A Firmware Updating Problem

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
Roger

A Firmware Updating Problem

Post by Roger »

Not sure whether firmware comes under this section but no doubt it will be re-directed if necessary.

Tried to update my FCS- 40A sensor today using the Frsky Update SPort software, FUC-3 and SPC cables.
The application shows Coms 1 & 3 in the drop down box.
Connecting the sensor the light flashes rapidly on the sensor, click on file and open the upgrade .frk file for the sensor.
The first red square in the application flashes and the ...finding device is showing at the bottom. Tried in both coms but it never finds the device.

All required drivers have been uploaded to Win 7 pc. This is my first attempt at updating firmware and want to get it working correctly on a relatively unimportant device before I start on my receivers.

Thanks for looking

Kilrah

Re: A Firmware Updating Problem

Post by Kilrah »

You need to only connect the sensor to the upgrade cable AFTER you get to the "finding device" stage.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hi Kilrah thanks for the reply.

I have done as you said with both Com1 and Com3 and left them running for 15 minutes+ and the device hasn`t been found in either.
Is there anything else I can try? Can you tell me what are the most up to date drivers and and application(s) I should be using please.

The only other action I can take is to remove the drivers and application and re-load but not convinced it will make a difference.

Appreciate your help.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What Tx are you using?
If a Taranis, then if you flash ersky9x to it, you can use "maintenance mode" to update SPort devices from the Tx.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Using a Taranis, quite happy programming it but get very nervous when having to implement firmware updates after one major problem, would prefer not to muck about with the tx.
Does the ersky 9x replace the existing version 2 already on board or sit next to it? Are existing models affected at all? Will have a look at it if it works in tandem with the v2 I may consider it.

Thanks Mike

Roger

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No ersky9x is an alternative. To flash it you need to backup your models first as the EEPROM has a different format.
What firmware version, of openTx, do you currently have installed?
I have passed all the code for "maintenance mode" to be added to openTx. I have also built, and published, a version of openTx r2940 that has both the bootloader and maintenance mode included.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hi Mike

My firmware version is 2.0.12.

I`d be very reluctant to change if there is the possibility that it could affect existing model setups unless there was a substantial functionality improvement that would make it worth while.

Roger
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Roger wrote:I have done as you said with both Com1 and Com3 and left them running for 15 minutes+ and the device hasn`t been found in either.
Instead of guessing it would be best to be sure which one you're supposed to use. Unplug the USB adapter, launch the update tool and see which one isn't there.

Then, how are you powering the sensor? Some people have had trouble when using USB power.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Have found that Com1 is the one to use.

1. Connected a separate rx pack to one set of the Sport connectors on FCS-40A current sensor.
2. Started Upgrade program.
3. Connected sensor after ... Finding device appears.
4. Still trying to find device after 10 minutes
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Make sure you don't power the FCS-40A before you connect it.
It is necessary that the PC program is looking for the device, then you connect and power the device at the same time. The device only looks for a possible update for a short time after it is powered on.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Roger

Post by Roger »

Connected the sensor to the rx pack and USB+SPC simultaneously after starting program,did not find device.
Tried again just connecting the USB and again did not find device.

I suppose that the only way to check for a defective cable is to obtain another pair and see if I get the same results. Unfortunately I am not aware of any flying colleagues that have the cables. I shall have to ask around.

Thanks for the suggestions, I`ll keep having a play with it all and see if I discover that I`ve had a very senior moment (at my age very likely). If I do I`ll report back for a slap on the wrist.

Cheers

Roger
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please double check the COM port you need to use. It is unusual for Windows to assign COM1 to a USB device. Have a look in "Devices and Printers" and look for "Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge (COMx)". The COMx will indicate the COM port it is using.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hi Mike

You were right, in "Devices and Printers" it was showing as Com3 and in properties it said that the device was working properly.

Unfortunately it didn`t find device when I tried again. I tried it using just the USB/SPC leads and again with the rx pack connected. I also tried it with the +wire disconnected in the SPC lead and used the rx pack, again no device found in any configuration.

I`m going to delete all the upgrade applications I have downloaded and start from scratch and see what happens

Roger
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just managed to update my FCS-40A using the Frsky-update-sport.exe program. When I got to the "finding device" stage, I plugged the cable in to the FCS-40A. The first time it didn't find it, and the LED on the FCS-40A was flashing rapidly. I unplugged the cable and plugged it in again. This time I plugged it in very quickly, no fiddling trying to line it up. This time it found the device, and the LED was not flashing. I didn't use any other power supply, just the USB power from the cable.
So, if you plug in the cable and the LED is flashing, the FCS-40A has stopped looking for an update, just unplug the cable and plug it in again until the LED doesn't flash.
I think the time the FCS-40A looks for an update command is very short.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Roger

Post by Roger »

Had a different result with removing and re-plugging in (after many attempts). I managed to get the plug on so that the sensor wasn`t flashing but each time I got the message "get device version failed". I then deleted and downloaded again the application and the .frk file and got the same result.

Roger
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The main remaining thing you could try is connecting only the ground and signal from the SPC cable, and using a Rx pack, with a switch in line so you can get a very clean power on to the FCS-40A. Get to the "finding device" stage, then switch the power on, hopefully without the LED then flashing.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Roger

Post by Roger »

Your last suggestion definitely gets it in the right mode, ie no flashing light easier, but still faced with the "get device version failed" each time.

Roger
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Running low on ideas now! I wonder if there is a problem with the SPC cable and board? The board has a diode on it. The band on the diode should be towards the three wires hat go to the device (i.e. away from the 4-pin plug. The three wires on mine are orange, red and brown, in that order with the orange wire closest to the diode.
If that looks OK, may only remaining suggestion is to consider flashing the Taranis with a firmware with supports updating the SPort devices. The Sport signal should really be something that goes from 0 to 3.3V. The FUC and SPC are a bit of a fiddle in that the FUC outputs a RS232 signal (at +/- 6V ish) and the diode blocks the negative going voltage.
The firmware uses the real SPort hardware in the Taranis that does output only 0 to 3.3V.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Roger

Post by Roger »

Partial success. I tried again and on the third attempt it came up with "device found-download" By the time I realised it had registered the sensor (3-4secs) it informed that "device timed out-re start this program". I haven`t been able to replicate that scenario again. :x

In case the rx packs are slightly down I`ll recharge them and try again tomorrow.

Is that a light at the end of the tunnel :?:

Thanks for your help today Mike, I think it`s a case of watch this space :)

Roger
Roger

Post by Roger »

My SPC lead (from T9) has the same configuration as yours except it`s yellow (next to diode), red and black

With the rx packs fully charged I approached the pc with a positive expectancy, after 20 minutes of trying I cannot even get the program to say "get device failed" let alone "device found"

Tried every configuration of duration (ie instant switching to 2-3 sec delay) between activating program and powering up sensor and powering down and up whilst program is running but no connection.

Can you tell me what reading I should get on a multimeter across the diode (signal) lead to ensure that it is ok?

I`ll give it one more attempt later today and if not successful I`ll give up and wait for Frsky to think up a more positive method of updating firmware.

Thanks again for your time in trying to sort this out Mike, much appreciated.

Roger

Return to “Software”