Airspeed sensing with TEK probe and diff pressure sensor planned?

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

onki

Airspeed sensing with TEK probe and diff pressure sensor planned?

Post by onki »

Hi,

In addition to OXS I am using the LinkVario Pro. In my opinion the best digital vario on the market.
In my new glider I will test the airspeed sensing using the TEK-probe and a (I2C) diff pressure sensor who is connected to the TEK probe with a T-piece on one end and at the bottom of the fuselage (static pressure) at the other end.
The setup can be found here:
https://www.sm-modellbau.de/Digitaler-Speed-Sensor-II

Any plans to have this in OXS as well? I hate air speed sensors in addition to TEK probes as this too much stuff at a plane.

Best regards
Onki

Carbo

Re: Airspeed sensing with TEK probe and diff pressure sensor planned?

Post by Carbo »

From my point of view the openXsensor approach is much cleaner. No TEK-probe needed, airspeed is measured with a pitottube. TEK vario vspeed gets calculated, users can switch between compensated and standard vario and energy compensation is adjustable from TX.
onki

Post by onki »

Hi,

This might be right but for me a pitot tube is no option since it cannot be removed from the plane and is quite bulky with regard to transport of the model.
I am using the WSTech TEK tube (Braunschweiger Rohr). This can be easily removed for transport and used on other planes as well.
In my Ventus I use a TEK tube as well as a pitot tube. The (SM-Modellbau) pitot tube can be pushed inside the fuselage but it is very complicated to get this done. If someone could create a bajonet locked and spring loaded pitot tube this would probably change my mind a bit but I think the TEK probe is the better way for compensated varios.
This is why I like the solution with (removable) TEK tube and fixed static pressure sensor at the bottom of the fuselage.

Best regards
Onki
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

I am using the Hacker DUPLEX Pitot-Tube with only 3mm diameter. It is smaller than every TEK probe i have seen or built myself and is very easy to remove. Only 1cm guiding tube is needed on the mounting position.

At the time, i also suggested to mstrens to (mis-) use a TEK probe for airspeed measurement. Meanwhile, i am very glad that he has implemented the path of electronic compensation in openXsensor.
devil

Post by devil »

Here is an example of my own construction pitot tube (replica).
Diameter 3mm and the whole is sunk for transport in a narrow hull pocket
IMG_1821.jpg
IMG_1852.jpg
IMG_1855.jpg
IMG_18222.jpg

Erik

Post by Erik »

devil wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:12 am Here is an example of my own construction pitot tube (replica).
Diameter 3mm and the whole is sunk for transport in a narrow hull pocket
Can you please describe your fixing point? It is also extractable or it is strictly retractable?
Time back I've tried with success this type of retractable mount, of course, it suitable for nose mount.
devil

Post by devil »

Hello,
my mount is a simple CFK tube adapted in diameter to my pitot tube, so that it can push more tightly.
Since you have given yourself a lot of effort in the construction, I think it's more for scale sailors who have plenty of space.
It is much smaller and daintier than your very elaborate construction which looks very big in the photos.
My pitot tube is a replica of this one Pitot that only has 3mm outside diameter and is for my narrow hull.
The CFK tube is glued into the rudder.
Yes, you can pull it out the back and put it back in, but it's not that easy to install it in the top of the fin since access only
was done by a servo cover down.
Erik

Post by Erik »

devil wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:37 pm ..
Since you have given yourself a lot of effort in the construction, I think it's more for scale sailors who have plenty of space.
Yes, you can pull it out the back and put it back in, but it's not that easy to install it in the top of the fin since access only
was done by a servo cover down.
Just to be clear, I've participated in basic air data project but I was one of many.

Depicted mount, of course, is for nose mount :-). Beside that can be airborne, on standard airframes like that one. Thank you for sharing your mount. A really nice an easy to realize mount is exposed here. It is based on a rotation movement that locks a pin. I've done that with two pins; compact and effective.

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”