[FIXED!] XJT beeping

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
andrewju

[FIXED!] XJT beeping

Post by andrewju »

Hi,

I was given a strange XJT that always beeps whenever power is applied. Even if the model is not powered on, and even without PPM / PXX stream coming, it still does its beep-beep-beep-beep...

I guess it's either some internal alarm (though, I'm not sure what it can be if it beeps even without the receiver), or maybe a hardware issue.

I flashed it with the XJT_141016.frk firmware, hoping it'll wipe out any custom settings. Unfortunately, it didn't change anything.

Any ideas on what it can be and how to fix this annoying issue?

Update:
See this post for a fix.
Last edited by andrewju on Tue May 16, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewju

Re: XJT beeping

Post by andrewju »

Oh! I forgot to mention that other than the beeping, the module seem to work Ok. It binds to receivers, shows pretty good SWR (about 2 to 16, depending on antenna position) and does its job quite fine (at least I didn't see any issues so far).

It's just this beeping that worries me...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Most likely this is caused by "D8" mode alarms. Try the following:
Set the DIP switches on the XJT to D8 mode.
You will need to power the XJT, using it in the external bay of a Tx should work fine.
Next connect a serial port (full RS232 output) from your PC to the "D8" telemetry port on the XJT.
Run eepe or eepskye and select the Telemetry menu, choose the COM port and select the "module" tab.
Click the "Start" button, then click the "Read Alarms" button, the alarm settings should be read and displayed. If any are set, simply change them to "disabled), then click the "Write Alarms" button.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

Do you know if I can power XJT via its RS232 connector? There are the Rx, Tx, Vcc and GND. And when I apply 5v from USB, the module powers up and starts to beep just as if it was powered from the radio. So I suspect this should have worked...

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I was unable to read / write any values. It looks like nothing happens at all. Reading values changes nothing. And whatever new value I set (and then 'Write') in eepskye's Telemetry window, the value stays there until I close the window. But after reopening and re-reading the values, they're all default again (everything is disabled). So it looks to me there's no communication with the module.

I'm using eepskye and an FTDI RS232 adapter. I tried swapping Tx and Rx lines, just in case... Still no progress...

I'll check with module powered by the radio tomorrow.

Thanks!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have a "D" receiver you can bind to the XJT (in "D" mode set by the DIP switch), then you should see the A1, A2, RSSI and TSSI boxes at the top left become filled in. This will check the connections.
Just double checking that you did click the "Start" button?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think your connection problem might be the FTDI? Do you have something else like the RS232 Frsky adapter?
I don't understand why frsky still uses RS232 :(

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Measure the supply voltage coming from the radio. Could be a low voltage alarm.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I have the Arduino-based STK, FTDI and a CP2102. I just tried both the FTDI and the CP2102. But I got no success with neither of them. I also tried another XJT, but still no luck. I must be doing something wrong... :(

Hmmm... Can I maybe type in some commands via a terminal program (i.e. Putty), just to check the connection?

P.S. The supply from the radio is 8v. This beeping syndrome started on a totally different radio, so it's clearly not related. The voltage on XJT's S.Port Vcc pin is 4.85v. My other (fully working) XJT module shows about the same (4.89v).
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Would try to invert RX TX on FTDI with FT_prog.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

This makes sense.. RS232 is inverted, right?? So maybe that could be the problem

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just tested the following using a USB to RS232 serial adapter.
Set the XJT to DIP switch 1 ON and 2 OFF ("D" mode).
Set the Tx protocol to PPM.
BIND to a D8R-II by holding the bind button on the XJT pressed at power on.
Connect the "D" telemetry port on the XJT to the RS232 adapter (GND<->GND, TX<->RX, RX<->TX). I used a cable I made years ago with a 9-way D-type on 1 end.
Power on both Tx and Rx and make sure a servo is controlled.
Run eepskye, select the Telemetry menu, set the COM port as required and press the Start button. The A1/A2/RSSI/TSSI values immediately filled in.
I changed one of the alarms to "Yellow", then clicked the Read Alarms button, the changed alarm went back to Disabled.
To be sure all was working I did set an alarm to Orange and clicked the Set Alarms button, then changed it back to disabled and read the alarms again, the Orange setting re-appeared. I then set all the alarms to disabled.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I also have a problem with my DJT when connected to eepskye. I can read the values, but can't clear an RSSI alarm.. But lets fix the current problem first. Mine is not that important..

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

Which RS232 adapter did you use?

I did it in a similar way as you described, but omitting the BIND and the servo part. I don't have a D-series rx, so I didn't test XJT was actually in D8 mode. But the DIP switches were set exactly as you described (ON-OFF), and the protocol in the radio was set to PPM. So it should have been in D8.

Well, maybe it doesn't fully activate it unless there's an RX connected. I will try again with an X6R and will bind it in D8 mode (still need some time to finalize family events first).

jhsa wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:23 pm I also have a problem with my DJT when connected to eepskye. I can read the values, but can't clear an RSSI alarm..
Did you use an inverted RS232 adapter to connect to your DJT?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, I used an old Frsky adapter that I bought a few years ago.. I think it is a true RS232 adapter..
Also I believe you need a receiver connected, otherwise you won't be able to see any RSSI, or any A1/2 values..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Thanks!

Will certainly try it later today!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you had a CC2500 RF module in your junk box, and an atmega328 chip, you could easily breadboard a DIY Frsky compatible receiver with full telemetry support, in about 5 or 10 minutes.. ;) :) Ok, make it 20 minutes :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

andrewju wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:15 pmWhich RS232 adapter did you use?
I have a Prolific adapter that does full RS232.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

No luck so far...

I borrowed a D8R (just to be sure). It bound to my XJT set to D8 mode by the DIP switches (radio is set to PPM). I can control a servo connected to the receiver. So this part is certainly Ok.

But I still cannot get it to talk via RS232. I suspect it could be because of the inversion. Unfortunately, I seem to have a "counterfeit" FTDI chip, as I can read it with an FT_prog, but it doesn't store the inversion settings.

Is there, by chance, a way to use STK (original one or an Arduino-based) to do the same thing?

Another option is to build an inversion circuit manually...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't think the STK will work, it has a single, half-duplex signal line.
What CP2102 device do you have? I have the development kit, so that has (optional) RS232 buffers on it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

My CP2102 looks like this:
It has a minimalistic design - the chip itself, a couple of caps and 4 resistors. That's basically it...

The reason I bought an FTDI is that I couldn't find a way to invert this CP2102. I remember my first FTDI RS232 adapter worked great (inverted), but I left it with someone... So I bought another one and never needed an inversion ... up until now... :(

I'll build an inversion circuit (I should still have some MAX232A chips in some of my hobby boxes). Or maybe will just go and get another USB - RS232 adapter... do you have any recommendations?
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Ok, I put together a small inverter based on a MAX232. The link worked right after that!

Unfortunately, all the alarms were already in a 'Disabled' state. Just to try, I enabled each and every one of them, and then disabled again. But it changed nothing. The XJT still beeps... :(

User manual states that "constant beeps" are for antenna problem. At the same time, TxRSSI is reported to be about 100 and RxRSSI is about 85. So I don't think it has anything to do with antenna. Still, I checked the soldering on the PCB itself and changed the antenna rod with the one from another XJT. Nothing changed... :-(
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You should look at the SWR value as a next step then, that's likely what's triggering it.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

SWR in D8 is 'TxRSSI' (or TSSI, as I think it was called earlier), isn't it?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Just set it to D16 and check the SWR value.. Lower is best..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

João,
the SWR is perfectly Ok. It's about 0 to 1 in normal conditions, rising to 15-16 when I cover the antenna with my hand.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

andrewju wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 pm SWR in D8 is 'TxRSSI' (or TSSI, as I think it was called earlier), isn't it?
The PXX protocol gives SWR which is not the same as the PPM protocol giving the TSSI.
RSSI is the same with both protocols.

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Correct, SWR is not the TSSI.
In my case, the SWR is about 0 and TxRSSI (I believe that's the TSSI) is about 100.
It all looks absolutely normal to me...
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Update:

FrSky's tech support suggested to send the module back to FrSky for analysis / repair.

As I wanted to find the issue myself, they recommended to replace the EEPROM chip M24C02-RDW5. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a similar chip in TSSOP8 package in our local shops (there are plenty of options in SO-8 package, but I don't think I'll be able to squeeze it in). So I had to order some from abroad. It means I will have to wait for the chips to arrive (it usually takes 2-3 weeks).

I will post here once I get any news!
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Good news! I got my EEPROM chips today!
I'll post some pics to illustrate the process (just showing off my new USB "microscope", really... :) ).

So, this is the original EEPROM chip we're about to replace:

A closer look:
It's an M24C02-W, which is rated for 2.5 to 5.5V. FrSky told me the chip should be M24C02-R, which is 1.8 to 5.5V. In fact, I don't think it makes any difference, since MCU voltage is 3.3V and that's the voltage that should be feeding the EEPROM as well. Anyway, the new chip will follow FrSky's recommendation.

Here's the PCB with the chip removed:

And this is the new chip sitting on its place:

I switched it on, and ... no more annoying beeps! Everything works, the module is still talking to receivers, and telemetry is Ok, too.

Guess what! Last weekend another hobbyist came to me with exactly the same symptom on his XJT. The module beeps without any reason! Also, there's at least one YouTube video showing the same issue... So while it is not a widespread problem, it's not a unique case, either. I hope my experience will be of help to others.

BTW, I have plenty of these memory chips now. :)
PM me if you need help getting the parts or fixing your XJT.
macslad

Re: [FIXED!] XJT beeping

Post by macslad »

Hi Andrew sorry I could not pm you , I haven't been a member long enough apparently. Reading about you replacing Eeprom chip to stop bleeping in XJt module . Is this chip actually in the module or the transmitter. Could i buy a chip from you to do the same mod?

Return to “Hardware”