trim change with flight mode change?

Bruce

trim change with flight mode change?

Post by Bruce »

Hi
I have placed this question on another thread but thought I might get more success here

I am looking for help please with the set up of an electric powered glider
I have set it up as I wish it to be BUT when I change from "normal" flight mode into "landing " flight mode I get a large change in the position of the ELE servo and small changes to both flap servos.I wish to retain the settings from "normal" setting,the channels that move are 2,6,7
LS controls throttle and should be in the closed position switch SB controls the thermal ,normal and speed seetings and should be in the mid position.The flight mode is allocated to the SG switch back (or up) for normal and forward (or down) for landing.As you will see throttle and flap ( in the landing setting) have some down ele compensation attached
Any help and advice will be appreciated
sprite eep25.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Many Thanks Bruce

boomerwing

Re: trim change with flight mode change?

Post by boomerwing »

I found one problem in your setup with the use of Switch Gdown. You use Gdown to select Flight Mode landing. As well you use Gdown for Special Function 5 and 6 for adjusting GV1 and GV2. I would think you should have used a different switch to activate GV1 and GV2.
It was not really clear in your description what you are really trying to do with your flight mode change. I would suggest that you first get the various control surfaces doing what you want in Companion with the servo movements at 100%, then as a final tweek, set the servo movement percentages. Having each servo moving a different amount in the eepe made it more difficult to see what you were trying to do.
Every project is just practice for the next one.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi boomerwing
Thank you for taking the time to look at my eepo and I welcome you advice
As you can see from the date of posting this has I have been waiting for a reply for some time ,because of this I have done a total rebuild of the eepo for this model
What i was attempting to do was get 3 different positions for flaps on a esoaring glider.One for minimum sink,one for best glide angle and one for speed all on the same switch
I have managed to get close to my aim using "replace" in the switch bit of programme
I am about to attempt to link the flaps to the ailerons in the minimum sing mode ,iI am sure that will keep me occupied for some time before manage I to do this to my satisfaction
Any advice you can give with reference to this would help
Many thanks for your input
boomerwing

Post by boomerwing »

Hi, Bruce. Yes, I had noticed the time lag in your post and wondered if you had abandoned it and gone on to another idea. I think your use of "Replace" is the right solution for the flap mix and with that you do not have to use a different flight mode. I would suggest SE or SG for the switch so you do not have to take your hands away from th sticks.
For your minimum sink mode, will you be trying to give the ailerons a little bit of down to slightly increase the lift at the wingtips? Off the top of my head, it sounds like adding a little MAX weight to the ailerons in the right direction when the switch is set in the right direction would work. Again, you would not need a change of Flight Mode. Have a look at the attached eepe. I have made Switch B the active switch for the example. BUp puts the flaps slightly up, BCentre puts them at 0 degrees, and BDown puts them at -30. As well BDown slightly changes the aileron neutral position while retaining the ability to use the ailerons. (Of course, the directions of all these settings will need to be consistent with your aircraft). It seems to make sense in Companion.
Isn't OpenTx fun? Pretty simple to get going, and yet very versatile. My Futaba 7C is getting relegated to my simple models just because I do not have enough FrSky RXs yet.
Regards, Calvin
sprite Boomer.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi Boomerwing
As you say it all makes sense in companion
I have linked the flaps to the ailerons now so they have become flaperons in the minimum sink (thermal) mode and need to fly the model to see what improvement that gives before making any more changes
I think the next change will be to include camber changes in all flight modes to include the ailerons
I to have been a Futaba user for many years,never had a problem with any TX in 30 plus years got converted to Frsky when I started to use Frsky R/X because of the price of Futaba and was VERY impressed with the quality and range for the price
I decided to go to a Teranis because of the ability to have sound I fly mainly in Esoaring comps,very similar to ALES, and there is a need for a 30second motor run countdown and a 10 min flight countdown.I am hearing impared and that makes it difficult to hear callers in any sort of wind so I have recorded my own countdown and linked that to the throttle switch on the Teranis and it works fine for me.I also find it very helpful to have the TX announce what flight mode I am in I use Landing (for speed ),cruise and thermal, helpful for me and very confusing for other competitors
What other Transmitter can do all of this at anything like the price of a Teranis

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What other Transmitter can do all of this at anything like the price of a Teranis
The Turnigy 9XR-Pro, and it is cheaper :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
boomerwing

Post by boomerwing »

Looks like you are on your way, Bruce. I fly the gliders too, but not in competition yet, and only Rudder-Elevator. My trajectory to Taranis copies yours. I bought the FrSky FAAST Receivers too, and was very pleased, then a friend with the Turnigy 9XR introduced me to OpenTX. The Taranis specifications impressed me because it was using a much faster processor than the 9XR. With all the processing which had to get done within 2 ms for each command, I thought the Taranis looked good. (My friend is quite happy with his 9XR as well, so no arguments with you, jhsa either).
Well, off to the flying field this morning with as many planes as my pickup will hold.
TigerOC

Post by TigerOC »

Bruce wrote:Hi Boomerwing
I think the next change will be to include camber changes in all flight modes to include the ailerons
Bruce, I am also a new Taranis user and developed my first eepe for slope soarer last year. I have camber/reflex on S1 and it really great. Particularly useful for launch by adding a small amount of camber, launches are quick and clean. Once out small amounts of reflex make all the difference. Once you have it available you wonder how you ever managed without it.

Rob
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,
at selecting a flight mode you must decide were the trims will comming from
-the activated flight mode with its own trim set
-from an other flight mode
-from an other flight mode + trim as offset
- no extra trim

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”