Bad eeprom message during burning to TX

tintin

Bad eeprom message during burning to TX

Post by tintin »

Hello all,
I,ve got a snag with my setup.
I had been using an older version of companion and was successfully burning to and from the radio.(until today)

I wanted to use a F3F glider eeprom (because programming from sctratch was very difficult) so went on line and downloaded the latest version of companion (latest one on the site). To test it worked, I burned the latest radio settings from my Taranis to file using the new companion.

I then went on line an obtained a F3f glider eeprom and saved it in the same area of my lap top, I transferred the f3f eeprom files to my existing eeprom/files and then tried to burn the whole lot to my radio.
I get a message on the transmitter saying bad eeprom and have lost all of my models on the radio.

I still have all of the models on my computer and can "view them through both the old and new companion on the computer, but cant burn any of it back to the radio. My radio is now blank.
I have removed the F3f files (just in case they were corrupted) but now none of it works.

To recap ive got all of the models on the computer and can view them through both old and new Companion but cant burn to of from the TX any more.

Ive obviously tried lots of variations, but cant get it to work,

My radio is at version V1.1.02. I really don't want to try the load new firmware options on the Companion just in case it totally scrubs my radio, as at least the radio still works and I can reprogram it manually if I have to.

What's happening, what the first things to try?

Tintin

tintin

Re: Bad eeprom message during burning to TX

Post by tintin »

Sorry,
I get a error message on the old companion now, "invalid eeprom"

Tintin
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can not use companion 2.0 if you have not upgraded the firmware, old firmware won't understand the new format. You need to use the old one, and stick to files it can open i.e. for old version. Some of the guys who publish setups post versions for both old and new.

So you need to reopen your backup with companion 1.52 and transfer that to the radio again.
tintin

Post by tintin »

Ok

On the old companion it now says that the files ( old ones that did work) are " invalid EEPROM and says "basiv""

Of course, I delegated the new companion and now can't even access/ read my old models and have to start from scratch. This is not good, it had taken me she's to manually programme the radio.

Shouldn't there be a warnings on this before people load this up?

Can I fix it? I have the old files on the computer but old companion can't open them.

Tintin
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You likely opened the old files with the new companion which is perfectly OK, BUT you then saved them again and overwrote them with the new format. That's basic computer usage... you don't save over a file that you don't want touched.

So now either you start from scratch, or you upgrade radio firmware and load the file you now have. Note that use of companion is not officially supported in the first place with the FrSky stock firmware (first sentence on the Downloads page of open-tx.org).

tintin

Post by tintin »

I'm not going to update the firmware as the last time I tried the bootloader messed up my computer and I had to get it repaired. Have you guessed I'm not into computing!
Do I still have to use bootloader?

I'll start over.

Will I be able to reload the new companion again and the F3F EEPROM, then cut individual segments?
Ie if I have the old and new companions side by side can I cut lines of text? I won't burn to or from my radio to the new companion

Regards
Tintin
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can open the new companion and look at a file, but not copy things between both.

But as said there should be files for the old version around.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”