just said he could go for that one as some people did. I still have the 128 on my radios. But already got the others here. Just need to find time to do it.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Bill

Post by Bill »

I stand corrected :oops:
João doesn't suggest that its better to use the atmega2561 that's me relying on here-say again! :mrgreen:
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

this would od it then i guess?
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

The atmega2561 works just fine in all four of my 9x radios. If you haven't purchased the 128 then it seems to make sense to use the 2561.
I purchased these at Digikey: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/735457

Mike
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

Hmm, i don't seem to get a heads up when this thread is being replied to.. sorry for late response...

So this the clue, is the 9x 8 or 16 mhz? and is there large differences between atmega2561 and the 128 one? someone please give me direct links so i don't get wrong pinouts and such? i'm bad at reading about chip specs :D thanks mike for the link to digikey 2561 one :D i want the one witch is better ofc since i don't want to do this often :D thanks again everybody for your help in this matter :D best regards, Todd
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9X is 16MHz. There is not a lot of difference between the '128 and the '2561. They both have more flash and 4K EEPROM. The '2561 does have more RAM, but it will be some time before something specific is written that will use the extra since the other processers don't have it.

Unless you find the '2561 a lot more expensive than the '128 (get the 128A version anyway), you might as well go for the '2561.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

Thank you a lot mike.. then my next question is, what is the "AU" in the atmega2561 name? do i need specifficly this number? Atmega2561-16AU
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, the AU helps specify it is a package with the pins sticking out (TQFP = Thin Quad Flat Pack). That's the version you want.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The impossible takes a little longer!
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

Thank you again Mike... :D
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

Ok.. after a Loooong wait it's finally done.. the chip is changed. I chose a atmega128A as my substitute.. no i've soldered in the chip but it seems like I have a short between Ground and Reset.. as I install the usbASP it disconnects from the computer.. and the led in the usbasp goes dark. I measure on the solderpads used for the Flashcable and i measure short over Ground and Reset.. and when I measure on the chip I have a short on pin 4 and 6 on the row closest to the crystal. It should be mentioned that Yes i struggled a bit when soldering the chip.. on this side of the chip i did not get to remove the solder right away so I used some time _MAYBE_ overheating the chip.. also when I tried to flash in the abovementioned scenario i did so without assembling the Motherboard back into the case also just supplying the MB with the USBasp this might be not sufficient and the reason it goes black? Any ideas?

Best regards Torodd
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

In the absence of replies im flooding the thread mysElf. The chip was mounted 180degrees wrong. New try gets to flash but No life.. ripped a trace with might be the cause. . Ideas?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Could be that, or simply that applying power to the wrong place has killed the chip again.
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

Forgot to mention. . When changing orientation on the chip i installed a brand new one.. So the one in the tx Now is solder ed only once and correct.

And one more ting, this is another motherboard than the one i fried.. So this was working flawlessly before removing chip.. I was stupid enough to have a go at the working MB since i did not have the wrecked one at hand atm. Bah. Curriosity is a bitc**
Last edited by Toroddandre on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Picture of the mainboard?? you mentioned a trace. Pic of that too?? ;)
Good resolution if possible.. :)
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Toroddandre

Post by Toroddandre »

Will send when i get back home..☺
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What firmware did you flash?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer