S.Port output on a Q X7 radio?

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hi All,

In the new Taranis Q X7 there's an S.Port connector in the bottom of the radio. The manual just says it's for 'future use', so it isn't clear whether it is operational or not...

I was asked to connect an FSD (FrSky S.Port Dashboard) to the Q X7. I thought I will just use this port at the bottom, but there seem to be no voltage there. Is there something I need to do in order to enable it?

Otherwise, what's the best way to connect an FSD? One option is to use pins in the external module bay. It'll need a BEC of some sort, as FSD accepts up to 6v (or so the manual says), and a fresh battery pack gives about 8v.

Kilrah

Re: S.Port output on a Q X7 radio?

Post by Kilrah »

The bottom port has switched power that is used for sport firmware updates, but I believe it's battery voltage too (not sure though, my radio is from the first batch and doesn't have it...)

You could check by trying an update and measure.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The switched power should be 5V on the bottom SPort connector. I believe, by default, the power is switched off, and only switched on when doing SPort device updates.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Thanks for the hint!

Do you know whether this port on the bottom is controlled separately from the external module? I guess it is, as even with the external module enabled there's still no power on the bottom SPort connector.

But then the firmware flasher should have three options (internal module, external module and the bottom port), right? Because I so far I only saw the Internal and External options in the menu. Hmm...

In fact, I just made a test. I selected an .frk file in the browser on the radio and then clicked on 'Flash ext device'. Right after that, a message appeared stating 'FW update error, Not responding'. Not sure if it's my fault or something related to the beta status of the OpenTX 2.2.

P.S. This happens on OpenTX 2.2.0N369.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

MikeB wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 pm The switched power should be 5V on the bottom SPort connector. I believe, by default, the power is switched off, and only switched on when doing SPort device updates.

Mike, that's great to know! Thanks!

I guess the best solution would be to have an option to switch the bottom port between Always On (in case S.Port is in use by something like an FSD) and Auto (switching it on only during device updates).

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The bottom port does have its own power switch, controlled by a separate output from the processor.
Note that early X7s don't have any pins on the bottom port as they don't have the power switch, and the pinout on the board is incorrect.

I'm looking at how the correct pins, with a power switch, might be implemented on the early X7. The electronics isn't too difficult, but mechanically it is a little difficult. I want to avoid cutting any tracks on the main board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hmm... Ok!
There are pins soldered to the SPort connector on the radio I was asked to look into. I suspect the pinout is already correct there. I measured the GND and SPort pins and they seem to be the same as in the ext. module bay.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If we're sure that it's 5V we can change to have it powered at all times, but would just want a confirmation from someone who actually measured first.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Didn't Mike already confirm it should be 5v?

I am ready to measure it if you tell me how to do it.

As I said, so far flashing of SPort devices didn't work for me in OpenTX on the X7.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He said "should be", I'm asking for "is" ;)

When you do a "flash external device" power should be turned on for a few seconds until it times out.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I'll check again tonight, but as far as I recall it timed out immediately - I had no chance to measure the voltage.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I said "should be" from looking at the circuit diagram. My radio has the V0.3 main board without the switching so I can't be certain it is 5V. The circuit for V0.4 shows 5V switched for both the SPort connector in the bottom and the internal XJT with the main battery voltage switched for the external module port.
V0.3 circuit shows a fixed 5V on the botom port.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

All good then. I never got a v0.4 schematic.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Confirmed! There is a brief 5.0v when trying to flash an external device. But it's really brief - I'd say less than a second. So if OpenTX will have this port switched ON by default, the algorithm of flashing an external device should be updated. The flasher should wait at least several seconds for the device to be connected by user. Or the radio could just power cycle (off and then back on) the power on this port right before flashing.

While I still have this radio, I can open it up and check the revision or anything else. Let me know if something is needed!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Cycle power was already necessary for the module slot in case external module was turned on.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Then it's probably the easiest thing to do.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Kilrah,
Am I correct assuming the next RC of OpenTX 2.2 will have the S.Port connector +5v power enabled by-default? If so, do you know when the next RC is expected?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nobody's done the implementation yet, and we don't have a schedule.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I just installed RC17 of OpenTX 2.2 and it looks like this feature isn't there yet.
Will opening a ticket help to get it implemented?
(Sorry, I'm a lousy coder - so I can't really help with that)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

A ticket has already been opened for it but with low priority. We now want to release "official" 2.2 before considering non-essential stuff.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Understood. I will have to add a workaround then.
Thanks!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

MikeB wrote:The bottom port does have its own power switch, controlled by a separate output from the processor.
Note that early X7s don't have any pins on the bottom port as they don't have the power switch, and the pinout on the board is incorrect.

I'm looking at how the correct pins, with a power switch, might be implemented on the early X7. The electronics isn't too difficult, but mechanically it is a little difficult. I want to avoid cutting any tracks on the main board.

Mike.
Mike, I've just became interested in this port and I may have a first release qx7.
It was from a first shipment Aloft received.
Any thing I should look for?
If it is an early version, was a mod ever come up with? I'm able to program using the USB dual version frsky programmer so this not critical but still interesting.

Update
Looking at the port hole I don't see any pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If there is NO 3-pin header visible on the bottom port, then you have an early board where the connector has the incorrect connections.
I've done some work towards a mod to get this working, but I still need to sort how to mount a 3-pin header so it is firm enough. None of the three pads is correct, so the mechanics is a bit awkward.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks Mike. It's not that important, more fact finding. Are we able to do it using the module bay is interested?
I

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, the module bay method should work fine.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
l0gicNZ

Post by l0gicNZ »

Hi guys, did anyone have any luck with getting info out of the Q X7 Module bay?

I had a quick play with some Arduino and crossed fingers, but the serial/rs232/whichever is out of my experience range currently. I'd be quite interested in getting the info and passing it off to an Arduino in an attempt to visualise the information a bit better.

Think of the vario like a rising and falling line, much like on the ET Vector OSD, etc.

Cheers
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm reading elsewhere that with the latest Qx7 and otx fw, the module bay flashing method may not work.
I just haven't had time or actually needed to flash anything to test the port options.
If a otx fix is in to only use the lower case connector now, I'm thinking one could flash an older otx version or use ersky9x?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What's the question?

If the connector is there use it. If it isn't there use the module bay pins.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Reports say the latest opentx has eliminated the use of the module bay pins?
There was talk early on of being able to add the pins if they were missing.
From reports, it involves some board control parts that complicate that simple mod?
I agree that if the pins are there use them, pretty self explanatory, but will otx support the module bay pins now is the missing answer I haven't had a reason to try or the time.
So, asking the masses usually gets a current answer.
I actually have a older and a newer Qx7 so it's a none issue for me.
I am however, being asked that question at the field.
So a more important question and answer would be, does the latest 2.2fw support flashing from the Qx7's module bay pins no matter the Qx7 hardware version?
I don't know and have no free time to beta test an answer, so I ask those that do.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

My understanding of openTx 2.2 is:
If the pins are in the smart port on the bottom, then use that, and the module bay pins do NOT work.
If the pins are missing from the smart port on the bottom, then you must use the module bay pins.
The firmware can detect the build standard of the board (reads one of the JTAG pins that has a pull up on the later boards) to decide which to use.

Adding pins for the port at the bottom is difficult (pads are in the wrong order), and you also need to add power switching circuitry.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “Hardware”