Introduction to the openx vario/altimeter

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

davx

Re: Introduction to the openx vario/altimeter

Post by davx »

mstrens wrote: I do not know if we can thrust FTDI for this. FTDI can introduce some fuffering too.
I think we need a digital analyser to check the delay between each frame.
Yes, a logic analyzer will do the job but, according to the datasheet, the FTDI chip is supporting up to 3Mbaud so I don't think it misses anything at 9600.

mstrens

Post by mstrens »

davx wrote:
mstrens wrote: I do not know if we can thrust FTDI for this. FTDI can introduce some fuffering too.
I think we need a digital analyser to check the delay between each frame.
Yes, a logic analyzer will do the job but, according to the datasheet, the FTDI chip is supporting up to 3Mbaud so I don't think it misses anything at 9600.
For sure it don't miss but probably it groups byte that have small delay in betwwen because it send by packet.
And so you get 3 frames at the same timestamp on the PC.
So it is not relevant for our case.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

In order to save time in test and discussion, I just put 2 new changes on google.
In the first, I avoid sending a frame after 100 ms (alterning 2 types of frame) and I send all data in one frame every 200 ms (about) if at least one data is available. If no data is available it will wait 200 ms before trying to generate a frame.
Note: I can even change the code in such a way that if no data is send because none are available, it will check about every 10 ms if at least one data becomes available and so, it would not wait up to 200 ms. This last improvement is not (yet) done.
In the second, I reduced the delay to calculate VOLT and CELLS from 500 to 200 ms.

I hope this solve the issue.
Please check it (with both Rx if possible)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

[quote="mstrens"
Probably there is no need to split it but it is just a logic that Rainer had initially implemented and it makes the task more complex. So I expect there was a for. Perhaps has Frsky changes his spec in the meantime.
The change I asked to jhas (changing the 1 in 0) was an easy way to check it)

[/quote]
Please, please, please.. I already said 3 times that I didn't change that in the code because it was already changed..
The only thing that worked was changing this:

if(millis() > ( lastVoltMillis + 500) ){ // calculate average only once every 500 msec

to this:

if(millis() > ( lastVoltMillis + 200) ){ // calculate average only once every 200 msec

It was the only thing that worked and I will stick to it, or probably to Mike's files as they are working..
I don't know what to do anymore to convince you that it isn't working as it should.. Opentx is masking the problem so you are not able to see it..
I quit :( but I will leave here the 3 videos I made a little while ago.

The first one is from Mike's files sending only voltage..
Mike's code sending only voltage - YouTube [360p].mp4
(302.07 KiB) Downloaded 1876 times
The next is from your code sending only voltage. You can see the difference.. That will trigger false alarms for sure.
This one is from your code sending voltage, current, and capacity as FUEL
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The FrSky hub sends data every 200mS whether they have been updated or not. I don't see why the oXs can't do the same. Why complicate things checking to see if a value has been updated? Just send the data.
I listed the items, in this post: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=2629&start=690#p83018, the hub sends every 200mS. It sends a total of 49 bytes (before byte stuffing). It only sends the data for one cell in each packet.

Surely the oXs can send the same sort of data length every 200mS.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

davx

Post by davx »

Are you sure it sends only one cell at a time Mike ? It's not so clear in the doc...
I can't test as I don't have a FLVS sensor.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The FrSky document only shows a single entry for a cell in the 200mS packet.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
davx

Post by davx »

Yes, I read that, but FrSky don't shine by their doc quality... And as it can have up to 12 cells to transmit, it means also up to 2.4s between new voltage values. Perhaps a little too long, but OXS only supports 6, so 1.2s seems acceptable ;)
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

davx wrote:Yes, I read that, but FrSky don't shine by their doc quality... And as it can have up to 12 cells to transmit, it means also up to 2.4s between new voltage values. Perhaps a little too long, but OXS only supports 6, so 1.2s seems acceptable ;)
FYI, currently OXS send the n (n being the parameter defined in config) cells values in the same frame. Each value contains the cell ID.
Please note that the first cell get an id = 0 ; this is perhaps wrong and I should start from 1.
A test should show what is the right value.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I just put on google a new version of oxs_out_frsky.cpp.
In this version, for the hub protocol only, OXS fills always all measurements (defined in config.h) in only one frame.
It does not test if a measurement has been recalculated since the previous or not.
With this version,
- the plus: the frame is always generated every 200 ms (parameter in the .h file) and contains all expected data
- the min: there is no way for the Tx to detect that some data has not been recalculated (e.g. if OXS lost communication with an external sensor like MS5611)

This version does not 100% respect the Frsky spec because "fuel" is sent within the same frame as the other data but I do not expect it should be an issue(it was already the case before)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will test on other arduino. Now my plane is running the files Mike posted yesterday as they seemed to be working correctly. The plane has been disassembled on the table for too long. ;) and wife will kill me in a while because of that. So, calibrated the current and voltage, and all looks to be consistent with the wattmetter. As I said before, with the ACS758 sensors the datasheet seems to not be exact. So, the calculation said 81.5 and my trial and error found a value of 80 as at higher amps the radio showed more than the meter. It still does a bit but inside the resolution tolerance I would say. Anyway, this is the model I'm flying more and I can't afford to have it on the table in summer when the weather is good. I did my best to help with this issue but sometimes I felt that I was going around and around :(
As I said, I will test with another arduino from now on. Will try to learn how to get data out of my logic analyzer and post it. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

jhsa wrote:I will test on other arduino. Now my plane is running the files Mike posted yesterday as they seemed to be working correctly. The plane has been disassembled on the table for too long. ;) and wife will kill me in a while because of that. So, calibrated the current and voltage, and all looks to be consistent with the wattmetter. As I said before, with the ACS758 sensors the datasheet seems to not be exact. So, the calculation said 81.5 and my trial and error found a value of 80 as at higher amps the radio showed more than the meter. It still does a bit but inside the resolution tolerance I would say. Anyway, this is the model I'm flying more and I can't afford to have it on the table in summer when the weather is good. I did my best to help with this issue but sometimes I felt that I was going around and around :(
As I said, I will test with another arduino from now on. Will try to learn how to get data out of my logic analyzer and post it. :)

João
Ok thanks.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Some time ago I recorded the data that the FrSky Hub (probably with a GPS module attached), transmitted via a standalone 'modem', so, no FrSky receiver/transmitter in the way

If I call a frame a stream of data that starts and ends with a 5E then the hub does not always send full frames as described in the "Protocol V02 FrSky Hub.pdf"

I found the following mix of 'frames' transmitted in a great variety of sequences, as data of certain frames are sent at different repetition rates

Pure Hub data frames (1-7):
=============

1. acc-x, acc-y, acc-z, Alt.bef, Alt.aft, Temp1, Temp2

2. fuel

3. Course.bef, Course.aft, Lat.bef, Lat.aft, Lat.N/S, Lon.bef, Lon.aft, Lon.E/W, Spd.bef, Spd.aft, Fuel

4. DateMonth

5. Year, HourMinute, Second

6. Volt, Current, Volt.bef, Volt.aft, RPM

7. GPSAlt.bef, GPSAlt.aft, Fuel

Following frame 1 was either frame 2, or frame 3 or frame 6

following frame 3 was either frame 4 or frame 7

Reinhard
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

ReSt wrote:Some time ago I recorded the data that the FrSky Hub (probably with a GPS module attached), transmitted via a standalone 'modem', so, no FrSky receiver/transmitter in the way

If I call a frame a stream of data that starts and ends with a 5E then the hub does not always send full frames as described in the "Protocol V02 FrSky Hub.pdf"

I found the following mix of 'frames' transmitted in a great variety of sequences, as data of certain frames are sent at different repetition rates

Pure Hub data frames (1-7):
=============

1. acc-x, acc-y, acc-z, Alt.bef, Alt.aft, Temp1, Temp2

2. fuel

3. Course.bef, Course.aft, Lat.bef, Lat.aft, Lat.N/S, Lon.bef, Lon.aft, Lon.E/W, Spd.bef, Spd.aft, Fuel

4. DateMonth

5. Year, HourMinute, Second

6. Volt, Current, Volt.bef, Volt.aft, RPM

7. GPSAlt.bef, GPSAlt.aft, Fuel

Following frame 1 was either frame 2, or frame 3 or frame 6

following frame 3 was either frame 4 or frame 7

Reinhard
Thanks for the information.
Do you have any idea of the smaller delay (ms) between the first caracter of 2 successive frames.

It is quite srange that Fuel is present in 3 types of frame.
In frame 6, do you know what is Volt (because there is also a Volt before and a Volt after)?

Perhaps that the hub groups the data in packets based on the timestamp it got the data and splitting the data on 2 frames if there would be to many data in one frame.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

volt will be a single cell from the lipo sensor.
volt.before and volt.after are the whole pack voltage from a FasV.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
davx

Post by davx »

mstrens wrote:I just put on google a new version of oxs_out_frsky.cpp.
Just tested and it doesn't work, nothing is sent from OXS...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I reported the same yesterday but no one noticed. Use your old config file and I think it will work..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

jhsa wrote:I reported the same yesterday but no one noticed. Use your old config file and I think it will work..
Indeed.
Please take care that when I put a version on google I don't really take care of the set up in the config.h file because everybody has to put his own value.
Default in the config file, the hub protocol is not activated.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahhh, that was the problem then.. I did post that it wasn't working but no answer. Then I used mike's config file and it worked.. then my own old file and it also worked.
I know that I don't have much knowledge about all this programming stuff, but I think I'm not that bad at testing and therefore my posts shouldn't be ignored when I test something, even when they sound stupid. It's not the first time I catch stupid bugs ;)
This problem for example was there since probably the beginning of oXs.. And no one caught it. Thanks to Mike for making the new custom switches work as they should it was possible to catch this insect..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

mstrens wrote: Thanks for the information.
Do you have any idea of the smaller delay (ms) between the first caracter of 2 successive frames.
No idea about it, I was reading the serial data into a file.
And, I'm sorry that I can no longer recreate or investigate these data because my Hub died some time ago :cry:

It is quite srange that Fuel is present in 3 types of frame.
In frame 6, do you know what is Volt (because there is also a Volt before and a Volt after)?
Volt is ID 06 and Volt before/after is ID 3A/3B

Reinhard
davx

Post by davx »

jhsa wrote:I reported the same yesterday but no one noticed. Use your old config file and I think it will work..
I was talking about the modifications that mstrens did this morning and I was using a correct config file (attached) ;)
So, with my config, OXS r218 is not working at all...
Attachments
oxs_config.h
(44.04 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

davx wrote:
I was talking about the modifications that mstrens did this morning and I was using a correct config file (attached) ;)
So, with my config, OXS r218 is not working at all...
I will check the version on google.
In fact, currently I am working on 3 versions at the same time.
I test (but without receiver) in a specialversion that I made for the issues notified.
If OK and usefull I rewrite it in the version I uploadin google.
And finally I rewrite the changes in a new version that will support 2 MS5611 or 1 MS5611 +a differential pressure sensor in order to get airspeed and probably dTE vario.

So it can be that I forget something when I rewrite in the google version.

I let you know.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

@davx,

I made the following test:
I synchronise my pc with google in order to have the same versions of all files.
I updated the config.h based on your config.
Still :
- I did not activate the vario because I have no MS5611 connected to the Arduino
- I did not ask for sending Alt and Vspeed because I have no MS5611 connected to the Arduino
- I put some value in the Offset parameter (for the 3 voltages) because I have no voltage connected and so ADC will return 0.
Finally,I activated the #define
- DEBUG (in config.h)
- DEBUGHUBPROTOCOL (in oxs_out_frsky.cpp)

Furthermore I updated oxs_out_frsky.cpp in order to format the lipo cell voltage (according to our other post).

I loaded the code in the arduino and I looked at the PC terminal in arduino IDE.

I get something like this:
Send Data at = 402
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 2 A0 F 5E 5 A4 1F 5E 39 E0 2E 5E 6 7 D0 5E 6 18 2 5E 6 27 9E 5E
Send Data at = 603
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 2 A0 F 5E 5 A4 1F 5E 39 E0 2E 5E 6 7 D0 5E 6 18 2 5E 6 27 9E 5E
Send Data at = 804
Send Data at = 1005
Send Data at = 1206
Send Data at = 1407
Send Data at = 1608
Send Data at = 1809
Send Data at = 2010
Send Data at = 2211
Send Data at = 2412
Send Data at = 2613
Send Data at = 2814
Send Data at = 3015
Send Data at = 3216

As far I can see, it seems ok (all data are there every 200 msec, I find nearly the offset values I put in config, the small difference is the noise on analog pins want they are not connected).

So it seems ok but the test is not 100% meaningfull because I did not set up the vario.

Could you please make a similar test deactivating the vario.
If it works without the vario and not with the vario, I will have to look more trying to find back an arduino with a MS5611.

Please note that if you activate the option vario on an arduino having no working MS5611, OXS will currently just enter in an infinite loop. Solving this is onmy todo list.

NOTE: did you downloaded from google all updates I have made those last days.

Note: in in attachement the config I used for my test.
Attachments
mstrens_oxs_config.h
(45.09 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
davx

Post by davx »

@mstrens,
mstrens wrote: Could you please make a similar test deactivating the vario.
I will try with your config.
NOTE: did you downloaded from google all updates I have made those last days.
I have two OXS sources on my disk, one is my personal test version and the other is entirely downloaded from the repository every time you tell us you've made a change.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I notice a small drift in the 200mS time. Did you not use my idea of adding 200 to the "lastTime" value rather than loading it with millis(). This should remove the drift.
While, at 200mS, it should not cause a problem, it is this sort of drift that was actually responsible for the occasional problem before.
From memory, the test is >200. This could also explain why you get 201mS between outputs and another reason to use the +200 idea.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
davx

Post by davx »

@mstrens,

I've just tried with your config and the voltages are working, so the problem comes from the vario part of the code.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

MikeB wrote:I notice a small drift in the 200mS time. Did you not use my idea of adding 200 to the "lastTime" value rather than loading it with millis(). This should remove the drift.
While, at 200mS, it should not cause a problem, it is this sort of drift that was actually responsible for the occasional problem before.
From memory, the test is >200. This could also explain why you get 201mS between outputs and another reason to use the +200 idea.

Mike.
Sorry Mike, currently I had no time to look in detail at the mofications you proposed.
Still I think I saw a small mistake in your file oxs_current.cpp because there is still 200 in the "if" sentence.
I tried first to find the root of the issue and I still suspect that sending some frame at 100 ms (for some config) is the main reason.
A small drift can't be an issue.
Anyway, when the vario is activate, I think that the main loop is sometime entered with a delay of 2 or 3msec. There would then be a delay too in the generation of the frame.

Furthermore, in the SPORT protocol, the logic is more complex because the process is asynchrone. The master is the rx and OXS must be ready to provide one and only one measurement when it is polled. I build a logic in order to send a measurement like vspeed with a higher priority but still ensuring that when a measurement is available it will be sent within a reosonable time.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

davx wrote:@mstrens,

I've just tried with your config and the voltages are working, so the problem comes from the vario part of the code.
OkI will look further but I do not understand directly where I made the mistake.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

davx wrote:@mstrens,

@davx,
Could you check again your MS5611.
I remove my vario from my glider and I checked it (in debug mode so not with a D8R-II rx).
I used the same config as before but I activated the vario and I add Alt and Vspeed as fields to be transmitted.
On my side it works.
If it still does not work on your side perhaps that it would help if you send less data. Perhaps that the Rx can't follow.

Here a sample of the data being generated
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 54 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
Send Data at = 90093
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 53 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
Send Data at = 90293
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 54 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
Send Data at = 90493
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 54 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 EE 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A3 5E
Send Data at = 90693
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 56 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
Send Data at = 90893
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 55 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
Send Data at = 91093
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 55 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
Send Data at = 91293
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 54 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A4 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 EE 2E 5E 6 17 D2 5E 6 28 25 5E 6 37 A3 5E
Send Data at = 91493
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 56 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
Send Data at = 91693
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 58 0 5E 30 FA FF 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 EE 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A3 5E
Send Data at = 91893
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F4 FF 5E 21 57 0 5E 30 FA FF 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
Send Data at = 92093

Note: in this test,asMike suggested, I also change the test on > 200 to >= 200 and now the delay is 200 instead of 201.

There is only one strange point: the first timestamp being generated is around 24000 milli but after a reset it is generated much faster than 24 sec.
Here the top of the debug:
Vario Sensor:MS5611 I2C Addr=77
openXsensor starting..
freeRam=942
calibration data #1 = 53094
calibration data #2 = 53319
calibration data #3 = 32193
calibration data #4 = 27758
calibration data #5 = 32262
calibration data #6 = 27974
done.
FRSky Output Module: TX Pin=4
FRSky Output Module: Setup!
Number of fields to send = 7
0 , 1 , 1 , 1
0 , 2 , 1 , 1
2 , 5 , 1 , 1
5 , 6 , 1 , 1
39 , 7 , 1 , 1
0 , 13 , 1 , 1
0 , 14 , 1 , 1
End of general set up
Send Data at = 200
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 0 0 5E 21 0 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 0 0 5E 5 0 0 5E 39 0 0 5E 6 10 0 5E 6 20 29 5E 6 10 0 5E 6 20 0 5E
Send Data at = 24093
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 0 0 5E 21 0 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 B3 F 5E 5 CB 1F 5E 39 F8 2E 5E 6 17 D9 5E 6 28 25 5E 6 37 96 5E
Send Data at = 24293
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F5 FF 5E 21 9 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 B3 F 5E 5 CB 1F 5E 39 F8 2E 5E 6 17 D9 5E 6 28 25 5E 6 37 96 5E
Send Data at = 24493
FRSky output module: SendFrame1A:Data to send = 5E 10 F5 FF 5E 21 1C 0 5E 30 0 0 5E 2 A9 F 5E 5 A8 1F 5E 39 E9 2E 5E 6 17 D4 5E 6 27 25 5E 6 37 A0 5E
davx

Post by davx »

With vario defined, I've got nothing on the TX, no vario, no voltage.
What you see is the debug print, not the real output.

It's not a problem of too much data, we've got 240 bytes possible every 200ms and as I said, when I tried to log the output, nothing was sent, something blocks the output.

It worked better before you comment all the "available" tests, the frames was not constant but I could receive the data on the TX...

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”