X9E upper display testing? (SOLVED)

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
timrowledge

X9E upper display testing? (SOLVED)

Post by timrowledge »

After all my recent 'fun' of rebuilding my X9E, it looks like sometihng has gone wrong with the upper display. :o

The tx turns on and the main screen is fine; the new rotary encoder board I made works fine, all the buttons do their thing, etc. But no upper dislay...

I've dismantled and pulled the cable for it to test for continuity, which looks good. Are there any other tests I can do before ordering yet another replacement part?
Last edited by timrowledge on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: X9E upper display testing?

Post by MikeB »

It connects to the main board on the 7-way connector P9. The connections are:
1. VCC
2. Ground
3. DATA
4. WR
5. Chip Select
6. LED + (VCC via a couple of resistors)
7. LED - (Switched to Ground via transistor Q9)

So you could check some of the voltages at least. If you have a 'scope, you could check the signal lines.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
timrowledge

Post by timrowledge »

Ah, thanks. The VCC & GND I can handle; I imagine the LED VCC is the same value ? And if the LED - is switched then it presumably changes at the point where the initial startup completes and the display would normally wake up. I don't have a 'scope at home but there are some at my makerspace. I'll see if I can make any sense of what I see.

At least it's a cheap part!
timrowledge

Post by timrowledge »

There's a good 5v between Vcc & Gnd and partial volatages showing my old multimeter for the other pins, which I'll take as evidence of assorted duty level digital signals. So it looks like something fritzed the display.

And of course, the availabiltiy of a replacement is currently asymptotically approaching zip. Sigh. I suppose I should get a 2nd hand X10 and revise my project plans...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

T9HobbySport in the UK are showing as having 2 in stock.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

timrowledge

Post by timrowledge »

Well, this was a 'fun' story.

After some delay in getting anything done due to parts of life one would prefer to avoid I finally got a replacement upper screen and... nothing. I couldn't believe the new screen would be dud, and in deed the main board was new, too. I double checked the cable I had extended and had been using before I blew up the old main board; all the connections seemed good.

Finally today I took everything apart and stared at it looking for inspiration. I stared at Mike's list of the pinouts. And stared at the cable connectors. And the list. And the damned connector at one end was reversed! Now remember, this cable had been in use before, with a working display. Nevertheless, pin 1 on the new main board was connecting to pin 8 on the display... So I swapped everything around and bingo! A working upper display.

So, anyone want a new X9E upper display cheap?

Return to “Hardware”