Built a workbench

Projects that are not for RC, but are cool and worthy of development.
rperkins

Built a workbench

Post by rperkins »

Hey guys.

Got my workbench mostly finished. Now I can roll my sleeves up and get started. Built out of 1.25 inch pvc pipe and laminated countertop. I wanted it to be light so I could move it around easy. gonna put it in my spare bedroom except when my daughters are with me.

The bench
  1. Paint doesnt like to stick to pvc pipe. Used plastic primer that said to wipe plastic down with paint thinner. Wasnt good enough. Had read online about sanding pvc before painting. Wish I would have done that.
  2. The particle board in laminate countertops is tough. Someone told me that it has sand in it. I believe it. Setting the depth of the thin blade on the circular saw to the minimum necessary helped.
  3. Filing the end caps for the countertop is time consuming. I bought the cheapest countertop and the endcaps for it were oversized. I didnt want any underhang to get snagged later and pull it off. lots of filing.
  4. It's fairly sturdy but a couple cross braces would firm it up even more. I dont plan on doing any major hammering on this bench. The weight of the light was an issue. Inserted 1" pvc internally and had to cheat on the angles a little to get it fairly straight. It does look better now than in these photos. That pvc glue sets up quick. :)
  5. The cost was about the same for wiring up the electrical plugs from scratch or buying nice finished strips. Yes cheap power strips would have saved money but not been nearly so nice.
ImageImage

The Equipment
Choices based on cost, rs232/usb contol interface and linux compatibility . Learning how this stuff works and playing with it has kept my helicopter out of the air, let alone updating my 9x. Note I havent yet tested most of the software listed unless otherwise mentioned.
  1. Hakko soldering iron- very nice. heats up extremely fast. 20+ years ago I used a weller iron on a daily basis. since then it had been radio shack irons. What a nice upgrade.
  2. Mastech 9803R Multimeter - Only item I have a little bit of buyers remorse. The knob seems cheap like the contacts won't last. Not sure how much I'll use it since the rigol scope can take measurements. The unit I got says 'sinometer' on it and not Mastech. Don't think it matters. Lunix tools are available. mmeter and QTDMM
  3. CSIPPS55T power supply - rebadged/modified firmware? version of ATTEN PPS3205T-3S. Very heavy and solid feel. I like it. Couldn't see any ripple with scope. Fan kicks up when pulling more amps. Have not found linux software. Available windows software uses .NET.
  4. Rigol DS1102E oscilloscope Very cool. Never had access to a storage scope before. Taking me a little while to learn how to get around on it. Yes at one time you could buy the 50 mhz version and do a firmware hack to upgrade to 100mhz. Since then Rigol has narrowed the gap on price . I sprung for the 100mhz. Start of linux control software.
  5. Open Workbench Logic Sniffer - What I really wanted was the 'D' series Rigol scope, which is a mixed signal scope . However I got the Rigol 'E' series scope and Open Logic sniffer for 1/2 the cost. I'm intrigued by FPGA's . The sniffer has worked in my testing. I havent found an easy way to found out what versions of firmware are on my device. looks like I need to open a terminal to it via usb and issue some hex commands ? . I did upgrade the FPGA code but havent yet sucessfully upgraded the PIC code. [edit- got the pic updated, had to be root] The client software is java based. After playing with the RLE and turning on all the channels ( the channel bug should be fixed by the latest FPGA firmware)[edit - it was ], It did store and decode the serial data from a spektrum DX4e. It correctly identified the baudrate at 125K. It couldnt decode the data due to the way the DX4e sends the data. I got plans on using the arduino to shift some bits. who knows if I'll get there or not. For the price it is very cool.
  6. Xprotolab Mixed Signal Scope - At 1 x 1.6 inches this thing is amazing to me. a scope/waveform generator that you can put on a breadboard. The firmware has a very complete feature set. In the end I'll probably use the waveform generator more than anything.
  7. arduino uno - A great learning tool. Uses an Atmel processor similar to what is in the 9x. Lots of add on shields available. I got the Inventors kit, but wasnt happy with the accessories. See comments on the link. If I had to do it again I would buy the uno and get my accessories separately. Arduiono has lots of libraries to get you up and running quickly. It also hides some of the details of the 'c' programming too. The client software is Java based.
  8. tektronics 2225 scope - Got it a couple years ago from ebay. I haven't had the greatest luck with used test equipment from ebay. This works except when it is first turned on it makes a hissy sound for a few minutes. After a bit it kicks in ok. My guess is something with the high voltage power supply for the crt. I had an old tv that made a similar sound way back. The first scope I got off of ebay didnt work right so I sent it back. So 2 different sellers, 2 different scopes, neither one great.
  9. AudioControl Spectrum Analyzer SA-3051 - Had bought one of these new nearly 20 years ago. They cost twice as much now. Used it as a sound man for a band. Well I thought I needed it :) . Lost that one in the shuffle of life. Bought a used one from ebay couple years ago. It works ok but has in intermittent problem with the display in RTA mode. doesnt happen much. the pink noise generator worked when I got it but not now. Again used test equipment from ebay. AudioControl doesnt put out any schematics. I may send it back to them or play with it myself. I used it lastly to tune the stereo in my car. the old school led array is cool.
  10. Turnigy Accucel Balancer/Charger - Got it to balance charge the batteries that will eventually go into my 9x. Seemed to work well in my testing and has lots of options for charging batteries.
  11. ZOTAC MAG HD-ND01 SFF PC - This is the SFF ( small form factor ) pc mounted on the back of the lcd monitor. I originally got it for use as a HTPC. The Atom dual cores are a little whimpy for what I want, but the Java apps run ok once loaded. The fan is too noisy for a HTPC but that isnt an issue here. Just like all the reviews say, the wireless card sucks on throughput. I'm gonna replace it with a used intel m-pci-e card when i switch out the hard drive for an ssd. If you aint used an ssd, try it, you'll like it. they are quick but dont trust your data to them. Well at least not the OCZ vertex units I buy. 60Gb is enough for a linux install. All the data goes on the server.
  12. magnifying lense with light - Yea I'm old and cant see as well as I could
  13. various sensors and components- bought a lot of cheap stuff through ebay. sensors, shields etc. Lets see how they work out. I would love to build a AUV with FPV. lIke an arducopter.

Hope this post helps anyone looking to get started. Questions comment or tips appreciated.
Randy
Attachments
2012-02-28_13-27-26_348.jpg
2012-02-23_13-07-25_812.jpg
2012-03-11_08-54-13_612.jpg
2012-03-05_13-46-50_906.jpg
Last edited by rperkins on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bill516

Re: Built a workbench

Post by bill516 »

I'm jealous, I have to make do with the table in the dinning room, pain in the rear when meal times come around.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Dont be. A good meal with conversation is under rated . I usually eat sitting in the recliner, if here at all. Hard to solder in the recliner though. Was starting to feel like a hermit packrat with all the stuff strewn everywhere. Getting back to normal now. Thanks for the reply.
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

Yes truly jealous Especially of the test gear.. I could drool all day

Regs Andy
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

Forgot to ask whats the Radio in the upper left hand on top of the scope?

Regs Andy

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Hi. The radios back there are either a dx4e that came with my mcpx or else it is a 9x.
Well it could be a parkzone xmitter i got for the module in it. Thanks for the post.
I havent had a lot of time lately to play with stuff.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Vinyl paint to try.
Auto parts stores sell a paint for Vinyl and plastics to use for car dash restorations.I've used it to paint Almond computer DVD drives etc black to match my black cases. It sticks and covers well so far for me. Maybe there are places that have better prices for you but look for it. The cans are smaller than many so you may need a few but I think it'll work for you.
If you give me a day I'll try in on some PVC pipe. let it dry, and give it the scrape and bang test and report back.
SM
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for the reply. I'll just let ghe paint go for now. I appreciate the offer. If i do it again i will sand the tubing first.
like some of the tutorials said. Overall the bench is working well. I've gotten caught up playing with a ds1077 oscilator breakout board from sparkfun. Learning how to send i2c commands via a bus pirate which vary the freq of the osc. I did get my 9x flashed, but haven't gotten the usbasp permanently installed nor the dsm2 module complete. Did get a fet installed to switch on and off the HK backlight. . If only work didnt take so much time.
Crashj007

Post by Crashj007 »

The paint my GMC group recommends for plastic is SEMs, which may be what ShowMaster mentioned. I have used Krylon for Plastics with good results, but have not used on PVC specifically. All plastic things have some parting agent on the surface or even included in the material. This can usually be removed with denatured alcohol. Primer helps with adhesion, too. This applies to finishing the case as well.
--
FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH from Nitroplanes
Smartieparts board & backlight
Stock Flysky RF and mainboard
er9x FW V 744
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

rperkins wrote:Hi. The radios back there are either a dx4e that came with my mcpx or else it is a 9x.
Well it could be a parkzone xmitter i got for the module in it. Thanks for the post.
I havent had a lot of time lately to play with stuff.
I meant the Ham radio up in the left corner Well it looks like a TS-480 or such?

Andy
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

The thing in the black case. It's an audio spectrum analyzer. Usefull for a sound man for gigs, or to tune the freq. Response of a car stereo.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t37/60172/1 ... -3051.html
CTSmithey

Post by CTSmithey »

Darn nice work bench there. :) good work!
RC Airboat build log.
[url]http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2364[/url]
Strange can not get the URL to work. lol!

Return to “Other Electronic Projects”