Can 9XR be used with a buddy cable to a Spektrum dx5e/dx6?

tgy9x is a fork of er9x, and is the default firmware that is released by hobbyking on the Turnigy 9XR transmitter.
stryker

Post by stryker »

Hi,

With apologies for the cross-post (I had also posted this question to the Turnigy 9XR forum last week).

Using the JR cable is it possible to have a student on a 9XR and the trainer on a Spektrum (or vice versa)? If so is there any particular firmware update or setting that is different to the standard trainer settings to be aware of?

Thanks
Geoff

ShowMaster

Re: Can 9XR be used with a buddy cable to a Spektrum dx5e/dx

Post by ShowMaster »

The er9x and opentx FW supports channel order remapping on the ppm out as well as polarity. The answer is yes. The 9xr should have a model memory set to output the same channel order as the master uses.
Just plug in the trainer cords. You may have to turn the 9xr on so try it off and then on.
No damage will happen trying it so depending on the FW used, check out the manual for that FW and give it a try.
If the 9xr is the master you should be able to tell it to reassign the trainer input channel order to match the 9xr's in the trainer menu option.

I'm sure others will post a more detailed setup answers but check out the manual also.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

No problem doing it either way but generally you are better off using the 9XR as the master (the one bound to the model) and the Dx5e as the student box, simply because that way your programming can be as sophisticated as you like. For example, the model could have dual aileron servos on separate channels, or a three channel model (RET) could be set up so that the rudder is controlled by both rudder and aileron sticks, to allow steering on the ground with the left stick and in the air with the right stick.

In such a setup, the student transmitter doesn't need any mixing, as the stick outputs go into the 9XR, where they are mixed and modified as necessary.

All that's necessary is to set up the Trainer screen appropriately. It's one of the screens associated with Radio Setup, accessed by going left from the main screen. There may be slight differences between the Turnigy firmware, ER9X and Open9X, so check the relevant manual and if you run into problems, come back with specifics.

On the student transmitter (DX5e) you just plug in the cable with the switch turned OFF. Make sure the trims are centered,You may need to adjust the gain on the master transmitter screen to set appropriate movements. Generally, I would set the control throws about the same as those given by the master when both are in high rate, then set the student transmitter to low rate for initial stages of training. You will also need to use the calibrate feature on the master trainer screen to eliminate any movement of the control surfaces when the trainer switch is flipped. Make sure the motor turns on and off with similar stick positions on the two transmitters. And make sure everything moves in the right direction!

If you wanted to use the DX5e as master, no problem. Bind the receiver to it and set it up so you have the correct control throws and directions. Then set up a new model on the 9XR using the Slave setting in Model Setup (again, check the manual for your firmware, as there may be differences. Plug in, probably with switch OFF, though on some it has to be on. Now adjust throws, directions, subtrims, etc. to match the master.

I hope this gives you what you need. Come back (or PM) if you have problems.

EDIT: Good point above about making sure the channel order matches. The DX5e uses TAER and can't be changed.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

[quote="Daedalus66"

Then set up a new model on the 9XR using the Slave setting in Model Setup (again, check the manual for your firmware, as there may be differences.[/quote]
Where? On the 9XR?? ;) :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Sorry about that. It looks like there is no trainer choice in Open9X model setup. How about ER9X, a variant of which is the stock 9XR firmware? Master/slave is there in OpenTX for Taranis and while ERsky9X has trainer on/off.

It looks as though the master trainer arrangement in Radio Setup is essentially the same across all firmware versions, but the slave arrangement in Model Setup varies.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

On 9x/9xr slave = power switch off, master on.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Kilrah wrote:On 9x/9xr slave = power switch off, master on.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
That's certainly the general rule, and has been forever on JR-type transmitters, but there are exceptions which require the slave to be on too. One is the Lp5DSM. Another is my 9XR with Open9x. And I have heard there are others.
stryker

Post by stryker »

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling more confident now about ordering a 9XR, especially since the community here is so live and helpful - the radio silence at the official forum had me concerned I have to say.

I'll try it with the standard firmware, but will look into ER9X if we have no joy. I look forward to reporting back with the success with this, and any additional traps we discover and resolve.

Cheers ! Geoff
stryker

Post by stryker »

stryker wrote:I'll try it with the standard firmware, but will look into ER9X if we have no joy. I look forward to reporting back with the success with this, and any additional traps we discover and resolve.
Hi and thanks again to everyone for the advice. You were right on the money.

Received the 9xr and the first hurdle was to swap over the gimble hardware since the only one in stock in the AU warehouse was a Mode 2 at the time. Set it up with the stand, OrangeRX module and defined a model using the tips above. While it would bind and operate the E-flite we couldn't get it to buddy up with the DX5 either as trainer nor student. We then tried it with a Spektrum DX8 which confirmed it couldn't see it either.

Flashed the firmware to the current version of ER9X and the DX5 saw it as a student over the buddy cable first try. So the answer is "yes", but after the firmware is updated.

Thanks all,
Geoff
stryker

Post by stryker »

An important PS: in mapping we had to make the elevator and rudder -100 as the 9xr had those controls inverted. There's probably a better way, but that's how I got around it.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Going to negative weight is as good a way as any. You could also reverse those channels in the DX5e.

Return to “tgy9xr”