ERSKY9X Coding

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
ozphoenix

Re: ERSKY9X Coding

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

Version 'pf3r221' on 9XRPro -- if you LONG UP from the Main Menu and go left to the BATTERY page, the last two digits of the Year ('17' in '2017') are flickering between '17' and '00'. The same 'flickering' between '2000' and '2017' is evident on the Date-Time screen of the radio's menu/screen. And, in a related way, if you enable the EEPROM menu and do a Backup EEPROM, sometimes you'll get a '2000' year date on the file and sometimes a '2017' year date.

Not sure if this exists in 'f4' and 'f5' - haven't had time to update to those yet, sorry.

Could you take a look at this, please?

Thanks and regards,
ozphoenix/peter m.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Curious, I didn't notice that on "f3", and it is not showing up on my current test version ("f6", not posted yet as I'm developing something) that I have on two 'PRO radios.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Could that mean problems with the RTC??

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

I still see the flickering '2000/2017' with 'f5'.

I'll have to take a look at the RTC - maybe the CMOS battery is failing?

peter m.
mapleton123

Post by mapleton123 »

I see the same "flickering year" problem on my (two) AR9x boards with attached DS3231 RTC modules. These clock modules run off the 3.3V supply voltage. I have seen this with R220, R221c8, and R221f5. At first I thought that this was just a display problem, without further ramifications. However, I can now see that on my systems, ersky9x will occasionally retrieve 2000 from the RTC, instead of 2017. If I enter the Date-Time screen often enough, I will sometimes see 2000 on the bottom (Year) line. In my log files, I see one file with "Date Modified" set to 2000. I doubt that the backup battery is the culprit here. The flickering year doesn't always occur all that frequently, so it may well be missed when looking at the Date-Time screen.

Tony

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think I can fix this. I did manage to see the problem, but I can't reproduce it repeatedly. When I added some debug to try to locate the problem and a fix, with some compiles the problem was present and with others all was OK.
Clearly, it is something to do with the last byte read from a RTC on the I2C bus. This does have special handling as the way the I2C hardware works is to transfer all but the last byte automatically, then you have to tell the hardware to stop transferring after the next (last) byte. It seems, sometimes the last byte doesn't get transferred, or is transferred too late.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted "f6" that may fix this bug. I raised the interrupt priority of the I2C so the last byte should be read correctly. In any case, I'm also reading 1 extra byte so the year should always be transferred correctly. I've also ignored the read value if the year appears as 2000.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

:D
was just testing 'f6' now - saw it before you posted this message - :D

yes, it does appear to have resolved the problem, at least on my 9XRPro - any dates on all menus now do not flicker incorrectly and an EEPROM backup has the correct file date on it.

thanks for getting on to this and correcting it so quickly - I will now also update my QX7 later today.

not to add a furfy, but I did see a '2001' date (in addition to the '2000' dates) on one of my files before this correction.

regards,
peter m.
MikeB wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:17 pm I've posted "f6" that may fix this bug. I raised the interrupt priority of the I2C so the last byte should be read correctly. In any case, I'm also reading 1 extra byte so the year should always be transferred correctly. I've also ignored the read value if the year appears as 2000.

Mike.
mapleton123

Post by mapleton123 »

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much, it appears that "f6" fixed the date problem that I saw on my TGY 9X with AR9x main board. The year field in the 2nd line of the Date-Time screen is indeed rock steady now. I'll verify the fix on my other AR9x board later today; fully expect the same result.

Thanks again,

Tony
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

My QX7 was on 'f3' but I had not observed the 'flickering year' issue on the QX7 - I updated it to 'f6' anyway and didn't see any problem introduced :)

Again, many thanks for the resolution - it appears to have been effective :)

Regards,
peter m.
ozphoenix wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 pm :D
was just testing 'f6' now - saw it before you posted this message - :D

yes, it does appear to have resolved the problem, at least on my 9XRPro - any dates on all menus now do not flicker incorrectly and an EEPROM backup has the correct file date on it.

thanks for getting on to this and correcting it so quickly - I will now also update my QX7 later today.

not to add a furfy, but I did see a '2001' date (in addition to the '2000' dates) on one of my files before this correction.

regards,
peter m.
MikeB wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:17 pm I've posted "f6" that may fix this bug. I raised the interrupt priority of the I2C so the last byte should be read correctly. In any case, I'm also reading 1 extra byte so the year should always be transferred correctly. I've also ignored the read value if the year appears as 2000.

Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I could see an incorrect date flicker on one of my Txs, and it wasn't 2000, I think it was 2024, which would be consistent with something I saw when debugging. I think any one of the 3 changes I did should have fixed the problem.

This problem only occurred on the 'PRO and the AR9X, with their external RTCs. All STM Txs have the RTC internal, so are not read using the I2C bus. The SKY board uses the co-processor, and while this is on the I2C bus, more bytes are read from it than just the date-time, so the year is read correctly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, version f6, anything else that needs particular attention/testing?

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Nothing else. There is an option for a bluetooth 4.0, CC-41 (HM-10 clone) module, and some code to handle it, but nothing to allow a connection to be made yet. Since BT 4.0 doesn't include a serial profile, you can't use it to connect to a PC as a serial port either.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:36 pm Since BT 4.0 doesn't include a serial profile, you can't use it to connect to a PC as a serial port either.
So, does it make it useless, or do you have a workaround for it?
What about wifi? I know that it is power hungry. But there are many benefits??
One of them being that Ersky9x could in theory update itself directly from a repo, or www.er9x.com?
Maybe if the power to the module could be turned off when not in use? Actually i think this should be a must, as it works on the same frequency as most actual RF modules, and it is normally more powerful than bluetooth..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted "f7". This has some changes in to help with Spektrum type telemetry from the Lemon Rx with integrated vario/altimeter.
It also has an option to flush the voice queue. In the model voice menu there is an option at the bottom to assign a switch to this function (so model specific). The queue is flushed when the switch turns on (edge triggered).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I have just seen your implementation of the FrskyX failsafe in the Multi menu.. Very nice indeed, perfect..
I have just flashed one of my STM32 Multi modules with the latest from Pascal's repo.. Now I need an RX capable of serial failsafe :) Will have to take care of that tomorrow :) ;)

Thank you

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted an new version of eepskye (for Windows). It includes the logging options. There is a button on the Telemetry tab that takes you to the new logging dialog where you configure all the logging parameters.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thank you..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted "f8". One addition in this is "Bind options" when using a FrSky XJT to a "X" type receiver. Provided the XJT and the receiver have sufficiently recent firmware, then you may use these options to set the receiver outputs to be 1-8 or 9-16, and to disable telemetry.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

This would also be nice in multi :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,
I've been away from flying (mostly) and reading up on Ersky9x for about 5-6 weeks, so I've missed a lot of what has been happening. I noticed this comment in the Test Versions Page for QX7 4th Jan 2018 version, but cannot find where there is any discussion about it (on other pages):
'...fix use of P3 as 6-pos switch....'
Can you point me to where it is explained, please?
I have an idea about using a pot to substitute as a physical 6-way (or more or less) switch, in the absence of doing any hardware mods, but maybe you've already done it :)
Thanks in advance for more information.
Regards,
peter m.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 4th Jan version is only for the Taranis Plus. P3 is a "spare" analog input, and wasn't working correctly, that test version just fixed the problem to allow it to work.
You may use a pot as a 6-pos switch, just run the calibration on it.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ok, understood - thanks.
MikeB wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:32 am The 4th Jan version is only for the Taranis Plus. P3 is a "spare" analog input, and wasn't working correctly, that test version just fixed the problem to allow it to work.
You may use a pot as a 6-pos switch, just run the calibration on it.

Mike
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Hi Mike
I just discovered a problem with the X7 version of r221g7 when using the Multi protocol menu.
There are two ways to invoke Range Test, in the main protocol screen and in the screen you get when you exit that screen (see picture).
When you use the main protocol screen, Range Test works correctly. When you use the other screen it appears to work (RANGE TEST RSSI appears on screen and the Tx beeps) but power is not actually reduced. This is so whether you use the wheel button or Menu to activate Range Test.
This is with both iRangeX and MultiOrange modules running firmware 1.1.6.20.
The same feature works correctly in the 9XR Pro.
No rush. I know how to work around the problem.
Nigel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Curious, I just tested a STM Multi module (1.2.0.13) in FrSkyX protocol on the QX7 and range check reduces power in both places.
I'll need to flash "g7" as an extra check as I was using what I intend to be actual r221, but nothing has changed in this area.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

ERSKY9X Coding

Post by Daedalus66 »

I’ve been doing more testing with confusing results. The Multi Orange modules seem to work properly now but the iRangeX still seems questionable.
Right now I have to do any testing in the house as there’s freezing rain outside! I find range checking quite variable indoors. However, this issue first showed up outdoors (when the weather was better), so it’s not just a consequence of the variability indoors.
I will give a good try tomorrow if the weather cooperates and try to get a really clear picture. So don’t waste time on this till I nail it down more firmly.
By the way, my methodology involves use of a desensitized receiver (antenna removed) so I can do both full power and reduced power testing at workable distances (the full power range is typically around 100m).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If the receiver has telemetry it will also be transmitting.. not sure it is a good idea to power it on without antennas. if that is the case, it could get damaged..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

ERSKY9X Coding

Post by Daedalus66 »

No telemetry. It’s a simple DSM2 Orange. Good point though.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,
I've checked through the menus and read through the most recent manual, but cannot see the answer to my query - maybe you can help.

I've been given some channel/mix settings for using an OpenTx radio with a Horizon Hobby/Spektrum DSMX plane (an X-VERT VTOL wing) but they're in usec time - that is, instead of +55% or -55%, the provider has given them in usec readings e.g. 980usec or whatever is appropriate at that point of stick movement.

Is there any ErSky9x screen or setting which will allow me to see what the PWM signal output is on a given channel for it's relevant stick position at any point of movement?

I want to compare my radio's actual outputs to the required figure, to ensure accuracy. I could always do the math and calculate the output pulse width in usec by multiplying the displayed % against the full range, but that's a bit cumbersome and theoretical, not actual.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, in anticipation.
ozphoenix
Daedalus66

ERSKY9X Coding

Post by Daedalus66 »

My ErSky9x transmitters show channel outputs in uSec on the limits page and in % on the main display (numerical values). I think you’ve already got what you’re asking for.

Edit: I checked and this feature was included from late 2013, so should be there in all subsequent versions.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”