OpenXSensor GPS project 101

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

mstrens

Re: OpenXSensor GPS project 101

Post by mstrens » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Fine that you could upload.
Please note that when you will start oXs with a gps, oXs will not start immediately to send data over Sport.
oXs sent gps data only when the gps get some kind of fix (and so know his position with enough accuracy) . It can take some time (minutes) before gps get a fix.
Most gps module have 2 led too. One is permanently ON and says that gps is powered on. The second will blink when the gps get some fix.
Please note that there can be a delay (e.g. 30 sec) between the gps led blinking and oXs sending data.
Just be patient.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks a lot for the heads up. I guess I will be able to connect the GPS on Tuesday. USPS messed up with the delivery.
WIll be in touch.
Richard

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Well, good news. The GPS is working just fine. I tested in the bench (outside) as you suggested and everything happened as you said. Then, I put it in the car, and made a "crash simulation" by disconnecting the receiver battery at a point which I could identify in Google, like a street intersection, to verify the latency. The results were really good, considering that there must have an error in synchronizing the battery disconnection with the center of the intersection. The fat is that using the last logged speed and comparing the last logged location with the street intersection, the difference was 7m, which translated to time, at the given speed, gave me .6 sec. Which is just over 10 times better than the FrSKY unit. Also I confirmed heading. I am having some difficulties in finding a shrink tube big enough to wrap GPS and Arduino, but its on its way and I expect to make a test on a plane next week.
I am thinking in putting together a video including all the information that I was collecting from this and the other thread, so that if by any chance there some other newvy it will shortcut some questions.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Richard

mstrens

Post by mstrens » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 am

Happy to hear that you got it.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:39 pm

I did, thanks to your support.
I like this so much I will look into adding some other DYI sensor. Will keep you posted.
Richard

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Sorry, but I got in the cyberspace.
The GPS worked as expected. I already added a MS5611 to have a good reading for the altitude, although both GPS and MS5611 are pretty consistent.
Now, here is a challenge for the developers: (Actually, two challenges)
1) You most probably know that Hobby Eagle came time ago with the A3 SuperII stabilization device, which has a data port that send flight info to a PC (attitude, and accelerometers. It would be possible to hook it up to the Arduino and from there to the FrSky telemetry?
2) Is any way to work with Lat, Long from the GPS without using LUA scripts? Like to set alarms for flight space limits?
Richard

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”