Switch Upgrades

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Switch Upgrades

Post by MikeB »

Yes. The way I've configured things, you use the 'spare' analog inpput for the ELE switch to operate as a 3-POS (or 6-POS). If you do that, then the original ELE digital input may be used to convert one of THR or RUD to 3-POS. If ELE is 2-POS, then this digital input is not available, so you can't convert the THR or RUD switches.
If you have the ELE as a 3-POS, then set (say) THR to 3-POS, then the option for RUD disappears.

I had to limit the total number of variants for the switches to make it possible to write the firmware to be able to read the required inputs.
Maybe I can improve on the possible options in the future. It will take quite a bit of fiddling to get working.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Thanks Mike. No problem with that. Was just to confirm this is correct operation. Nice one on adding the ability to use a switch to reset the timer too!
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

Hi all new to this so bear with any stupidity.. want to add a 2nd 3 pos switch to my 9xrpro and as I don't use the gear switch I think that's my simplest option. if I've read this right I just use the existing gear switch ground and input and solder the 2nd input from the new 3 pos switch to j23pin5.. simple enough.. OK firstly I'm on version 202 according to my radio, I assume I need to update this to 204 or something newer.. a link would be nice :) .. how do I then change the gear to 3 pos in the menus, and how are the inputs labelled.. original 3 pos is ID0,ID1,ID2. what will be the input names for the GEAR switch.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hello There, don't I know you?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First of all welcome to this friendly forum ;) where most of the people are very helpful :)
Ahh, we like beer too.. Lots of it.. :D

I did answer some of your questions on the other fiorum.. So I'm going to let the developer himself answer them this time :)
Mike, you got a client here ;) :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For wiring information have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5659#p80407.
For test versions of ersky9x (including ersky9xr) look here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676#p65894.

On the 'PRO, the required pin is NOT on j23, it is pin 2 of J2, labelled "SPARE-DIG" on the left of the diagram. Fit the new switch connecting the centre pin to GND, one switched signal to the existing GEAR signal and the other one to J2 pin 2.

You then need to update the firmware to the test version, extra 3-position switch support is not formally released (yet).
The new firmware changes the way you access the RADIO SETUP items. It now has an "INDEX" page with 'links' to the actual menus. This is intended to make finding the options easier.
For the extra 3-position switches, you configure them in the "HARDWARE" menu. Just set the GEAR switch to be 3-POS.
The switch will appear as GE^, GE- and GEv in the list of switches.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

jhsa hello again.. sorry can't send you beer from France so have my thanks instead..
Mike makes perfect sense to me.. I'll look at the diagrams later.

cheers Guys
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No prob.. maybe one day we can all drink a beer together somewhere..

OpenRCforums meeting.. hmmm, that sounds good ;) :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

mike... played with the test versions and got the hardware setups as you say plus the menu option to save scrolling through the screens.. nice shortcut by the way.. re a 6 pos switch ..couple of extra questions.. is there a diagram somewhere on how to wire in the 6pos switch.. does it have to replace the ELE using the spare analog input or can it also be anywhere.. and which is the best version to play with for the xtra switches , the one labelled 205 or the other ones higher up the page?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I put dates on (usually!), and it is best to use the most recent unles it is labelled as for a very specific test.
At the moment, it has to replace the ELE switch and be wired in to the spare analog input. I used a 6-position switch that is the upgrade for the Taranis, as I had one. This means I have coded the analog values for the resistors that are on that. I need to add a calibration procedure to allow for other resistor values.

Wiring information is here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5659#p80407.

I'll try to find time to change the coding to use the wiring shown!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

I just ordered a Taranis 6 pos switch so when it arrives I'll get back to you on this.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Here is how I wired the Taranis 6-position switch into the 9XRPRO.
It is done like the 3-position change, just requiring ground and a signal to the 'spare' analog input.
05-Jul-2014
05-Jul-2014
9XRPRO_6-pos.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 13275 times
Then, just go to the HARDWARE menu and select ELE as 6-POS. It appears in switch lists as 6P0, 6P1 . . 6P5.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

OK cannibalized a 35 year old acoms radio for a resistor for this.. woo hoo.. just read back over the thread Mike and you mentioned looking at the code for the possibility of replacing the pot next to the ELE switch with the 6pos instead of the actual ELE switch.. is this still on the cards? or not.. I ask as I'm using the ELE switch currently as expo/dr on/off but I have no use for the pot next to it so using that as my 6 pos would work better for me.. OK off to garage to solder in 6pos and the 3pos in place of the gear switch..
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It is a possibility. The biggest problem is organising how to configure everything from a menu. This is particularly true given there are 3 pots, so any one could be replaced by a 6-pos switch, or replaced by a rotary encoder. Then we can only really have one 6-pos switch, so I feel I need to make sure only valid options may be selected.

I'm wondering if I need to change round the menu options. Instead of asking what the ELE switch is, perhaps I should ask what the 'spare' analog input is used for. Then, perhaps I can also ask what the three pot analog inputs are used for.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

OK mike wired in the 6 pos and 3 pos gear.. gear works as expected and shows the 3 pos on main screen. for the ELE 6 pos I have 2 options.. 6posA and 6posB if I choose A the main screen says 6P3 and if I choose B I get 6P5 on main screen.. but nothing changes when I move the switch. Is this right and what's the difference?
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

Incidentally the actual 6 pos switch was a bitch and a half to physically fit into the ELE slot.. had to remove the two locating webs inside, open the hole up to 7mm from 6mm , dremel a little the surround outside to leave room for the locknut to turn and even now the stem is a little short so the knob doesn't fit on all the way making it feel a little like it's going to drop off again.. opened up the blades of the stem a little which is better but overall not impressed with the quality or fit of the actual switch at all. But so long as it works .. ho hum..
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

don't forget that the switch wasn't made for that radio.. we are hacking this stuff ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

yeh yeh I know.. OK so far as I can see the radio simply isn't registering the 6 pos switch.. second problem is what do I select as the source to allocate the gear 3 pos switch to a channel.. if I select full it gives me 2 positions at each end but doesn't give me a middle position.. if I select swch IDx same as the original 3 pos I get nothing.. is there another 3 pos selection I'm missing somewhere?
Last edited by gizmatron on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

woohoo found it .. swch long menu press .. select gear .. long menu press.. bingo.. now just gotta redo the voice alerts.. err does the 6pos work same way?
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

Ok need instruction on the 6 pos.. can't get it to work.. might be ny fitting.. maybe while tightening it up I dislodged a wire but was sure I checked.. I'll look tomorrow but more likely I'm not understanding the programming..

EDIT forget 2nd paragraph if you read it.. error in mixer for 2nd 3 pos switch. corrected now
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I may have got the 6POSA and 6POSB wrong somewhere. The choice is regarding differrent possible resistors and wiring. I'll run some tests and see what is going on. I don't think I've tested that change with the 6POS switch, too many different radios and switches!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, just checked and 6POSA works correctly. I've posted a new test version for the 'PRO. I've added an A9 value on the DIAGANA display that is the analog value from the 3/6POS switch. See what values you get in the 6 different positions. It jitters a bit at present. My values are:
0002, 014B, 0732, 079E, 07BE, 07F8.

If you have the ELE switch as a 6-POS switch, and select the ELE switch as a mixer source, then you get 6 positions of the output.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

OK mike installed the new test version.. I'm getting no changes on the A9 DIAGANA screen just says 0351 or maybe 0352 dunno seems glitchy.. I'm doing something wrong OR my wiring is no good.. should be fine only had to swap the blue ELE wire to pin 3 J2 and solder it and the gnd to the 6 pos.. On the mixer screen what should I be selecting as SOURCE and Switch.. If I choose SWCH ELE for the source I have the options of 6P0,6P1,etc in Switch as well as the !6P0, !6P1 etc but nothing seems to make any difference

To use the GEAR 3 pos as my mode switch I select SWCH GEA in source and !GEA- in Switch and it's fine but I want 4 modes not 3
Also using original 3 pos for my camera modes SWCH IDx in source and !ID1 in Switch and it also works fine.

sooooo do I open it up again to check my wiring or am I doing something dumb? Actually have to take the back off anyway as I dropped the rubber cover for the usb etc last night in workshop somewhere.
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

OK opened the radio again just to check wiring and I had pinched the gnd wire at some point and pretty much cut through it, so redid that.. checked the resistance between UCC and FLAP on the switch ie signal and gnd and as I turn the switch I have 6 definite resistance values.. some seem a little close but without doubt the switch is working. checked it did the same at the other end of the blue wire where it plugs into the spare ANA pin and same result..the A9 on DIAGANA still shows 0351/2 glitchy..

OOOOOKKKAY while watching the A9 value I happened to hit the throttle stick.. value changes. zero throttle is the 0352 push it to 100% throttle and A9 value counts up to 095E not a direct jump either but a fast timer style count up slowing down as it approaches it's max value.. pretty sure it's not supposed to be doing that? HELP! hehe
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

oh FFS .. ok gimme a clue where R22 is then sigh.... OK found your directions ...looks like A22 to my dodgy eyesight,don't have the board open in front of me.. do I just bridge the 2 line connections with either a wire or 100ohm resistor then? And why was the A9 value changing on DIAGANA when I moved the throttle then?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, just use a piece of wire.

The analog input was 'floating'. It is quite normal for such an input to follow another input when not connected.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

OK I'll get my screwdriver and soldering iron out again then ;)

just going back to the mixer for a moment.. so once I bridge R22 I select SWCH ELE as the source?

Gonna be fun working out how to do the 4 or 5 way voice commands for this switch.. can I just assign a voice switch for each ON position or to make it work in both directions do I have to a more complicated version of the 3 way switch with duplicated voice files?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

use the ON ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

so the 6 way switch doesn't have an "OFF" status then just 6 'ON " positions.. well that makes it easier.. did I read that 8 character names are allowed for the voice files now or did I dream that one :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, 8 are allowed now.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”