Reset Alt to zero on openXsensor

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Suncoaster

Reset Alt to zero on openXsensor

Post by Suncoaster »

I am posting this in this thread, but if it considered to be in the wrong place, move it to the appropriate thread. My reason for posting here is the fact the the openXsensor works on another Tx with a different firmware.

I am using version V.2771-Mike dated 06.11.2015 on my Sky9x system and I am using a openXsensor that a friend of mine was using on his Futuba Tx with a Frsky module in it and a Fld-02 display. It works as you would expect in his Tx but when installed on my Sky9x system it will wotk until I use the reset to zero option from the short press on the menu, it resets the displayed value to zero but then refuses to work after that. Is there something I have missed or did I not hold my mouth the right way when I reset the vario :lol:

Dave

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Reset Alt to zero on openXsensor

Post by MikeB »

Does it just always read zero after resetting it?
Are you using SPort or Hub?
I'll try to run a test myself, although I don't have a working oXs, I'll have to use a FrSky vario.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Yes it always resets to zero. It is connected as per the attached image to a D8R-ll+.

Dave
Vario.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've flashed that version of firmware onto my SKY board, and tested using a DJT, D8R-II, FrSky hub and hub vario.
At start, I have a reading of -29 feet (I'm on imperial) with some jumping. If I use the popup and zero the Alt, then the reading goes to 0, but still jumps a bit showing the vario data is still being received. If I raise and lower the vario, I get the reading going above and below 0, so it all seems to be working correctly on the radio.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

In frsky protocol, when the config ask to sent "Altitude", oXs sent normally the altitude above see level (no offset).
When combined with openTx, there is a process in openTx that consider the first Altitude being received as the altitude of the field.
For each new value of altitude received by openTx, it will calculate the difference from the first altitude and it will display this difference (= relative difference).
Pressing on some key (enter I think) OpenTx allows to reset the Altitude at any moment (it means taking the last received altitude as the new field altitude). This is useful because it is easier to reset on the Tx side than on oXs side.

Still the possibily has been foreseen (I think) in oXs to force a reset of altitude when a button is added.

For some protocol (e.g. Multiplex), the TX does not calculate the relative altitude and I have foreseen to calculate it inside oXs.
It would be possible to allow to configure oXs in order to directly sent the relative altitude even in Frsky protocol.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The popup option takes the current altitude value and uses that as the field altitude, then you have the relative altitude shown. I have recently added code to use the first received altitude as the field altitude, as you describe. It isn't in the version mentioned in the first post, so you just have to use the popup option to set it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

The only time the values fluctuate for both vspd and alt are before I use the popup to reset it to zero, as soon as I reset they stay solid on zero for both values. I thought I was using the latest firmware for the sky9x board, I have seen later test versions on the test thread but I thought they were just for the 9xtreme and AR9x systems, I can flash one of those if you tell me which one to use.

Dave
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That could also be a problem with the openXsensor version you have installed in the arduino? Or is it the latest already?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This is very odd. Since I tested the operation using the firmware you are using, I can't see anything wrong. Also, using the "Reset to Zero" popup option does nothing with the Vspd value or processing. All it does is take a copy of the current altitude and use that as an offset for the displayed value.
Is your oXs sending any other data than Alt and Vspd, and, if so, are these still values still working after using the "Reset to Zero" option?
As a test, please display the telemetry value TmOK on a custom display. This indicates whether telemetry data is being received. 0 is no data, 1 is "Receiver data" (A1, A2, RSSI, TSSI), and 2 is "Hub data". If this is not 2, then the altitude data is no longer being received.

I may need to find my openXvario I have somewhere and flash it to openXsensor.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

jhsa wrote:That could also be a problem with the openXsensor version you have installed in the arduino? Or is it the latest already?

João
The version I am using is V2.5 which I thought was the latest, or if it is not can you point me in the right direction for the latest version.

Dave
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote:This is very odd. Since I tested the operation using the firmware you are using, I can't see anything wrong. Also, using the "Reset to Zero" popup option does nothing with the Vspd value or processing. All it does is take a copy of the current altitude and use that as an offset for the displayed value.
Is your oXs sending any other data than Alt and Vspd, and, if so, are these still values still working after using the "Reset to Zero" option?
As a test, please display the telemetry value TmOK on a custom display. This indicates whether telemetry data is being received. 0 is no data, 1 is "Receiver data" (A1, A2, RSSI, TSSI), and 2 is "Hub data". If this is not 2, then the altitude data is no longer being received.

I may need to find my openXvario I have somewhere and flash it to openXsensor.

Mike.
I still get TSSI and RSSI, I will check the rest tomorrow as I have just got home and I am off to bed.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've put together a openXsensor, flashed with the firmware compiled using the sources as they currently are on Github.
All works as I expect, and setting the Alt. to zero works, but the sensor still sends back values and they display giving relative altitude.
The oXs is only sending altitude and Vspd.

This is testing with firmware from 6-Nov on the SKY board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

TmOK value is 2. The version of openXsensor on Github is V5.0 I am only using v2.5 I don't know if that makes a difference but I have just downloaded this version and I will upload this to my sensor and carry out more tests tomorrow.

I will advise you of the results after that.

Dave
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

OK I have updated the sensor to V5 and it does not change anything. I don't know if it means anything but the initial Alt value is always -2704. The only thing I don't understand is why it works in a Futaba system with a FrSky module with a D8R-ll+ Rx and FLD-02 display.

Back to the drawing board.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you have (can you make) a cable to connect the serial on the back of the DJT to your PC?
I ask because eepe includes a telemetry option where you may display the altitude from the frsky hub if the DJT is connected to a PC serial port. This could be a useful test to check what the oXs is sending.
You could even use a terminal program and capture the serial data to a file.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

I could make such a cable but where would I connect it to on my PC as it does not have a serial port. I assume it would just be a single wire from the Tx connection on the module, but where would it go to?

Sorry to be a pest I know you have more important things to do.

Dave
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You need a USB to RS232 adapter..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Thanks João, I should have realised that myself :oops: I will check with a couple of my computer nerd friends and see if they have one otherwise I will get one on ebay.

Dave
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

jhsa wrote:This is what you need

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Cable.html

João
Thanks João, I have ordered one and in the mean time this gets stranger by the minute. I decided to try using my 9xr Pro and it works :o the Pro is on an old version of the firmware V1935-Mike, 26-08-2015.

I have just downloaded the latest test versions and will update both the sky9x system as well as the 9xr Pro and then test both.

Dave

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”