Turnigy 9x for car/boat - will it work?

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Rsmike2002

Turnigy 9x for car/boat - will it work?

Post by Rsmike2002 »

Hi all. I’m new to this board so hoping I’m posting in the right place!

I’m in need of a new transmitter for my rc fishing bait boat and wondered if the 9x will do the job?

I would like it to operate like an rc car. Left stick up for forward, down for reverse. Rightstick for rudder. I have lights which I would like to operate via a switch and also a hopper/trap door. Is it also possible to have the sticks self centring?

I am looking to order this but don’t want to waste my money if it will not work in this way. Thanks in advance

stotty1111

Re: Turnigy 9x for car/boat - will it work?

Post by stotty1111 »

yes it will do as you wish, I use the 9x for my rc boats - however a cheaper option would be a flysky IA6B - if you want to view the manual for the flysky pm me and i'll forward an electronic copy!
Rsmike2002

Post by Rsmike2002 »

Thanks! I will have a look at the Flysky too. Are they relatively easy to program and do they have good range? My current transmitter states 300m but not sure how reliable that is
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

ok, follow the link to the English manual
https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/sites/defa ... 161001.pdf
in its as bought form there are 2 x 2 axis channels and the possibility of 2 more, either proportional potentiometers or switched with mixes of the switched if needed.
There is a software flash which will open up the tx to a full 10 independent channels, as previously(2 x 2) but a change to the programmable in that all 4 swithes become independent and the proportional potentiometers are also available.
This tx is not as programmable as the 9x family but they are for flight(all types)
My club uses the i6s systems to introduce the younger members to simple multi channel systems!
Good luck!
tony s
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

Ok, now received a connecting cable to link a pc to the FS-I6 with a download from GitHub.com a simple flashing job, did 4 boxes 15 mins max!
10 channels available after a little system reprogramming. It is also possible to reprog the tx to work with the old turnigy/eurgle/flysky etc V2 receivers - my club is well pleased with these units as it gives allcomers an opportunity to have a go with club boats when there is a boating pond associated with exhibitions etc!
Obviously this mod does not make the FS-I6 as flexible as the flashing of the 9X 9XR 9XR Pro but its great for land based stuff! ; - ))

Yak38Forger

Post by Yak38Forger »

Okay, bonus question now: is it appropriate for a small model boat... on the sea? Of course, I won't take it to navigate around the entire Spanish peninsula or bring it out during a storum, it'll be much easier. The thing is that I'm planning to buy a home in Greece for the holidays, and I'd like to build a RC boat as a, well, toy, just for me to have fun with. Of course, I'll find an appropriate to test it first, but its main point will be to sail on the sea - when the weather is ideal and the waves at their minimum, of course. So, I wanted to ask whether it was appropriate in terms of ranges, and if it wasn't too sensitive to the salted air of the beach.
Last edited by Yak38Forger on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

probably ok,, dependant upon size and likely waves. Another problem would be salt and its effects on the metal components, you could of course use stainless steel for them, but would probably have to be made 'in house' otherwise quite expensive. A yacht would be fine though.
Yak38Forger

Post by Yak38Forger »

Okay, thanks for the answer. If I clean it through and through after every trip out on the sea, will it be enough to protect the metal components from corrosion?
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

expect so, perhaps thin grease or a mix of thick oil and grease in the prop tube and the rudder tube might be enough, time will tell

Return to “Hardware”