RN-42 Bluetooth

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
terabyte

Re: RN-42 Bluetooth

Post by terabyte »

if I connect PC to BT module with Putty will I just see information streaming or do I need to do something else?
I checked and my pins don't look inverted which is the normal thing to check with serial communications...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8092/8470213998_eb5aff468b_b.jpg

Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Go to settings in FRS logger whilst receiving telemetry, and then "connect" perhaps?

terabyte wrote:please help! hey guys.

I got my RN-42 module for SparkFun. I soldered it up to a 4 pin cpu fan connector as seen below.
I am getting data from the FrSky telemetry module back to my radio no problem however I can't get it to FRSLogger on my phone nor my tablet. Both devices pair without a problem and I can connect from within FRSLogger but I get an error that says "Alarm! Telemetry interrupted"

I'm running r99 on my radio.

terabyte

Post by terabyte »

Clivew wrote:Go to settings in FRS logger whilst receiving telemetry, and then "connect" perhaps?

Did that. It connects BT:UP but no RX:
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

No rssi?
There was a bug, have you got the latest version of logger?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have a RN-42 on the way, so I should be able to check things out. Need to check the Tx and Rx connections are the correct way round. Both signals should idle high (3.3V).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Great news Mike! We need help as usual :?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I mention the Tx and Rx signals because when I had a RN-42 on a board I found the tracking was wrong and these were reversed. Then my RN-42 failed! I think the labeling on the 4-pin connector is correct for the processor, but swapped for the RN-42 as Tx goes to Rx and Rx goes to Tx.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
terabyte

Post by terabyte »

Sorry guys, i feel like an idiot. On pg 11 of the model configuration is the BT Telemetry option element and since it was all the way on the bottom i missed it. I wish i had more time to help write a manual...
terabyte wrote:please help! hey guys.

I got my RN-42 module for SparkFun. I soldered it up to a 4 pin cpu fan connector as seen below.
I am getting data from the FrSky telemetry module back to my radio no problem however I can't get it to FRSLogger on my phone nor my tablet. Both devices pair without a problem and I can connect from within FRSLogger but I get an error that says "Alarm! Telemetry interrupted"

I'm running r99 on my radio.

terabyte

Post by terabyte »

Big thanks Mike. Yeah i checked the RN manual and the pins are reversed for rx\tx relative to your documentation which is what it should be since its a com port. you still have time to cancel that order?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No need for me to cancel, I need the RN-42 anyway.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
terabyte

Post by terabyte »

anything I can test for you guys now that I have it working? GPS tracking is just so badass!!! Till be pretty useful in the event of an FPV "incident"
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

I have had no success connecting my Bluechip Neon phone (el cheapo) to RN-42/JY-MCU Module
It pairs instantly, simply wont connect with FRSY Dashboard , FRS Logger or Blueterm.
No problem with Nexus 7.
Buy cheap, buy twice?

Clive
terabyte

Post by terabyte »

My Asus EeePad Transformer running ice cream sandwich and my Samsung Nexus S jellybean are both running perfectly now that I turned off the idiot switch. If I can get my hands on something "el cheapo" i will try it.

Man I have been drooling over that Nexus 7 but I just can't justify it when I already have a nice 10" tablet.
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Idiot switch??
Which one?
terabyte

Post by terabyte »

Hmm where did that post go? I found the error of my ways by going to pg 11 of the model config and turning on BT streaming all the way at the bottom.
Rogue3

Post by Rogue3 »

Clivew wrote:I have had no success connecting my Bluechip Neon phone (el cheapo) to RN-42/JY-MCU Module
It pairs instantly, simply wont connect with FRSY Dashboard , FRS Logger or Blueterm.
Clive
Hmm. A lot of tinkering without getting bluetooth going. Like Clivew; I have the JY-MCU bluetooth which one can connect to; but no data comes through. Shown on Ersky9x fine. Swapped TX/RX just to see if that works but no. On ebay it is reported as being default 9600. Have tried all settings in telemetry screen 115K, 19.2K, 9.6K without success.
Thoughts?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I took back a new galaxy tablet after exhausting all tries to get it to connect to the frsky dashboard app. It would pair with the tablet but not the program. I could connect to my netbook and send data so I know it's not the RN-42.
I read where many times the tablet makers disable the ability of some devices to connect. I'm sure this was the case. Maybe we need a list here if devices, and OS that will run the app and connect to the RN-42. There were some posts for inexpensive tablets from china but again will they work with this app? I want wifi and BT and the app compatibly and inexpensive. Anyone have recommendations ? I don't own a smart phone. My iPod touch finds free wifi almost everywhere now and my cable provider has saturated the LA area with free hotspots this year.

Good topic, cheap tablets that work with the frsky app.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
calla969

Post by calla969 »

I'm pretty sure all Bluetooth profiles work on the B&N Nook Color. They don't come with the Bluetooth module activated or supported, so the hacking community has enabled it with full support. I have a Nook Color, but I haven't bought an RN-42 yet. I think the Nook Color is a good size, inexpensive, and decent quality, just need to confirm that it works with the apps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
terabyte

Post by terabyte »

nexus 7 cheap enough???
terabyte

Post by terabyte »

Rogue3 wrote:
Clivew wrote:I have had no success connecting my Bluechip Neon phone (el cheapo) to RN-42/JY-MCU Module
Clive
Hmm. A lot of tinkering without getting bluetooth going. Like Clivew; I have the JY-MCU bluetooth which one can connect to; but no data comes through. Shown on Ersky9x fine. Swapped TX/RX just to see if that works but no. On ebay it is reported as being default 9600. Have tried all settings in telemetry screen 115K, 19.2K, 9.6K without success.
Thoughts?
have you gone to pg 11 of the mofel config and enabled BT Streaming? its the very last option on that page.
Rogue3

Post by Rogue3 »

thanks terabyte; but still it eludes me. However I have a programmer to change it to 115K coming; will look at it then. I also documented bluetooth in the wiki; please take a look and make any mods or suggestions and I will document.
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... th_Modules:
Orphee

Post by Orphee »

Hi,

No sure to understand all, you suggest to not solder the RN-42 on the board ?
I ordered one, i'd prefer to solder it on the board, better intergrated... no?

Can we imagine in the future a multiwii bluetooth link ? to change settings on the multicopter directly from the radio ?

Thank you
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When developing the ersky9x board I had a RN-42 soldered to the board, but it failed on me (very low impedance, caused the 3.3V regulator to overheat and shutdown).
Getting it off the board, with all its pads soldered was tricky. This is why we now recommend NOT soldering it to the board.

Rogue3: The last revision (r107) of ersky9x supports programming the JY-MCU BT module with the set baudrate. This only works reliably if the module does not 'pair' with something early on, it switches out of command mode if it does 'pair'.
I got a small USB-BT adapter (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Produ ... SB-adapter) for my PC for testing, then I can use a terminal program to check the bluetooth is working.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rogue3

Post by Rogue3 »

Ok that is good. I can't recall what my connect timing was now!
If one does not have a connected Bluetooth device; does this work again?
(I have a USB-bt adaptor coming to investigate).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It check every time you switch the radio on and should work as long as the JY-MCU BT module does not pair.
You have to switch off and on again if you change the baudrate setting in the menu.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rogue3

Post by Rogue3 »

MikeB, interestingly; when I finally got my HobbyKing FTDI; I followed the instructions (using putty on win 7) and rapidly found out it was still set to the default settings of 9600. A few minutes later, I had it set to 115200. Reinstalled in the radio and a few minutes later than that I had working bluetooth telemetry!!! So I don't know why the ersky9x was not self configuring it; I didn't have anything connected. Anyway; fixed. For the record; it is a JY-MCU bluetooth module and reported the linvorV1.5 version.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Some BT modules , will not go into a config mode, if there is a active BT signal present.

you need to turn off the "other" BT unit , until the module gets powered up and config info sent to it.

-Brent
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

On the STAT2 screen (UP LONG, UP, UP), there is a Bt debug value. Let me know what value you see there if the baudrate does not change properly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

I have a BT module need to change the baud rate. need 115200 baud but obviously it did not come with that. I am using Win7 64 bit ultimate. what program can I use to do this?

I have the Frysky old Fuc-1 that I believe is a USB - TTL converter that can be used to hook up the BT and PC.

Crucial had a good write up here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=986&p=14647&hilit=a ... ate#p14647
but need a program to do it.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You need a straightforward terminal program. If you have access to an older computer, just copy hyperterminal from it.

Ersky9x is 'supposed' to change the baudrate for you, just make sure the device the BT module connects to is not ON when you do this. Once the BT module has paired, the local commands to change the baudrate don't work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”