Taranis Q X7 with USB failure

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Denethor

Taranis Q X7 with USB failure

Post by Denethor »

Hi, I'm desperate and I don't know how to behave. I bought a new Taranis Q X7 ACCST from Banggood. Unfortunately I believe that this one came to me already faulty or with some short circuit on the board. The first thing I did as soon as the remote control arrived, becaausr not having a battery yet, was to try to connect it to the PC via USB to use it in the simulator and I tried to turn it on. Immediately after plugging it in, it gave off a burning smell coming from behind from parts of the battery compartment. As soon as I found a battery I tested it and saw the following situation:
- It turns on normally with battery inserted and without USB connection.
- It does not turn on if I try to do this with USB connection and battery inserted.
- If the remote control is off or without battery just connected via USB, it is recognized as a "STM 32 Bootloader" peripheral and I can easily read and write the firmware.
- If the remote control is turned on (both in normal mode and in bootloader mode) as soon as I connect it to the USB port it is not recognized and I do not add any peripherals to the PC, neither as a joystick nor as an SD card for reading files.
- If I try to write the firmware on the SD card in bootloader mode, it writes it normally, if I try to write the firmware from the menu with the remote control accessed, the firmware is not written normally.

Does anyone know me what the problem could be or what could have gone wrong? Unfortunately, to send the remote control back from Italy to China, it takes 50 euros and more than a month between the round trip and I don't know if this involves replacing it with a new remote control or just further problems ...

You think it can be repaired without excessive expense?

Thanks

freddef

Re: Taranis Q X7 with USB failure

Post by freddef »

Cannot answer your questions as such, but after sept 2021 we seem to have a repeat of 2019-2020 USB driver issue. I also have a problem with needing to start my X7S before connecting the USB etc. In the PC, the radio is correctly identified as a Frsky Joystick, but it is non-functional as such. Used the earlier 2019-2020 recommendations for changing the driver, but it do not work. I both ran it with the original version of OpenTX (from ca 2018) as well with the latest version, same issues.

Others here that have the same issues? Some new USB driver issue?
rdeanchurch

Re: Taranis Q X7 with USB failure

Post by rdeanchurch »

Denethor wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:01 am ...
1- It turns on normally with battery inserted and without USB connection.
2- It does not turn on if I try to do this with USB connection and battery inserted.
3- If the remote control is off or without battery just connected via USB, it is recognized as a "STM 32 Bootloader" peripheral and I can easily read and write the firmware.
4- If the remote control is turned on (both in normal mode and in bootloader mode) as soon as I connect it to the USB port it is not recognized and I do not add any peripherals to the PC, neither as a joystick nor as an SD card for reading files.
5- If I try to write the firmware on the SD card in bootloader mode, it writes it normally, if I try to write the firmware from the menu with the remote control accessed, the firmware is not written normally.
Thanks
Are you using Windows, Mac OS, or Linux?

2- AFAK this is normal.
3- This is writing to the internal memory of the Tx. The SD is not involved, but this says the USB is working to me.
4- This sounds like a PC problem if 3- is true.
5- How did you test this?

Are you using Companion?
How did you test anything was actually written?
Did you write to different versions of firmware and then disconnect TX, turn it on and check the firmware version?

If 3- is true, it sounds more like a PC OS problem than a USB problem.
So I'm confused
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1

Return to “Hardware”