Modding a 9XR-Pro, additional pots/sliders needed

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
BiggsDarklighter

Modding a 9XR-Pro, additional pots/sliders needed

Post by BiggsDarklighter »

Sorry guys, I have been asking questions in apparently the wrong places. I am hoping this is the best spot for this with the most exposure. The 9XR-Pro specific forum seems to mostly be crickets, and this is perhaps more generic info I need anyways.

Background: I am reinventing an old Futaba FP gold case radio and stuffing 9XR-Pro guts into it to make the ultimate radio for sailing (sailboats, not sailplanes).

I posted these first three questions in the software section, and realized they are really more of hardware than software questions. Some slight rewording...

1) I want to eliminate the trim buttons and use pot sliders instead. Possible? How?

2) If I can't do the above, I want to add 3 pots (well sliders lol) to the radio for a total of 6. I already have 4 sliders where trim buttons would normally be so I can feel where the adjustment are for sailing and quick reference. Hence not caring or wanting the standard clicky trims. I can ignore, or hide those elsewhere. I want two available for additional separate channels. I could live with just 4 total, but that is still adding one more to the radio. I will explore this more in a minute below...

3) I don't need half the switches. Maybe 3? I can repurpose some of these for the slider inputs. But it LOOKS like there is a place on the 9XR-Pro board already where I can add in more stuff...

Okay some parts of the above are answered looking at the 9XR-Pro wiring diagrams I finally stumbled across. But not all of them. Lets lead with this one:

4) On J2 I have a spare DIG port. On J3 I have a spare ANG port. I am guessing DIG is digital, and ANG is analog, but the actual inputs themselves can they be used for either? I grasp that a digital input is on/off, analog is varied and that I need to wire each input type appropriately.

Mentero sent me the full schematics over here:

I have more questions, possibly. Lets just address these first. I found wiring diagrams over here also posted up by SkyNorth: (click on arrow next to wrote)
SkyNorth wrote: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:25 pm Here is the wiring diagram of the Pro.
It also shows where to connect things like a Rotary encoder, Bluetooth module , and extra switches....
Edit by MikeB: The wiring for the 6-pos switch is incorrect, see 9 posts down for the correct wiring.
9XR_Pro_wire_1_1.JPG

This shows some common modifications that users might want to do
User_Mods_1.JPG

This is what the other side of the RF Deck Board looks like:
9XR_RF_Deck.JPG

-Brent

Return to “Hardware”