Bootable OS disk for RC apps ??

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
jtaylor

Re: Bootable OS disk for RC apps ??

Post by jtaylor »

OK, I kept messing with it and got it working before I signed back on to see your update. I looked and the firmware didn't exist in /usr/local/lib/firmware. I already had the firmware sitting on a fat partition so I mounted it and copied isl3886usb to /usr/local/lib/firmware - unplugged and replugged the adapter and the firmware loaded. Ran the wifi setup tool and was up.

I don't remember where I got it (was a long time ago) so don't know if it is the same as you downloaded or not. I do remember it has to be named isl3886usb so if you download it as a .arm you have to rename it. Here is the sum and md5sum of the one I used:

03/25/2009 09:02 PM 30,176 isl3890usb.arm
04/21/2009 02:50 PM 30,176 isl3890usb
04/21/2009 03:15 PM 29,500 isl3890usb-2.6.28.ar
10/02/2011 05:45 PM 30,064 isl3886usb
4 File(s) 119,916 bytes
0 Dir(s) 393,707,520 bytes free

D:\linux>sum isl3886usb
00801 30

D:\linux>md5sum md5sum isl3886usb
md5sum: md5sum: No such file or directory
750955620d00128af2953a301468b757 *isl3886usb

I had a Netgear WG111v2 usb wireless laying here on the desk so tried it too. It had no problems, ran the wifi app and it came right up.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

thanks for the update. I was typing up a reply as your checked in. I was wondering about the filename and you confirmed it

the files they have on the dev page I linked to dont match what you have. the cutoff point for transition is 2.6.28

EDIT - I just noticed that your file is actually newer than the one I linked to. I found the file that matches your md5sum. I will use that one. i got them from here https://daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-fw/
ps. that is an old wifi card isnt it :)

I wonder if this file will work for you. If it does I can bundle up the 4 firmwares files , rename them , and package them properly for tiny core
http://daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-fw ... 0.lm86.arm

now if everyone is as knowledgeable as you to get their wifi working I wll be golden :)
thanks so much
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

jtaylor wrote: copied isl3886usb to /usr/local/lib/firmware - unplugged and replugged the adapter and the firmware loaded. Ran the wifi setup tool and was up.
Updated the .iso and added a package with the P54 wireless firmwares. These firmwares have an unknown license so that may be why tiny core doesnt include them. Used the latest version of the 4 variants(pci/usb (2)/spi). one of those is the exact one you mentioned. Let me know if it doesnt work or if you have any other feedback. My OCD wants to make a p54 dir in /usr/local/lib/firmware and drop them in there but I dont know if that would work.

There is the ability to have your wifi network come up on boot
add 'sudo wifi.sh -a' to one of your startup files. I believe creating an executable file in ~/.X.d/ would work. it will start the first network listed at ~/wifi.db . fairly easy but I wouldnt give it good marks in security. Again something to add to the FAQ down the line.
jtaylor

Post by jtaylor »

Tried the updated .iso, firmware loaded into my wireless and it came right up. Yes, that is probably a 10 or 11 year old usb adapter. I have them on a couple of systems and they still work so keep moving them along.

I brought up Companion9x and was able to download the Taranis firmware using the wireless. I also connected my Taranis (powered off) and was able to read the firmware from it and save it so dfu-util works. I disconnected it and connected it again (powered on). As before, it didn't automount the eeprom or sdcards and I got the unable to locate device error when I tried to read the eeprom. Mounted them manually and was then able to read the eeprom.

I'm not sure of the best way to handle mounting the transmitter. TC sets up mount points for everything it finds (including all your hard disk partitions), but doesn't mount anything. And you certainly don't want it mounting everything, only what was plugged in after it boots. When I get some time I'll try to figure out how to do that.

Looks good. I think once openTX v2 is out if you put the new Companion on it and put the v2 firmware in ~tc it will give people that can't get the dfu drivers to work a way to get to v2 so they can use the new bootloader.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

jtaylor wrote: Looks good. I think once openTX v2 is out if you put the new Companion on it and put the v2 firmware in ~tc it will give people that can't get the dfu drivers to work a way to get to v2 so they can use the new bootloader.
Thanks for the feedback.
Maybe the mounting thing can be handled with some instructions on using the mounttool or maybe with udev ?

The companion 2.0 will need qt 4.8. The tiny core qt maintainer doesnt have time to update the package, he has provided access to his scripts but they need updating themself.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... l#msg99076
I'd like to eventually package qr 4.8.x for tinycore 5.x

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Well was working on the website docs tonight and came back to this thread to be sure the url was still good. It was but was not easy for me to find. If I cant find it I'm sure you're not going to easily find it. Cant edit the first post So here it is again

bootable iso to be burned to cdr/dvdr or copied to a flash drive. runs fast entirely in memory. very low footprint

includes
  • Companion 9x
  • Eepe
  • KK multicopter Flash tool
  • Under 100MB download size
http://9xrprogrammer.com/index.php/rc-bootdisk

The disk itself is pretty much ready for a more general release ( unless you find a bug ). I want the docs to be in better shape beforehand though. Feedback appreciated
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I had an email about updating the rc boot disk to work with opentx 2.0
I thought I would copy the bad news to this thread
The earliest I could get back to this would be mid July. More than likely it is a winter project.
The ease of fixing this is primarily dependent on what version of QT Tiny core linux is supporting at this time.

Please post your interest in the rc boot disk in this thread. I will use it to gauge the need.
currently the rc boot disk meets the need of a troubleshooting tool for users of usbasp devices although it does not utilize the latest versions of rc firmware.

---- why opentx 2.x wont work on the rc boot disk
the short of it is opentx 2.x will not easily work with the RC Boot
disk. I doubt i will be working on it this summer. It is not a
simple fix

The RC boot disk currently will not work with opentx 2.x . The rc
boot disk uses tiny core linux as the base system. the newest version
of tiny core linux did not have a QT library compiled for it. I used
an older version of Tiny core linux that has QT. However the versoin
of qt will not work with opentx 2.0

I'm sorry as I know this isnt the answer you are looking for

for more information
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4648&start=30#p72711

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... l#msg99162
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Just did a check and Tiny Core Linux has now packaged base version of qt that should work with opentx 2.x .

I could work on updating the iso to include opentx 2.x and a newer version of eepe if there is an interest.
I see a few downloads a week happening. Not sure if it is being used.

Hope everyone is having a good summer ( well it is summertime here :) )

Return to “Software”