FrSky Taranis plus sometime becoming suddenly mute

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
Nadim

FrSky Taranis plus sometime becoming suddenly mute

Post by Nadim »

Hi guys,

I have a FrSky Taranis plus, non-EU firmware, which hosts OpenTX 2.1.9.

I tried and look to see if this was a common problem, but I couldn't find any reference. The problem is that the Tx suddenly mutes itself, and no beep nor voice alarms can be heard anymore (including, scaringly, the flight timer countdown).

This seems to have started happening after the upgrade to 2.1.9 from 2.1.8 I believe.

It happens fairly randomly, but it seems to happen more if the radio has been switched on for longer - as if something "loaded up" with operating time. Doesn't happen very often, but, say, at least once every 3 days at the field, and goes away with a simple reboot.

Is this a known issue related to OpenTX?

Thank you.

Kilrah

Re: FrSky Taranis plus sometime becoming suddenly mute

Post by Kilrah »

Usually an SD card problem.
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

Thanks. I'll try replacing it.

By the way it's not just the files in the "voice" folder of the SD, but also any beeps that, for example, sticks and pots make when centered.

BTW it seems to me those SD card really wear out fast... I've read countless posts about them being bad. This is the second one I'm using, the very first one being defective from start...

Does the Taranis constantly write and delete data onto it?
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

" Does the Taranis constantly write and delete data onto it? "
No, If you are using LOGS it can be writing data.
But sounds are only read.

I had an early X9D that had a loose connector to the PCB that caused me problems. Dealer re-soldered it and it was fixed. (Luckily, I live about 40 miles from AloftHobbies.)

Dirty contacts on the SD can cause problems.
Cleaning the SD contacts, then do a full format of the SD then put the data back on it can sometimes cures intermittent failures.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

Thanks. I did as you said, even though the SD card looked pretty pristine to me.

I'll see in the next days and report back. :)

deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

My problem was the SD card. I tested it extensively and it would read/write on my PC but I noticed an error-count which showed it had to reread the odd sector. My assumption is that OpenTX does not have the reread command and so, declares the failure and then no longer accesses the card. It shuts down the entire sound generation system. (Don't know if that is right or not.)

Replaced the SD with a name brand card and the problem went away. Never returned.
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

So you had the same problem too. Thanks for sharing your experience.

In the meantime I physically cleaned the SD card and formatted it. I have only flown a couple of times since, just a couple of flights each, but so far it seems to be working properly. But I think I'm getting a spare SD card soon nevertheless...
deaconFlyer wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:35 pm It shuts down the entire sound generation system. (Don't know if that is right or not.)
This would explain why even 'default' sounds (like the "beep" when you center sticks and pots), not just ones coming from the SD card files, are shut down as well.

Return to “Software”