Sudden "throttle not idle" warning while radio was ON

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Nadim

Sudden "throttle not idle" warning while radio was ON

Post by Nadim »

Taranis X9D Plus (no SE), OpenTX 2.2.4. Two RX8R Pro's with each one a XM Plus in redundance.

This is the first time I ever had such a problem.

I was ready to take off, I gave a quick throttle up from zero to WOT, and I got the "throttle not idle" warning on the display, as if the radio had been rebooted by itself.

I am not sure it is a reboot or just the warning popping out for no reason -- if it was a reboot, it must have been almost instantaneous, because no failsafe was triggered.

The only change I made recently (yesterday) was upgrade to OpenTX 2.2.4 and change my receivers to RX8R Pro and XM+. This was supposed to be the first flight with this config.

The radio is in good shape, hardware-wise. Now the only thing that I could think of, is that a flying fellow here at my field took my radio for a second and turned it on -- but then off again within 3 seconds or so. The splashscreen was still there, I'm not sure the radio had booted properly before he switched it off. Honestly I don't think this can cause any harm, but really I am clueless.

Could a bad SD card cause a radio reboot?

Any idea of what can cause the above? I couldn't find anything online.

Thank you

Kilrah

Re: Sudden "throttle not idle" warning while radio was ON

Post by Kilrah »

A radio reboot is possible, but it would skip the warnings so if you got the throttle warning it can't be that.
Are you sure you haven't assigned a switch to "reset flight" and bumped that unwillingly by any chance?
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

Thanks Kilrah for the quick reply.

Well, I am testing this out as I am writing, and indeed, it seems that something has changed with respect to the "reset flight" function with OpenTX 2.2.4 -- or even earlier versions, as I don't know coming from the old 2.1.9.

I'll explain what I had done back from the 2.1.9 days: I set up a couple of logical switches in such a way that if I go from "Landing" FM to "Normal" FM, and then, within 10 seconds or so I move the throttle stick up, then the flight timers gets reset. In this way I don't have to remember to zero them every time I take off.

But this had never caused the "throttle not idle" warning. It just reset the 2 timers I use, which is what I wanted.

I guess the "reset flight" function does something different now with the 2.2.4. I'll check out the details and make a workaround to have the same function as I did before.

Thanks a million Kilrah! I was already fearing some kind of electrical/physical damage to the radio...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes that has changed at some point. You can do 2 separate functions with reset timer 1 and reset timer 2.
Flight reset is meant to be "I'm done with a flight, I remove the battery, do a flight reset to get all the applicable warnings/checklists before putting the next one in instead of powering the radio off and on".
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The radio should not reboot at any time, no matter what you do, except turning of the power switch :)
In my opinion there is a bug somewhere that needs fixing :)

João

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Nadim

Re: Sudden

Post by Nadim »

jhsa wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 pm The radio should not reboot at any time, no matter what you do, except turning of the power switch :)
In my opinion there is a bug somewhere that needs fixing :)
?
Not sure what you mean here.

There is no reboot going on nor a bug anywhere. Please read post no. 3 and 4. :D

By the way I am not bothered at all by this change in behaviour in OTX -- in fact as soon as I found out it then took 10 seconds to reprogram the logical switches as to make it doing what it did before (as Kilrah also mentioned, two separate resets for Timer 1 and 2).

I don't fly electric, so the idea of "done with the flight, remove this battery and get another one in" doesn't apply in the same way, but then again it's not that with this change I lost some feature, it's only the semantics of "reset flight" that has changed.

But I did freak out at the field when taking a look at the screen I saw the warning! :o :lol:
Rafaxmen

Post by Rafaxmen »

Hello, Taranis X9D PLUS SE 2019, OTX 2.3.14
ISRM, AND RECEIVER UPDATED
RX R6 ACCESS OTA

When I move ailerons, suddenly throttle activates, some time for milliseconds as a glitch, some times throttle gets low revs for seconds intermittently...

What could be the issue?

Enviado desde mi moto g(9) power mediante Tapatalk

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are the ailerons and throttle on the same stick?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “Hardware”