[FIXED!] XJT beeping

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
andrewju

Re: [FIXED!] XJT beeping

Post by andrewju » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 pm

macslad, sorry, I saw your message just now. :(

I sent you a PM in case you're still looking for help.

Svenn13

Re: XJT beeping

Post by Svenn13 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:17 pm

andrewju wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 9:40 pm
Good news! I got my EEPROM chips today!
I'll post some pics to illustrate the process (just showing off my new USB "microscope", really... :) ).

So, this is the original EEPROM chip we're about to replace:

A closer look:
It's an M24C02-W, which is rated for 2.5 to 5.5V. FrSky told me the chip should be M24C02-R, which is 1.8 to 5.5V. In fact, I don't think it makes any difference, since MCU voltage is 3.3V and that's the voltage that should be feeding the EEPROM as well. Anyway, the new chip will follow FrSky's recommendation.

Here's the PCB with the chip removed:

And this is the new chip sitting on its place:

I switched it on, and ... no more annoying beeps! Everything works, the module is still talking to receivers, and telemetry is Ok, too.

Guess what! Last weekend another hobbyist came to me with exactly the same symptom on his XJT. The module beeps without any reason! Also, there's at least one YouTube video showing the same issue... So while it is not a widespread problem, it's not a unique case, either. I hope my experience will be of help to others.

BTW, I have plenty of these memory chips now. :)
PM me if you need help getting the parts or fixing your XJT.
Hi Andrew,

Got the same problem with my 2 XJT modules.
Can you help me getting the M24C02-R chips? Please send me a pm.
Thanks.

andrewju

Post by andrewju » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Responded to your PM...

batko32

Post by batko32 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Hello everyone.
I have XJT with the same problem. I try to repair it for my friend. Replacing eeprom is easy for me. And should there be something written in his memory?
Thanks in advance.
I wish success to everyone

Toschi10

Post by Toschi10 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Hello, I have the same problem with my xjt module on flysky th9x.
I'd like to know if this rs 232 interface it's ok for connect the module with eepe software? https://m.banggood.com/FT232RL-FTDI-USB ... mds=search

Tibus

Post by Tibus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

I also encountered this beeping. I have two XJT module (I got an additional one for warranty issues, but that's another topic), and I have a Turnigy 9X radio with OpenTX firmware without the FrSky Telemetry mod. So basically I just changed the stock module with the XJT.
First I played with binding the receivers, etc. I found some errors, that the X8R receiver doesn't provide the correct channels on the PWM outputs as described in the manual, and doesn't provide analog RSSI on its output. But this part is offtopic.
But because of this errors I decided to upload the er9x firmware to the radio to see if driving the module only with PPM signal can cause such errors(there is only PPM in the OpenTX fw.). In the setup I could find that I can change the PPM to the XJT mode(I assume this is the PXX). And after I pushing through the options, there was DSM2, PPM16, etc., it started this disgraceful beeping. So initially it was okay, it look like the different signal modes drove it crazy.

I tried to communicate with the module on a serial line with the eePe software. It could read the RxRSSI value, it looked normal around 80-90, but the other values(TxRSSI, A1, A2) were all 0.

I set an alarm for a higher RxRSSI threshold, for example 100, and it immediately responded with beeping, but on a higher pitch. I could disable it after then.

So maybe the wrong signal mode could brake its soul, or maybe that I didn't make the telemetry mod and it couldn't communicate with the radio. So I don't know exactly what caused this beeping. I even set back mode to PPM, even uploaded the 'original' OpenTX firmware, but it never stopped beeping.

Oh, one difference I made: Mike said the eePe should connected in D8 mode, so I will try it in the evening.

Thank you the lot of advice,
Tibor

rx9abc

Post by rx9abc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:33 pm

I have one important clarification for XJT module. In my experience, after installing the new chip M24C02-R, you must re-bind RX to TX.

alecr

Post by alecr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:36 pm

I also just experienced the obnoxious beep of death from my XJT module...I'm so glad I found this thread. I ordered 10 of the proper EEPROM ICs as soon as I read this. Not all electronics suppliers I checked had them available in the TSSOP8 package, and I felt weird buying a single 5mm, 12 cent IC and paying $6 for shipping. So if anyone else runs into this problem, I can send one out for you. I have 9 left over.

Altogether replacing the IC took about 5 minutes, though if you don't have experience with SMT rework, it may be better to find someone to do it for you. I had my XJT working again just 15 minutes after receiving the parts in the mail.

One note...a few of the pins, #2, 3 and 4 (E1, E2, and Vss) are bridged by design. I had to get the datasheet to make sure I didn't have a soldering mistake when I checked for shorts and found continuity between those pins. Maybe I should have investigated a bit more before desoldering the original, but the datasheet cleared up my confusion quickly when I couldn't see any problem with my soldering.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Note that you have to be very careful when doing that, if you're replacing the eeprom you will have a transmitter ID that will be the same as anyone else having done that, so if you're at the same place than someone else who has done that you will likely be controlling each other's models..

Return to “Hardware”