Search for Replacement 9x Potentiometers!

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
bob195558

Search for Replacement 9x Potentiometers!

Post by bob195558 »

:D Hi:
There is now several options to help to repair, replace and/or install replacement Gimbals to fix your BAD Stock 9x Potentiometers.
I have also drew up a sketch of the substandard Stock 9x Potentiometers that maybe useful information.
In the following posts you will find some good info and several good options to help you to fix your Bad 9x Potentiometers.
One of .the BEST options is to upgrade to the FrSky Taranis Replacement Gimbals. (see below)

Oct 14, 2016 Added Edit: New News Bulletin - replacement Gimbals for the 9x radios
(http://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-TH9X- ... mds=search).
Also see here: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2974&start=270#p120004).
Not sure of the quality (reliability) and feel for this new 9x replacement Gimbal.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:D One of the BEST Options is to upgrade to the FrSky Taranis Replacement Gimbals.
These new Taranis Replacement Gimbals from the FrSky are made very well and for about $30 you will increase the reliability of your 9X Radio.
You will enjoy the good feel and a higher reliability when you have these new Taranis Replacement Gimbals installed.
Click here for information on how to install Taranis Replacement Gimbals: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=4281&start=90)
See Taranis Replacement Gimbals: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=4281) and (http://www.frsky-rc.com/BBS/viewtopic.p ... 051ee8446a),
(http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ls_in_a_9X) for more info about using the new Taranis Replacement Gimbals.
See: (http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/ ... parts.html) . Cost is about $13.50 for each set.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:D Add Edit Feb 26, 2017:
The best replacement/upgrade Gimbal option for the Taranis, Sky9x, Ar9X, 9Xtreme (and maybe 9XR-Pro) radios,
is the New FrSky M9 Hall Effect Gimbals
FrSky M9 gimbals in a 9x - photos (traffic!): (viewtopic.php?p=126398#p125297).
M9 Hall effect Gimbals: (viewtopic.php?f=122&t=9683).
Some more info: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=9943&p=124857&hili ... or+Gimbals).
New FrSky Hall Effect Gimbals: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=9674&p=123960&hil ... or+Gimbals).
Turnigy 9x + 9 Extreme board + M9 Hall sensor Gimbals: (viewtopic.php?f=122&t=9683&p=123446#p123446).
Magnetic Gimbals for x9d & x9dp: (viewtopic.php?f=97&t=9609&hilit=M9+Hall+Sensor+Gimbals).
Hall sensor gimbals for the 9xr pro?: (viewtopic.php?f=122&t=9964).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Updated July 19, 2015:) Also for the 9XR-Pro and 9XR Radios you can upgrade to the Taranis Gimbals ! :!:
To see how, See: 9XR-PRO Hacks and Fixes at: (viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5657&p=99382#p99332) Part 1 and Part 2.
Video: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixeQ7FYjSPM) :!:
Other 9XR Gimbals replacement here: (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _39_s.html)
and (viewtopic.php?f=122&t=8269). .
Photos of M9 Gimbals modded into 9XR-Pro radio: (viewtopic.php?p=130689#p130691).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another option, you may be able to take apart your bad Stock 9x Potentiometers and re-crimp the eye-let rivet to the carbon resistant surface,
which may restore the poor connection between them.

You also can add some silver circuit ink from the eye-let rivet to the carbon resistant surface to increase the connection between them.
I purchased the CAIG CircuitWrite Pen Silver Ink and this works very well, but the cost for the CAIG CircuitWrite Pen Silver Ink is high
and you need to be very careful when applying the Silver Ink.

There is now an almost stock 9x Radio Potentiometer which can be used to replace your old damaged 9x Potentiometer.
See page 6 of this post topic for more information on what to purchase and how to modify
and install this replacement stock 9x Potentiometer.
This replacement 9x Potentiometer is from the 9XR Throttle Gimbal, See: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2974&start=150#p54150).
(Added update info 03/02/2015) At Hobby King Transmitter Gimbal Set (Left)-
Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mode 2: (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ode_2.html)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another option is to modify your bad 9x Potentiometer using the Hall Sensor Conversion.
See here for more information: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2974&p=96418#p96418).
You will see how to build and set up the Hall Effect for your old bad 9x Potentiometer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated Jan. 13, 2016 INFO: OK, here is where you may be able to purchase replacement
9x Potentiometers: (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-PCS-B5 ... b0eab6a8c9).
These are still unreliable Bad 9x Potentiometers though.
Note Added: These are not the exact 9x potentiometers, as the shafts length (barrel length) are to long to fit into the stock 9x gimbals.
But you maybe able to dissemble these and use there parts to repair your damage 9x potentiometers.

I believe it is Much better to upgrade to the Taranis Gimbals: (https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis- ... imbal.html) as they are very reliable.
Click and see here: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2974&e=1&view=unread#p109362).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Aurora Gimbals have been also used as replacement Gimbals for the stock 9x Radios too.
The Aurora Gimbals maybe more difficult to install then the new Taranis Replacement Gimbals.
Click here for more info about installing the Aurora Gimbals: (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=929) Aurora gimbal usable ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I appreciate any help in finding options to replace and/or repair our 9x Radio Potentiometers.
Sketch of the substandard Stock 9x Potentiometers.<br />Both the Taranis Gimbals and the Stock 9x Radio Gimbals <br />have a total 55 degrees of Gimbal Stick Movement <br />which is 27.5 degrees from Center Stick.
Sketch of the substandard Stock 9x Potentiometers.
Both the Taranis Gimbals and the Stock 9x Radio Gimbals
have a total 55 degrees of Gimbal Stick Movement
which is 27.5 degrees from Center Stick.
I hope this 9x Potentiometer Sketch will be a help to Search for replacement Potentiometers
and/or ways to repair our 9X Potentiometers. :)

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

bob195558

Re: Search for Replacement 9x Potentiometers!

Post by bob195558 »

I think its time we have the option to replace the Potentiometers (POTS) in our 9x Radios. It would be really good to have better quality pots in our 9x Radios.
I drew up a sketch of the Potentiometers that are installed in our 9x Radios.
I did not remove the pot from the gimbal, so some of the length dimensions were visual observations using my digital calipers and may not be precise measurements.

I appreciate any help in finding the replace Potentiometers for our 9x Radios.

I hope the sketch will help in finding replacement Potentiometers.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Sadly it's not the physical size of the pot that's the main issue here. It's the amount of resistance change when the stick is moved as well as what the total stick range resistance changes. This is needed to keep the servo movement in sync with the stick movement. If it's wrong you would get too much or too little movement.
The pots are usually made to give the correct amount of resistance required by the stick and encoder circuit it controls. As you can see in the stick pot element picture, they're are actually 2 resistive surfaces not 1 to creat the proper 9x stick to resistive change the encoder want to see. Muck of this is done in firmware and that requires special rewriting and takes up space.
MikeB would know more about all this be to date I don't know of a drop in replacement pot that's readily available. Some claim success but have not found large quantities or spares and haven't posted the actual comparison to the real pot linearity range, only that it Mo we their servos. Not good enough info to put them in elevator or ailerons for me?

Here's a picture of the 9x pot element.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362772468.319319.jpg
Hopefully HK will sell parts for the 9XR as promised in their original press release?
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Many people have been looking for replacements for a couple of years, but nobody's found any (apart from some that cost even more to get than buying a new 9x, i.e those in Spektrum radios). You're not the first at all ;)
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Here is a little info that I have.
Note: The 9x Radio's Gimbals have a total of 54 degrees of the Potentiometers spindle rotation. My guest is the 9x Potentiometers has a full 220 degrees of rotation for the full 5 K Resistance (Ohms) when not installed in the 9x gimbals. I have not confirmed this, as I have not removed the 9x Potentiometers the gimbals to check it.
I did check the 9x Potentiometers as it is in the 9x gimbals and the results were 4.7 K of Resistance (Ohms) using the full range of the 9x gimbals throw of 54 degrees.

I read some where on the 9x forum, where some one said, that it did not make any difference if the Potentiometers were a 5 K or a 50 K Potentiometers. I am not sure about that, unless,.. . . . . ... when we use the manual calibration settings with the er9x and/or 9xOpen and/or ersky9x, 9xRadio operating program, that it corrects the Potentiometer values. ..........................
I could ask the question and/or several questions of, why dose the original Turnigy V2 9x Radio software have no manual calibration setting and the er9x programs do?
Could it be that the % values between 5k and 50K are so small that it would make little difference in the end results? (Like if we had a 4k pot or a 6K pot would it still work?)
I do not know the answers to these questions. ...................................

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The pots rotate 270° mechanically, but the 5K resistive path is only the 60° at the center (you can see a bit the "scratched" zone on SM's photo above). Beyond those the resistance doesn't vary anymore until the end of the mechanical range. That's what makes them hard to find, because it's not standard. The mechanical throw of the gimbals is a bit less than 60°, that's why you see 4.7k.

The pots are wired as a resistive divider (+ at one end, - at the other, and sense in the wiper) This gives a linearly variable voltage whatever the pot's value (up to a "reasonable" range, if you used a 1 MOhm pot the small current drawn by the ADC would cause errors/delays).

The original Turngy software actually has a calibration feature, it's just hidden. It's used once at the factory to account for mechanical aligment tolerances (how the pot's axle is attached to the gimbal, i.e. where the 4.7k window is with regard to the 5k available), and in theory the user shouldn't have to recalibrate again after that. Same as with er9x, you just need to calibrate once then the settings are stored. The thing is that as the user flashes it and thus starts with no calibration, it needs to be done the first time so there needs to be an easy way to do it.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Here some pictures of the 9x Radio's Potentiometer.
Attachments
101_5536.JPG
101_5534.JPG
101_5532.JPG
101_5509 b.jpg
101_5527.JPG
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Due to the special construction of a 60 degree pot, as it is used as a voltage divider (like SM explained above) the mechanical range of the pot gives a voltage variation from end to end of about 0.2 volt to 4.7 volt. And this is the range the electronics and the program are designed for. If you use a normal pot with 270 degree range your voltage end to end range will probably be only around 2.0 to 3.0 volt resulting in less signal range.
Adjusting this with the calibration routine will result in 4.5 times less resolution for the channel pulse.

One idea that I had already.
Use a 270 degree pot with 20kOhm or 25 kOhm. use an electric conducting paint and paint the resistive track of the pot starting on both ends towards the middle, leaving the center 60 degrees untouched. That could result in a pot with the similar behaviour as the original.

Reinhard
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

:idea: ! _______ I have an idea!
This idea is not worked out so maybe its not plausible.
But lets look at it for the possibility that maybe, it could work.
:geek:
If the gimbals problem Potentiometer is totally unrepairable, then we could remove the resistive element end of the 9x Potentiometer.
Make note of which colored wire went to which solder lug termination of the problem Potentiometer and
unsolder and/or cut the three wires free.
This leaves us with the open end of the problem Potentiometer and you can seeing the end of the shaft with its contact wipers.
We need to purchase some other, 5K Potentiometer that will work for are needs and attached it to the opened end of the 9x problem Potentiometer.
We would need to shorten the spindle shaft of the new 5K Potentiometer and attach the two shafts together.
And then attach the two Potentiometer bodies together and after that attach the three wires to the new 5K Potentiometers solder lug termination.
8-)
Selecting a suitable new 5K potentiometer and working out how to attach it to the older 9X problem potentiometer still needs to be worked out.
A narrow body 5K Potentiometer would be preferable because there is limited room for a second Potentiometer.
8-)
If we could accomplish this it would allow us to upgrade these low quality 5K Potentiometer. 8-)
Attachments
Resistive Element End removed from 9x 5K Potentiometer.
Resistive Element End removed from 9x 5K Potentiometer.
9x Potentiometer with the Resistive Element End removed.
9x Potentiometer with the Resistive Element End removed.
View of Right Side Gimbals Removed from 9x Radio.
View of Right Side Gimbals Removed from 9x Radio.
5K Potentiometer with Support Screw added to help hold pot in place. It dose help!
5K Potentiometer with Support Screw added to help hold pot in place. It dose help!
9x Radio with Right Side Gimbals Removed.
9x Radio with Right Side Gimbals Removed.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

bob195558 wrote:We need to purchase some other, 5K Potentiometer that will work for are needs
That's the main problem, there are no other known 60° pots out there!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes, It's never been about the physical shape or size or shaft length, it's about the the taper per degree of rotation.
Keep thinking as we all want a replacement idea.
SM
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Sometime ago, someone was designing a circuit (and I think Mike helped on it also) for connecting the aurora gimbals to the 9x.. So, if it's not difficult to find pots with the same size, even if it is not a 60º pot, couldn't the circuit also be used in this case and provide the correct scaling?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

I don't understand what the problem is with the business with the 'special' range/track that this pot is supposed to have. Has anyone actually measured the resistance over the full range as it shows in the joystick assembly. Failing that. How about the minimum and maximum voltage on the wiper.

To me it would make sense to select a potentiometer value that would give the same resistance change for the given mechanical travel in the joystick assembly. I know that some of you may say that in doing that you are not getting the full voltage range that you would get with the original potentiometer, but does that really matter? After all you calibrate the potentiometers via the software, so that it knows the stick/pot travel/voltage range and treats that as being -100 to +100

Maybe the A/D resolution might not be as good as the original. I cannot answer that one. Maybe someone from the software team could enlighten us on that score. If the difference is minimal, then I don't see an issue with using a standard linear potentiometer.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Flaps 30 wrote:Maybe the A/D resolution might not be as good as the original.
That's the point. The ADC measures the voltage on the wiper. This varies by about 5V with the original pot, but only about 1V with a normal one and the same deflection. So resolution is 5 times lower.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

This is what I meant on my post above.. It might allow us to use a normal 270º potentiometer..

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=929&p=19330&hilit=a ... uit#p19330

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

ReSt wrote:
One idea that I had already.
Use a 270 degree pot with 20kOhm or 25 kOhm. use an electric conducting paint and paint the resistive track of the pot starting on both ends towards the middle, leaving the center 60 degrees untouched. That could result in a pot with the similar behaviour as the original.

Reinhard

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That would also be an option to try..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

The conductive paint sounds a good idea, until you try to do it!
You have to be extremely accurate, and the paint itself has resistance, not predictable.
I spent hours trying to get it right on a modified DX5e and gave up in the end.
I suspect the pots from a Spektrum DX5e or 4e would do the job IF they physically fit :?:
Given some standard pots that do fit, I think I would go with Mike's op amp circuit myself.

Clive
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

May depend on the paint you use.

I just tried, if it works, and I believe it really works good and was not hard to do. It may depend on the paint and on the pot.
It took me only minutes to get the following result:
I used a linear pot with 22kOhm that I had laying around. I opened it up, draw some markers according about + - 30 degree from center and paintet the resitive track with a conducting silver.
Had it dry some minutes (used the heat of the soldering iron to warm it up) made some notches at the housing to work as mechanical limit and put it together again.

The pot now has a total resistance of 6.6 kOhm.

I connected it to a 5 Volt BEC and measured the voltage of the middle contact.
With a mechanical angle of about + - 30 degree, it moves from 0.40 Volt to 4.51 Volt (the 5 volt indeed were only 4.88 v so with real 5 volt the variation will even be more.)

That. to my mind shows, that you "only" need a mechanically fitting pot to make a replacement.

Reinhard
Minimum voltage
Minimum voltage
Center voltage
Center voltage
Maximum voltage
Maximum voltage
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That. to my mind shows, that you "only" need a mechanically fitting pot to make a replacement.
Or the back of another pot that fits the original housing..

Well done Reinhard. We finally start having some solutions for this problem.. Question though. Any change of the paint start peeling off with time and varying the resistance?? I guess it would have to be a loooonng time.. :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

The Holy Grail would be to find the source of these pots, rather than taking one apart to modify. I prefer sealed pots with plastic film tracks. They have a very long lifespan.

The alternative would be to buy a few new transmitters, which for many it isn't a problem as they seem to have four or five operational, along with a couple of 'dead' ones they cannibalise bits from.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Sourcing the pots is the big problem. It seems it's just not possible. Many of us tried, myself included, with no results.
Buying more transmitters is not an option for many people as well, so yes, a good easy fix is very welcome and it seems we already have 3..
Crimping the contacts carefully with some needle pliers, getting another normal linear pot and applying conductive paint, or use the opamp circuit with a normal linear pot..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place .João
jhsa wrote:or use the opamp circuit with a normal linear pot.
That does seem to be a viable alternative. Now all it needs is for some enterprising soul to come up with a good quality pot and a small PCB (slightly bigger than the one already there) that has the op amp and the resistors on board. If one end of the pot is zero volts and the other is VCC then no extra wires would be needed. I would buy a couple just to have them as spares. :)
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Forgot to upload one more picture.

This is how the track looks like after painting it.
Btw, the resistance that I measured for one of the silvertracks was 22 Ohm (with only a low pressure on the contact, to not hurt the silver coating).
When the mechanical range of the pot is limited to the range of the stick movement, there is nothing that could hurt the silver track. I believe that it will stay functional for a long time.

Reinhard
Silver painted tracks
Silver painted tracks
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

When I worked on my 9x Radio 5K Potentiometers there is clear grease on the wipers and the resistive element end.
This grease must be for lubrication and it looks like it is Petroleum Jelly. 8-)

:?:
Was there any lubricating grease inside of the 22K Potentiometers which you painted with electric conducting paint?
And if you were to apply some lubricating grease to the conducting paint, would it soften the conducting paint causing it to fail?
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

These joysticks cost more then the 9x Radio, But Check this out there maybe something we could use:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... ntiometers

and/or 5K Joysticks

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch ... =0&PV1=611

The Rotation Angle: I think is the Gimbals, Total Degrees of Rotation Movement of the Gimbals Sticks.
Like Rotation Angle: 54°

When I view the pictures of the 5K Joysticks, I see a lot of 5K Potentiometers being used on them that may work for us.
But when I do a search for 5K Potentiometers, ........... they seem not be there for purchase.
Maybe I am not searching with the right Data.
Last edited by bob195558 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

The Rotation Angle: I think is the Gimbals, Total Degrees of Rotation Movement of the Gimbals Sticks.
Like Rotation Angle: 54°

When I view the pictures of the 5K Joysticks, I see a lot of 5K Potentiometers being used on them that may work for us.
But when I do a search for them, ........... they seem to not be there for purchase.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Could this one work?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/1088604

And if it could not work, why would it not work?
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

bob195558 wrote: :?:
Was there any lubricating grease inside of the 22K Potentiometers which you painted with electric conducting paint?
Yes there was somekind of a grease. In the range where I was going to paint, I wiped it away with my fingers.
And if you were to apply some lubricating grease to the conducting paint, would it soften the conducting paint causing it to fail?
I don't know, but that's normally not required, as the wiper does never touch the silver coating. But I suppose that not much would happen.

Reinhard
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Return to “Hardware”