Aurora gimbal usable ?

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Scott Page

Re: Aurora gimbal usable ?

Post by Scott Page »

Ok - as usual - I'm tagging along late to the party. This thread is a few months old -- so I would like to know the state of matters now.

If I have an ersky board -- can i simply replace the stock gimbals with aurora gimbals - straight up. Just re-calibrate and go? Or is there more to it?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The Aurora gimbals don't have the special pots the 9x gimbals have, so their analog voltage range is reduced. I have added a 'gain' option in the ersky9x software that allows this voltage to be amplified, inside the ARM processor, restoring the voltage range. There is an option in a menu to configure this.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

That sounds great. Do they pretty much drop in?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Not a perfect fit. You will need to mod the case a bit!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

O ... I'm not so sure about that then. My wife said the same thing bout me before marriage and she never did get the changes she sought. :lol:

After winter holidays I'll have to give this a go. I pretty much shot my hobby money until next payday. Physical cutting and such I'm ok with. soldering makes me nervous -- although I seem to do ok with it.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

ShowMaster wrote:My stock order (2) is out of stock for a week or so. I guess I'll have time to read up on how to install them.
Any new info about installation tips will be appreciated.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
My stick order keeps being pushed back. A guess they say is now Dec24.
No real date now. I guess too many of us wanted them ha ha.
Oh well.
SM

Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
silverdulcet

Post by silverdulcet »

ShowMaster wrote:
ShowMaster wrote:My stock order (2) is out of stock for a week or so. I guess I'll have time to read up on how to install them.
SM

ShowMaster
Oh well.
SM

Glad I ordered mine before the rush. Mine installed fine. One tip though. Make sure that you sand the opening enough so that they can be pushed through the opening. If you don't when you close the transmitter back up the back of the transmitter will depress that flexible metal strip over the ratcheting mechanism. If you want smooth action on the sticks you need to make sure that the back of the transmitter doesn't depress that or you will get ratcheting regardless of where the screw adjuster is set.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

ShowMaster wrote:
SM

ShowMaster
Oh well.
SM

Wow, now you have a chance to make a "How To" video as you install the new gimbals. ;)
Stolidedog

Post by Stolidedog »

I hope someone can help me. I got the new Sky9x board (3.0) and Aurora Gimbals from Lynx Motion. I finally got around to installing everything today. I got the gimbals mounted pretty nicely and soldered up. Went to calibrate and only two of the four pots work. I double and triple checked my wiring and even tested with a ohm meter, two good, two bad.

I went to Lynx Motion and they don't even carry the gimbals anymore. Does anyone know where I can get new pots for this thing? Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks if anyone knows.

Bob
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Just to be sure,
When you say the pots are bad, in what way?
Assuming you've measured the pots directly, is the wiper open or the end connection(s) of the pot open?
SM

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The aurora gimbals need a different multiplier?
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok on the multiplier but he says 2 are bad according to his ohm meter. What does bad mean? Open, wrong resistance?
I'm not sure if it's a bad pot on each stick or one stick with 2 bad pots.
SM

Stolidedog

Post by Stolidedog »

When I measure the ohms when I turn the pots on the two that I think are bad, barely no change in ohm reading via the ohm meter (taken off the gimbals and spinning by hand). The other two show a very different reading. The calibration on the Tx is consistent with the reading from the ohm meter (no movement). I am guessing maybe the pots are sensitive and I must have scorched them with the soldering iron. I doubt they would have been sent to me bad, especially two of them. It seems pretty unlikely, so I'll blame this problem on myself.

So I'm pretty much screwed now, unless I can get new pots or buy another gimbal(s). It doesn't look like Lynx Motion has them anymore.

Thanks.

Bob
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes I understand but please, :?:
are you measuring from the center wiper to each pot end and turning the shaft and then from the other pot end to center turning the shaft.
The resistive element is a resistance tied between the two pot ends. The wiper wipes the resistive element as it's turned. Depending on the pot end used and the wiper may tell you if the wiper is open or just one pot end.
May be fixable. This should be done with the stick disconnected for the 9x board. I also asked if it's 2 pots on one stick or one pot on two sticks. Please reread and post the exact answers to my questions. It may help sort this out. Unless you used a TORCH, I can't see you ruining two pots?
A picture of the pots and connected wires will help also. I also ask for an actual ohm reading your getting from the good and bad pots. Again, all tests should be made with your ohm meter with the stick connectors unplugged. This removes any influance the board may have on the actual pots values and actions.
Edited to correct first post. :oops:
Looking at the picture please measure from pot 1 to pot 3 and post value on good and bad pot NOT plugged into 9x board. Next measure from pot 2 to pot 1 and pot 2 to pot 3 values with stick in center on good and bad pots. Please post those measured ohm values.
Thank you
SM
Attachments
pot4f.jpg
pot4f.jpg (32.75 KiB) Viewed 17464 times
POT.jpg
POT.jpg (27.57 KiB) Viewed 17464 times
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

SM, Maybe I'm completly wrong here but maybe you mean from pot 1 to pot 3 on the first measurement??

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

jhsa wrote:SM, Maybe I'm completly wrong here but maybe you mean from pot 1 to pot 3 on the first measurement??

João
Yes, I had a phone call and went brain dead. I'll correct it. I think we know what I'm trying to do here, get the facts in black and white with values. Hopefully it's fixable and not serious.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Totoff wrote:Unfortunately, It was sold per unit. :cry:
I didnt buy them from Lynxmmotion website found in another topic as Shipping costs to France were definitevely insanes (about 100$). :shock: :shock:

Found them in germany here.
Anyway I was planning to replace the right stick as I'm suspecting a strange behaviour on the original one (described in a support topic).

Edit: I've been able to make few flights outdoor this morning and This is fantastic ! Really love precision of control !
FYI
Lynxmmotion took my order, listing the sticks in stock but has removed the sticks from their site. They keep pushing back the date with no actual clue?
The Germany site does not list them either?
It looks like the window of opertunity to buy them has closed?
My next chore is getting a refund or a solid yes or no I'll get my order.
RATS! :cry:
Stolidedog

Post by Stolidedog »

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not being specific. Tell you what, I will put together a video and word summary explaining the reading as ShowMaster asked. One thing I'll tell you is one of the pots I'm playing with doesn't hold steady. If you push around the on the shaft (in or out) the ohms fluctuate a lot, so right there it tells me it is bad. No I didn't use a torch but the plastic on one has melted enough to where the wiper is loose and the bad pots were not just on one gimbal.

Anyway, I'll get a video up. It is going to take me a while because I have to run some errands today.

Bob
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, now it's getting clearer. Hitec
http://www.hitecrcd.com/
May sell pots as replacements?
I'm going to contact them after the holidays and see if they can order sticks for me since I think I'm out of luck with robot stores.
It does seem that you were able to damage the pots if the wiper "wiggles".
Taking one apart would be the next fix to see what's fixable if at all.
I've had great success fixing the bad 9x pots but it is delicate work.
You maybe able to find pots from other Hitec TXs if you know the values. In all your posts you mention using a meter but never ohm values? I can't tell if it's overlooked or your a little challenged in test equipment usage?
I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to get more reliable facts work with.
Once we're all on the same page hopefully we can find a fix.
Many of us here do our best to help and the better the intel, the better the help.
If the pots work but are intermittent it may be posable to totally disassemble them and many with CA glue or some other approach stop the wiggling contact issue?
Just trying to be positive about it still.

SM

Stolidedog

Post by Stolidedog »

Hi ShowMaster,

Thanks for your help and attention in this matter. I know you are not trying to be difficult. I really appreciate the help you are giving me.

Okay I got around to putting down the measurements. Two I've pulled out of the gimbal so the full range can be shown below:

1) Total Ohms= 4.89, Range 0.05 - 4.92
2) Total Ohms= 4.63, Range open - 4.80 (turning it a hair makes the circuit open and pushing it a little you might make the ohm meter jump a bit but you can't get anything accurate)

The next two are still in the gimbal and are probably OK:

Pitch) Total Ohms= 4.89, Range 1.91 - 3.14
Aileron) Total Ohms= 4.84, Range 1.93 - 3.13

So we can probably say I have one bad pot, not two. I probably wasn't measuring correctly. Second, you mentioned the pot might be fixable like the 9x pots. I don't think so because these look to be sealed plastic and not the metal ones like the 9x ones, so there isn't any tabs to pry open. The wiggle problem doesn't seem to be the root cause. I think something is broken inside because it sort of sticks when the shaft reaches mid and you have to turn harder to go to the other side. I could maybe figure out how to cut it open and see what's up, but I don't think I would want to trust it for flying anything. Know what I mean?

I Googled all over for the pots. There is a number stamped on them "502Tc" and I can't find anything anywhere about them.

Hmm, too bad Lynxmotion doesn't sell them anymore. I wonder why? Anyway, I'll see I can make the one good one work and use one of the old gimbals. The ironic thing was the pot in one of the old gimbals went bad and started me down this path. I did the fix there, clean, try, no work, clean, paint with conductive paint, try, no work. And like everyone the only place that might make replacement pot is in some obscure place in China which you can't order from.

Any ideas or info anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Bob
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the info. This may be helpful to others here that have the same sticks.
The 502 means 50+ 2 more zeros or 5000 ohms. The Tc may be the taper?
Any chance for a closeup picture of the pot?
Long shot but the more facts/pictures posted and it sometime brings other on line with new ideas.
SM

Stolidedog

Post by Stolidedog »

Here are the photos. I took them with my phone, not the best but hopefully they can help someone.

Well, it appears I must of fried my new Sky9x board ($100.00 + $40.00 gimbals) and no Tx that works. A speck of solder that hits the wrong place or a pot wire that grounded to another one is all it takes. I'm kicking this c**p to the curb. It has been nothing but a nightmare, I'm done. Good luck to you guys, hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Happy Holidays folks!

Bob
Attachments
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the pictures.
Sorry for the run of bad luck. Put it on hold for a short time and give it a second try.
How bad is your board?
SkyNorth. Brent, may want to take a look at it once his boards are all sent out?
If its just a bad part it's replaceable but from what you've gone thru I think you may not be the one to do it. The stick pots are another issue. Now that you've posted pictures maybe someone will know a source for a square 5k pot.

Soldering is a bit of an art form that requires practice. Also dropping solder blobs onto board electronics is common. Myself I use a acid type brush with the brisels cut to about 1/4in. I use the highest % rubbing alcohol I can find on the brush to wash down the board area I've been working on. I turn the board upside down so any blobs ect fall off with the help of gravity and the brush.
A little late advice but worth mentioning.
Your board may not be a lost cause, what's messed up.
SM

Stolidedog

Post by Stolidedog »

I arched the black and white wire on the pots a couple of times by accident. The board rebooted each time, but now it doesn't come up at all. The screen lights up but not bright and nothing on the display, just a blank screen. I have all the pots from the gimbals removed from the board connection and still nothing. Maybe a resistor or something is now burnt, but I can't smell anything burnt but then again I'm not a blood hound :). Assuming it was something like that, I don't want to attempt replacing it myself. I've learned I'm not that great a soldering small stuff.

Maybe your right I could get Brent to have a look when he has time. I don't want to bother him while he's busy.

Thanks for your help and advice ShowMaster.

Bob
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

If you still have 2 good pots you can use them to make one good stick. Then you're only out $25 for a new stick if you can find one.
SM

Stolidedog

Post by Stolidedog »

I sent Brent an email just to pick his brain about the board problem. I got word back on the gimbals/pots. The word isn't good. Here is what they said:

--------------

Hello Robert,

Unfortunately, we do not carry the gimbals anymore and cannot source the replacement photometers. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for choosing RobotShop.

We hope this helps,

Carlos Asmat
Technical Team - Équipe Technique
RobotShop inc.
Putting Robotics at Your Service!®
La Robotique à votre Service!®
Web: www.robotshop.com
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

OK, next option is to get your board fixed and wait for 9x tx's to be put up for sale due to the competition of new systems. Many may have stockpiled them to sell off later on ebay etc. The price may drop to a new low for a stock one and you can just transfer your sky board. Of course if your old sticks are still good and will fit back after the case mod then you're ahead there.
The sky board is a very powerful board and has all the telemetry interfaces in it. I'd get it going and go fly and have some fun there. We got into this to fly more not less.

I gave up on the new sticks today because of no stock.

SM
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

ShowMaster wrote:OK, next option is to get your board fixed and wait for 9x tx's to be put up for sale due to the competition of new systems. Many may have stockpiled them to sell off later on ebay etc. The price may drop to a new low for a stock one and you can just transfer your sky board. Of course if your old sticks are still good and will fit back after the case mod then you're ahead there.
The sky board is a very powerful board and has all the telemetry interfaces in it. I'd get it going and go fly and have some fun there. We got into this to fly more not less.

I gave up on the new sticks today because of no stock.

SM
I pinned my hopes on cannibalizing the X9R sticks -- Also hoping to remove better switches and pots. But all of that might just be a pipe dream.
digitaldream

Post by digitaldream »

I noticed the aurora gimbals are back at lynxmotion.
Not sure if they are in stock.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I wonder?
I talked to the is Hitec rep at a recent large hobby show and asked about why no stock. He said he'd think about it but admitted that since their Hitec radio is a great product there was concern in providing the enemy, "us" with sticks to make a cheap product a better to compete with theirs.
He has a good point, Hitec sticks are a big improvement.
Hopefully he reconsidered and will help get stock ordered.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”