OpenXSensor project page on google code

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

RightRudder

Re: OpenXSensor project page on google code

Post by RightRudder »

How does one configure for jeti? I don't know anything about jeti but I am curious how to make an oXs for jeti radios. I don't see anything in the config.help about it either.

mstrens

Post by mstrens »

The current version on github does not yet contains the code for Jeti.
The Jeti version is just on my laptop waiting for bug fixes.
In this Jeti version, there will be a new value in the config.h file in order to let select JETI protocol instead of MULTPLEX, HOTT or FRSKY.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've received request(s) to support JETI telemetry protocol on ersky9x. Do you have details of whatthe protocol looks like?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I think there are several versions.
Here the document I used for the duplex protocol between Rx and sensor.

There is also some code available here:
https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:wi ... =jeti%20ex

and here:
https://github.com/DevFor8/Mav2Duplex
Attachments
JETI_Telem_protocol_EN_korektura (1).pdf
(1 MiB) Downloaded 445 times
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

I gather from what I have read that different people have different ideas about what they want to do with Jeti compatibility. Some folks want to use oXs as a sort of hub for jeti sensors so they can use jeti sensors with taranis. Others want to use oXs as a sensor that can send telemetry to a jeti receiver.

Mike it is good to know someone still cares about Sky9x! It almost seems like openTX is openTaranis these days. I have a 9x with a sky board but I admit it mostly sits as a backup for taranis these days. I have special feelings for it though.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

RightRudder wrote: I have a 9x with a sky board but I admit it mostly sits as a backup for taranis these days. I have special feelings for it though.
You don't know what you are missing then :) With some new functionality Ersky9x has for all the platforms :)
No way I would swap any of my radios for a Taranis, as I already have the best parts of the taranis in them, that is, gimbals and sliders. All the rest (Perhaps except the LCD) is far superior in my opinion..
You can install new hardware quite easily for example.. It's a dream :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

I'm sure you are right, I don't know what I am missing. I find it challenging to simply keep abreast of all the changes that happen just with Taranis and oXs. I put the 9x aside 'temporarily' when I got a taranis and haven't gotten back to it yet! I did upgrade the LCD display when I bought the sky board. I'll have to get back to that one day soon. It is such a cool radio now with so much more than the original 9x.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I tend to actually fly using ersky9x on a Taranis, mainly so I have a specific Tx with all my models in ready to use.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Well we are off topic and I will bring it back at the end of this post , but I didn't even know you could do that. I thought ersky9x was just a version of opentx for the hardware on a sky board. You can load it onto a taranis?

Back on the Jeti subject, I have been making my own hardware for oXs, I started doing that with something tailored toward DLG and now that I've gotten bit by the heli bug I use an oXs to trigger rescue mode in the flybarless controller which flips the heli level and climbs automatically when an low altitude threshold is crossed. The heli guys are calling this a 'hard deck' although it is really a 'soft deck' The latest version of this sensor incorporates a 40A hall current chip and has provision to monitor a 4s pack and head speed. I found it wasn't very economical to make and try to sell the boards tailored for DLG. It will likely be worse with this heli oriented board but if it could be made to work with Jeti then that brings in a larger possible market and I could see if there is any interest in making it available to others.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

You can expect in some weeks (or days) that oXs will support Jeti (as wel as Multiplex, Hott and Frsky).
I do not think it should be possible to support Futaba with an Arduino Pro Mini.
I think it would require another MCU like a STM32 but then a large part of the code should be rewritten.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
RightRudder wrote:I thought ersky9x was just a version of opentx for the hardware on a sky board.
No, it is actually the other way round ;) OpenTX was forked from Er9x/ErSky9x :)
You can load it onto a taranis?
Yes you can flash Ersky9x to a Taranis Radio.. Please check www.er9x.com

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
cfsix50

Post by cfsix50 »

Hi,

Thank you for all this excellent work.
I am interested in reading airplane attitude angles from the telemetry between my Taranis QX7 and S8R receiver.

Gyro angles are measured by a GY-521 (MPU6050). I add a NEO-6M GPS sensor.
And I upload openXsensor on an Arduino Pro Mini.
  • SPort - , GPS Groung, GY-521 Ground are connected to Arduino Ground,
  • SPort + is connected to Arduino Raw Pin, and SPort Signal to Arduino pin D4.
  • GPS Vcc is connected to Arduino 3.3V, Rx to Arduino D6 by a 10kOhm resistor, Tx to Arduino Rx by a dip switch
  • GY-521 Vcc is connected to Arduino 3.3V, SDA to Arduino A4, SCL to Arduino A5, INT to Arduino D2
If I use the GPS alone my transmitter detects the GPS and shows the correct data.

Code: Select all

#define A_GPS_IS_CONNECTED      YES                // select between YES , NO
#define A_MPU6050_IS_CONNECTED      NO              // select between YES , NO
But if I select YES to connect the MPU6050 with "#define PIN_INT_6050 2" in oXs_config_advanced.h, the transmitter cannot detect openXsensor (MPU6050 and GPS).
DEBUG get this :
openXsensor starting..
milli=0
freeRam=989
End of GPS setup
FRSky Output Module: TX Pin=4
Sport protocol= 1
Initializing MPU...
It seems that initialization is stuck somewhere with no result (failed or complete).

To check GY-521 and Pro Mini, I upload MPU6050_DMP6. Data from GY-521 is correct and InvenSense teapot demo works fine.

I read many posts on these threads but find nothing about this issue. Any idea ?
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

cfsix50 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 pmI read many posts on these threads but find nothing about this issue. Any idea ?
Here is an example with GY521. It is used as TX sensor, but it does not make a difference, which SPort it is connected to.

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=9412
cfsix50

Post by cfsix50 »

Thank you Carbo,
When i tried with a S6R neither my sensor nor the LUA-script worked. When i changed the sensor ID from 0x1B (28) to 0x67 (8) everything worked.
In oXs_config_advanced.h the sensor ID is correct.

Code: Select all

#define         DATA_ID_ACC    0x67  //          7 used for Acc X, Y, Z
The question is why initialization process stop somewhere ?

Carbo

Post by Carbo »

cfsix50 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:33 pm The question is why initialization process stop somewhere ?
Usually because i2c does not work. Did you swap SDA and SCL by mistake?
cfsix50

Post by cfsix50 »

Sorry, transfer this to new thread
michel49

Post by michel49 »

Hi,

Is there a way to build a simple 12S Sport voltage sensor ? that doesn't exist in FrSky range
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

michel49 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:03 am Hi,

Is there a way to build a simple 12S Sport voltage sensor ? that doesn't exist in FrSky range
Do you want to get the voltage of each individual cell or only the voltage of the 12S.
With oXs you can't get the voltage of each cell but it is easy to get the total voltage (just using a voltage divider with 2 resistors)
michel49

Post by michel49 »

Thanks mstrens, I just want to monitor the pack voltage; could you tell me which electronics to use ? I just know the vario board.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

You have been through this here?

oXs_config_description.h

A very comprehensive description about oXs.

For your task, chapter 6

**** 6 - Voltage measurements and current sensor settings (optional) ***************************************************

;) br - KH
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I have posted on an old thread but found this one and thought I'd try it. A would like to build an openXsensor Vario to work on my Multiplex TX's. Firstly, what version do I need if I am using a BMP280 sensor and how is it connected to the Arduino as there are more connections than the BMP180?

What versions o openXsensor and configurator should I be using, and does it work with MacOS? I have a little experience with Arduino so hoping I can get this to work.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

#1 you need this here https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software& And there are many tutorials on the net, how to install and use the IDE. Get accustomed to Arduino and do some small projects like a blinking LED etc.

When you are done with that and still feel happy

#2 download the code from here https://github.com/openXsensor/openXsensor (the green tab labeled CODE) and install this into your Arduino IDE. By now, you should know how to do that.

#3 start reading the documentation for oXs

https://github.com/openXsensor/openXsensor

https://github.com/openXsensor/openXsen ... cription.h

#4 now about your BMP280. I don't know, what you got there. Only a BMP280 chip, or a BMP280 on a shield. I only can guess.

I prefer BMP280 like those. https://circuit.rocks/barometric-pressu ... r-spi.html

5v regulator on board, 4 connections. That is all you need.

br KH
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Thank you so much for replying Kalle.
#1. Arduino installed and working
#2. Code downloaded and installed in Arduino
#3. I have started reading through the documentation and beginning to understand what I need to do. ( I may have questions though, when I build the Altimeter/Vario! )
#4. I have ordered a BMP280 which looks very much like the one on the link you supplied. The one I purchased says 3.3v or 5V so should be fine.

I have Multiplex voltage sensors, do you know if I can connect the oXs Vario and the Multiplex voltage sensor at the same time?

I await the arrival of the BMP280 then I will build a prototype with an Arduino UNO to test things out before soldering up an Arduino Pro Mini.

Once again, thanks for your help.

S
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Sierra wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 am I have Multiplex voltage sensors, do you know if I can connect the oXs Vario and the Multiplex voltage sensor at the same time?
That are 2 oXs working together ...

Sierra wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 am I await the arrival of the BMP280 then I will build a prototype with an Arduino UNO to test things out before soldering up an Arduino Pro Mini.
Arduino UNO is a really good idea. But again 'Get accustomed to Arduino and do some small projects like a blinking LED etc.'

bt KH
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I have done a few Arduino projects in the past, although not as complicated as the Altimeter/Vario. I think I have a reasonable idea what I need to do, time will tell though. Components due to arrive next week.

Thanks

S
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Well my BMP280 sensor arrived, I soldered it up, connected everything up (for testing purposes I used an Arduino Uno R3), altered the basic and advanced config.h files. Uploaded without errors and ................. nothing! I've either missed something somewhere or knackered the sensor when soldering it but it looks fine!

Ant pointers would be much appreciated
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

1. Maybe a pic, what you are soldering together, would be helpful.

2. Check the Uno R3 + BMP 280 combination with a simple sketch

https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino ... nt=gws-wiz

3. Attach basic and advanced config.h here, so we can have a look.

br KH
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

The sensor appears to work OK using the SparkFun library and wiring is correct, photograph attached as well as the basic & advanced config files and the bmp280.h file

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS. the sketch for testing the sensor using the Adafruit library was quite different and I could not get that to work!
Attachments
oXs_config_basic.h
(11.6 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
oXs_config_advanced.h
(16.64 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
oXs_bmp280.h
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
oXs setup.jpg
(187.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Had a short look at 'oXs setup.jpg'

Where is the common ground cable between arduino and MPX RX? Only see a single signal cable to arduino pin 4.

By the way, for such simple things like a vario, it is easier to use the oXs configurator. :mrgreen:

Generates in your case
oXs_config_basic.h

#ifndef OXS_CONFIG_BASIC_h
#define OXS_CONFIG_BASIC_h
#define PROTOCOL MULTIPLEX
#define FIRST_BARO_SENSOR_USE BMP280
#define VSPEED_SOURCE FIRST_BARO
#define AIRSPEED_SENSOR_USE NO_AIRSPEED
#define ARDUINO_MEASURES_VOLTAGES NO
#define ARDUINO_MEASURES_A_CURRENT NO
#define AN_ADS1115_IS_CONNECTED NO
#define CALCULATE_RPM NO
#define SAVE_TO_EEPROM NO
#define A_GPS_IS_CONNECTED NO
#define A_MPU6050_IS_CONNECTED NO
#define CALCULATE_YAW_WITH_HMC5883 NO
#define A_FLOW_SENSOR_IS_CONNECTED NO
#define A_LOCATOR_IS_CONNECTED NO
#endif

and
oXs_config_advanced.h

#ifndef OXS_CONFIG_ADVANCED_h
#define OXS_CONFIG_ADVANCED_h
#define PIN_SERIALTX 4
#define SECOND_BARO_SENSOR_USE NO_BARO
#define SENSITIVITY_MIN 80
#define SENSITIVITY_MAX 300
#define SENSITIVITY_MIN_AT 100
#define SENSITIVITY_MAX_AT 1000
#define VARIOHYSTERESIS 5
#endif

br KH
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Forgot about the common ground, in my prototype, I used the 5V from the USB to power the Arduino and a receiver battery in the receiver. with the actual build, the receiver battery (6V) will power the Arduino. I didn't think the configurator worked with the newer versions of oXs, also I assume it is PC only, I am on an iMac!

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”