D8R-XP red led OFF during normal operation

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Nadim

D8R-XP red led OFF during normal operation

Post by Nadim »

Hi there,

I noticed the red led of my D8R-XP is OFF during normal operation. (Green led normally blinking dimly.)

I've had this Rx for a couple of years and I've flown quite a lot especially in the last months, without issues. Nevertheless I do wonder why it's not working the way it's supposed to. I'm 100% sure this isn't the first time it does this, and it even may well be the case that's been like this for months - if not for ever. I can't really remember, as it works flawlessly and I hadn't paid attention to the led. But today I was setting up a couple of D8R-II Plus of mine (pretty much identical to the XP), and I noticed.

A few pieces of info to add to the picture:

- The Rx is operated by an internal Taranis' XJT in D8 mode.
- The Rx works fine, including telemetry and failsafe.
- Rebind: it works in the sense that it does bind, but nothing changes.
- HS mode: I can change it by pressing the F/S button for 6 secs, as per manual, but this doesn't change the behaviour of the red led.
- I tried disconnecting all the servos and it still does it.

Any clue?

Thanks

jhsa

Re: D8R-XP red led OFF during normal operation

Post by jhsa »

Does the LED flash when it goes into failsafe? Does it light at all when binding?
If not, then it might be a faulty LED or some bad soldering somewhere..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

The led definitely works. It lights up when binding and also with no signal / failsafe. Also, it tells me correctly whether I am in normal mode or High speed mode.

Also, it seems to be rapidly flashing when I connect power to the receiver but then it goes away pretty immediatly.

I found this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ed-LED-off

But in my case I can't really track this issue down to some specific thing I did to the receiver. As far as I can remember, it's been like this for a long time - I'm not sure if it's from day 1 though.

Also, since the Rx works no problem otherwise I'm having an hard time considering some hardware issues...

BTW, I'm using non-EU firmware in both the Taranis and the Rx, for what's worth.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Pretty sure it changed at some point with a receiver firmware update and the documentation wasn't updated, aka it's perfectly normal.
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

Thanks. I never updated the Rx firmware though. If it's a firmware update then they must have excluded the D8R-II Plus from the update, since I bought two of them a year after the XP and their red light do light up.

EDIT: I just checked FrSky page and it seems that the last firmware for the II Plus was in 2011 (before I started flying), and for the XP in 2015. I got the XP in 2016...

Couldn't it be the case that it has changed within OpenTX, like some different instruction the Tx sends to the Rx?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, OpenTX has no control over that.
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75bsCsEkmh0

It seems that the XP never had the red light always on to start with. This would also explain why in the RCG thread I posted earlier on about the guy was having the red led of the D8R-II Plus flashed as XP not turning on during normal operation.

At this point I think FrSky changed this while making the XP but never update the documentation about it.
ReneeDegutis

Post by ReneeDegutis »

Nadim wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 am The led definitely works. It lights up when binding and also with no signal / failsafe. Also, it tells me correctly whether I am in normal mode or High speed mode.

Also, it seems to be rapidly flashing when I connect power to the receiver but then it goes away pretty immediatly.

I found this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... d-LED-off-view

But in my case I can't really track this issue down to some specific thing I did to the receiver. As far as I can remember, it's been like this for a long time - I'm not sure if it's from day 1 though.

Also, since the Rx works no problem otherwise I'm having an hard time considering some hardware issues...

BTW, I'm using non-EU firmware in both the Taranis and the Rx, for what's worth.
Hi,

Why is it better to choose a non-EU firmware? I've been searching for the options: FrSky EU vs Non-EU on rcgroups forum too, but can't find the thread.

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For 'D' receivers it doesn't matter. If you use 'X', 'S' or R9M receivers, then you need to select the correct (EU/non-EU) firmware to match the receivers and to be legal in the European area.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “Hardware”