eepSKYe

eepSKYe is the desktop too for flashing and managing your sky9x firmware.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: eepSKYe

Post by MikeB »

OK, I'll get this version released.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

GTiDon

Post by GTiDon »

Hi

Is there a step by step guide on how to get eepskye to communicate with my TX?
Er9X Flashed
Speaker Mod Done
Haptic Feedback Mod Done
Telemetry Mod Done with FRSky TTL Lite
Voice Mod Done with Emartee Board
HK Backlight Done
FRSky Telemetry DIY Module Installed
----All these mods removed and installed Sky 3.0 board with DJT Module.
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Using Windows XP I have been unsuccessful running eepskye, both r381 which Kaos kindly sent me, and r384 which is the latest one downloaded from here:http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=150.
I get the following error message from r384:
================================================================================================================
Started SAM-BA
C:/Program Files/Atmel/sam-ba_2.12/sam-ba.exe \usbserial\COM5 at91sam3s4-9x C:/DOCUME~1/STEVE~1.MUT/LOCALS~1/Temp/temp.tcl
================================================================================================================
-I-Waiting
-I-TCL platform : Windows NT
-I-SAM-BA 2.12 on Windows
current connection is \usbserial\COM5, to be matched
-I- Retrieved arguments from command line :
-I- argv 0 : \usbserial\COM5
-I- argv 1 : at91sam3s4-9x
-I- argv 2 :C:DOCUME~1/STEVE~1.MUT/LOCALS~1/Temp/temp.tcl
-E- Connection \usbserial\COM5 not found
-E- Connection list : {\USBserial\COM5}

===============================================================================================================
SAM-BA done with errors
===============================================================================================================

I have, however, successfully downloaded the firmware from the radio's RevB board using SAM-BA v2.12 with the same port ( \usbserial\COM5) specified and the same mcu (at91sam3s4-9x) specified.
I can not understand how eepskye cannot find COM5 using SAM-BA whereas when I use SAM-BA it works with exactly the same parameters.

Can you help me please?

Steve

PS I have just re-installed eepe and eepskye in a new folder but I get the same error message.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll try this later on my laptop with XP. In both cases it is just SAM-BA running so I can't think why it should work in one case and not the other.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Regarding my request above:
I tried eepskye with SAM-BA 2.11 also. I get the same error message saying it can not find COM5 yet when I use SAM-BA 2.11 it connects and I can download the firmware and eeprom from the Tx.

New questions related to the above using SAM-BA instead of eepskye:
All this relates to my ErSky9x Version B1 board. I have not tried to update on my Version 3 board after a brown-out episode in my other transmitter yet as there is no incentive: It's working with a recent revision and if it's not broken...... I would like 16 channel capability on my VerB1 board either with one XJT module or two DHT modules - probably the latter so I can use all my D series Rx's and existing telemetry gear.

The board is 'virginal' in that it has r122 firmware and co-processor 101 installed. I would like to install r178 which Kaos has kindly supplied and I propose to use SAM-BA to install it. I have backed up the firmware and the eeprom using SAM-BA 2.11 today.I understand that flashing the new firmware erases the eeprom. Before I start I need some guidance.

The correct order of updating appears to be, flash r178, update the co-processor, then write the back-up eeprom.

To write back the eeprom I expect that I should:
Put the eeprom back-up file in the same folder as SAM-BA
Plug in USB and start SAM-BA
Select SerialFlash AT25 tab
Press the 'Execute' tab to 'Enable serial Flash (SPI CSO)
Check the start address is 0X0
Enter the Send File Name
Click the Send File button.

Is that correct?

I understand the eeprom file structure is now different. Will the back-up eeprom file load? If so what can I expect to have to do to restore the 12 models back to working condition? Is there same way of modifying the back - up eeprom file before rewriting it to the Tx?

Steve

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The EEPROM is a separate chip, flashing the processor does NOT erase the EEPROM on a SKY board.
When I changed the EEPROM structure, I included code in ersky9x to automatically convert 'old' models to the new structure when they are loaded.

Your EEPROM writing procedure is generally correct. You don't need to put the EEPROM file anywhere specific, just specify the file to send in the appropriate box.

I just noticed on the SAM-BA output you have the usb in lowercase, while the connection list shows the USB in uppercase. My entry in the burn|configure dialog is \USBserial\COM8, with the USB in UPPERCASE.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Mike.
The latest eepSKYe loaded and ran successfully today using version 2.11 of SAM-BA and latest tc.lib files on my ErSky 9x Version B1 board under Windows XP. The upper case use for the port name fixed the problem allowing SAM-BA to do it's job.
I loaded the eeprom from my transmitter and perused one of my models, tried some menus to see what happens and now have an appreciation of what's been changed. There were no unexpected operational glitches and the user interface like Eepe was clear, responsive and friendly.
You have done a great job.
Thanks for your help
Steve
skylark

Post by skylark »

Hi Mike,
I found a glitch in eepSkye. It seem to work ok at first. But two days ago I configured a new model. I opened simulator check the new config, exit sim to make changes. When I re-entered sim the whole lot froze. The only way out was to shut the lot down and start again. I tried editing an existing model, same result.
So far, this occurs at every attempt to edit models in eepSkye. However I tried the result was the same. Today I tried the same config and edit procedures in C9x for comparison and to see whether my radio was at fault. No problem everything went as sweet as a nut. I also edited existing models, still no probs using C9x. BTW, this is the latest version r391. Just before I posted I again made another attempt in eepSkye just in case the glitch was a problem with my radio. The same result, total shutdown. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this ?. At a quick glance, I could not see any mention of this occurance anywhere within the thread. No worries, just reporting. Using C9x in the meantime. Stan.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, is a fool: SHUN HIM.

He who knows and knows he knows, is a wise man : SEEK HIM

But he who knows not and knows he knows not, is a baby: TEACH HIM.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will try a bit later as well. By the way, as far as I know you don't have to close the sim anymore when editing a model. Just edit it and the sim will update the changes. This is on eepe and eepskye.
Companion doesn't support it. Yet.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Skylark: Can you still edit models OK, just freezing in the sim? Does it freeze if you run eepskye, just create a new, blank eeprom, create a new (blank) model then simulate it?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

I am so delighted with eepSKYe that I should put on record my amazement and gratitude to Mike B and anyone else involved in the development of eepSKYe.
Having flashed r178 of ErSky9x into my Ver 3 board Transmitter (Tx2), the three models therein disappeared together with the Tx settings. Yes; I di not make a back -up of the eeprom:( . I entered one of the models back into memory manually remembering fairly accurately what was on each page and the model works like before After a few trimming flights it will be OK.

The other two models are far more complicated and I was truly daunted by the task of remembering how they worked let alone the subtle nuances of curves and sequential throttle switch count-up. Then I remembered that I had the other two models in my VerB1 Board transmitter (Tx1). So I backed up the firmware and the eeprom in Tx1 using SAM-BA as insurance. I opened EepSKYe r384. I downloaded the eeprom and saved it. With the file still opened inside Eepskye I disconnected Tx1 and connected Tx2. I asked Eepsky to download the eeprom. It asked me if I wanted to overwrite Model 07 which was the first available blank space in the list of 12 models: there was a gap where a model which is now in heaven had been. I answered 'yes': Lo and behold!
The manually re-inserted model from TX2 magically appeared in the list of models from Tx1 !!!!!! :) I saved that file and in pure extacy uploaded all the models including the previously held two models into TX2 just in case I may ever need them there! I disconnected TX2 and closed EepSKYe. I checked and all models successfully loaded.

What a clever GUI !! Astounding! After dealing with SAM-BA where you have to do one operation with one connection at a time I am very very impressed.

For a change then among all the posts complaining about glitches and anomalies I offer this one in applause.
Well done!
Steve
skylark

Post by skylark »

MikeB wrote:Skylark: Can you still edit models OK, just freezing in the sim? Does it freeze if you run eepskye, just create a new, blank eeprom, create a new (blank) model then simulate it?

Mike.
Mike,
I tried just now as you suggested. Opened eepSkye created blank model, simulate, then just exit the sim for a moment. Returned to sim, Result: all frozen.
Stan.

skylark

Post by skylark »

jhsa wrote:I will try a bit later as well. By the way, as far as I know you don't have to close the sim anymore when editing a model. Just edit it and the sim will update the changes. This is on eepe and eepskye.
Companion doesn't support it. Yet.

Hi jhsa, When I edit a model I have to move the sim screen out of the way to do so. The changes does not seem to come into effect until the sim is refreshed, which means, close and re-open. Once closed, on re-opening eepSkye feezes. Maybe I am doing it all wrong (in which case I stand corrected). If so point me in the right direction please.
Stan.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Just tried eepskye. managed to make it crash once but I had about 3 sims open and a few windows for the same model.. that means that in eepskye more than 1 instance of the sim are allowed and also the sim is not updating without restarting it. Couldn't make it crash by closing the sim and opening it again.

tried eepe and it is working as it should. not possible to open 2 instances of the sim, and it updates when I make changes..
I hope it helps..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just for completeness, what operating system are you using (Skylark)?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
skylark

Post by skylark »

MikeB wrote:Just for completeness, what operating system are you using (Skylark)?

Mike.
Mike,
I am using win 8 64 bit. I have always used this OS with eepSkye and never had this problem till now. I reckon this occurance started with one of the latest (recent), versions of eepeSkye. Which one I don't really know, unless I go back to an earlier version and chech forward, flashing each in turn. What do you suggest ?.
Stan.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think I've found the problem. Its been in eepe and eepskye for years. When the simulator is created, it starts doing mixer calculators, but the copies of the general settings and model settings have NOT yet been loaded, so it uses random values. These could cause memory corruption and hence the freeze.
I'll try to get a fix done, not sure when I'll complete it though.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
skylark

Post by skylark »

Mike thanks.
I thought for a while (when it just occured), that I was going loopy. It is very strange how no one else has picked up on this, (not happened to them). That's why I checked and double checked over the days before reporting. Great job Mike. I am glad it can be sorted.Stan.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Saving forum disk space(!) I've put a test version on the first post of this thread. This should fix the simulator problem, although I haven't checked everywhere from which the simulator is started.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
skylark

Post by skylark »

Mike
Thats wicked. We're cooking with gas: 'British Gas', (Pun). AOK, "shipshape & Bristol ...."
Well done Mike that's cracked it.
Stan.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just committed revision 392 of eepskye (and eepe).
eepskye includes everything from the test version I posted

Changelog:

eepskye support for bootloader
sim support for changed expo/dr method
support for fast delay/slow timing
support for "sticky throttle" safety switch
add eepskye build for linux
add support for stick reverse
patches for MAC build
fix eepskye expo/dr editing bug
automatically detect model version default
eepskye support model specific default switch settings

I've managed to do a build for linux (32-bit) so this is included in the release.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thank you very much Mike..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
skylark

Post by skylark »

Mike, I am now up and running again with R198. Note eepskye will not write to or read from TX, so I am using C9x. Attached is a burn readout after a read failure. I have not tried a write as I now have R198 flashed. Sometime tomorrow I will attempt a read/ write on my other 9X with eepskye. I will also post that result. BTW I am running windows 8.
Stan.
Attachments
Started SAM.zip
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

1) With SAM-BA, try using the text COM4 not Com4 in the connection!

2) The preferred method now is to boot the radio in BOOTLOADER mode (hold both horizontal trims to the middle while switching on).
You should get two disk drives on the PC. Then use eepskye with "Use SAM_BA" not ticked.

Mike.

Edit: I just tried with lower case "com" text and it fails, changed to upper case and it then works.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You find the option on the "burn" menu

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
skylark

Post by skylark »

Mike, Cracked it. It was working all the time. Problem was it was and still is taking a very long time to mount the SD card, 35 seconds. mind you I am using a very large capacity Card 64GB class10. Once the card is mounted though it is blindingly fast in execution, I only discovered this by accident. I'd put the TX down in disgust still switched on and connected to PC. Made coffee, came back and there on my screen were my virtual drives. I repeated the procedure while timing it and bingo AOK. Thanks for the kick in the right direction.
Stan.

skylark

Post by skylark »

jhsa, Thanks buddy. Every little help. All suggestions and words of advice, much appreciated, always. See post to mike. This is teamwork at it's best. Thanks again.
Stan

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

skylark wrote:This is teamwork at it's best.
No doubts about it..
These are the openRCforums and that is what we try to do here. Great community with great people ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
skylark

Post by skylark »

jhsa wrote:
skylark wrote:This is teamwork at it's best.
No doubts about it..
These are the openRCforums and that is what we try to do here. Great community with great people ;) :)

João
Hi jhsa, Sentiments shared and so it should, by all. Btw All is well on the western front. I have been doing multiple reads and writes with eepskye without sam-ba. Very cool. Who said the 9X is dead,(Thanks to Mike et al). The only drawback for me is the long wait for SG mounting which I think is due to my card capacity, otherwise brilliant.
Stan.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The USB connection is a FULL SPEED connection (12Mbits/sec). Most USB drives are HIGH SPEED (480Mbits/sec) so 40 times faster. We can't do anything about the speed so, like you say, a 64Gbyte card will take a long time to mount.
My 4GB card takes about 4 seconds to mount.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “eepSKYe”