ERSKY9X Coding

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
ozphoenix

Re: ERSKY9X Coding

Post by ozphoenix »

No, sorry - searched high and low - only 32GB in other devices (even found one 'bad' micro-SD in one old device - will have to get a new one for that!). Found several 4GB standard size SD cards (not micro-SD). I'll have to get my 9XRPro back on Tuesday (it'll be repaired tomorrow sometime) or buy a couple of 4GB and 8GB new units to try, if I can get out and about tomorrow.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

New test version posted. I've changed the debug relating to the missing image, as a result of the information from previous debug. This may help see why the image loading fails, debug is on the DEBUG screen.

In the "Display" menu there is now an option to set the background colour. I may add an option to set the text colour as well.
I've reduced the signal drive to the display, I think this has reduced the "hiss" further, and made it independent of the screen contents (thanks for the hint Kilrah).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,
Got it.
SD Card Status when image failed to load showed Cluster Size 32 this time.
Debug page info:
0001 0002 0009 0000 0009
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001 (yes, same info again)

On scrolling, got WATCHDOG restart (image had also disappeared again, after being re-inserted). Last BOOT REASON info:
01E2 020B 01ED

Background colour option is great (I need to learn my colour mixing combinations, though :D) Being able to do the text colour will also help, but I think that the current 'small' (thin) text size might not take colours well - happy to give it a try, though, so please add it when you have a chance.

The 'hiss' seems to be gone (comment subject to my disclaimer about my hearing, though - yesterday, a clubmate noticed that I couldn't always hear all of the various beep high-frequencies on some motor/esc combos being tested for 'tones' :lol:)

Hope this new info gives you more leads.

Today, I will acquire some different size micro-SD cards, but it will be after you're already sleeping - will give you results to find when you have time tomorrow, your time.

regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:50 pm New test version posted. I've changed the debug relating to the missing image, as a result of the information from previous debug. This may help see why the image loading fails, debug is on the DEBUG screen.

In the "Display" menu there is now an option to set the background colour. I may add an option to set the text colour as well.
I've reduced the signal drive to the display, I think this has reduced the "hiss" further, and made it independent of the screen contents (thanks for the hint Kilrah).

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That debug is odd, it indicates an error code of 9 occurring when there are 9 lines of the image left to read! But the debug showing why the error code is 9 suggests there is no error.

I've posted a new test version with an extra value that shows how many lines of the image have been read. It's always possible adding this could cause the function to behave differently!

The existing text is at least 2 pixels wide, so may show colours OK,

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Duplicate post, thanks to phone app - deleted.
Last edited by ozphoenix on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ok, will be home in about 45 minutes and can test the new version and post results asap.
MikeB wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:57 pm That debug is odd, it indicates an error code of 9 occurring when there are 9 lines of the image left to read! But the debug showing why the error code is 9 suggests there is no error.

I've posted a new test version with an extra value that shows how many lines of the image have been read. It's always possible adding this could cause the function to behave differently!

Mike
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

I duplicated the error with the last but one version and the error messages are as originally posted but the BOOT REASON number is now 98, not 96 - not sure if that means anything.

The Cluster size shows '0'.

The DEBUG values are:
0001 0002 0009 0000 0005
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001

Slightly different.

Now, I have downloaded the latest (last posted by you) version just now and the results are as follows:

On scrolling, got WATCHDOG restart (image had also disappeared again, after being re-inserted). Last BOOT REASON info:
01E2 020B 01ED

Cluster size shown as 32

SD Card Status when image failed to load showed Cluster Size 32 this time.
Debug page info:
0001 0002 0009 0000 0005 003B
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001

Back to you :ugeek:
regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:57 pm That debug is odd, it indicates an error code of 9 occurring when there are 9 lines of the image left to read! But the debug showing why the error code is 9 suggests there is no error.

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll try to add some more debug (later today, it's 01:34!), it read 59 of the 64 lines of the image.

I have changing the text colour pretty well working.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

:lol: :lol: Go to bed, you workaholic! It can wait :)
MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:37 am I'll try to add some more debug (later today, it's 01:34!), it read 59 of the 64 lines of the image.

I have changing the text colour pretty well working.

Mike
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
Working with a range of micro-SD cards- will post results shortly.
Regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Good Morning Mike!
I have managed to get the following:
1GB micro-SD (used) - removed all files, did a quick format, copied existing 2 folders of models & images from a saved image of my QX7 Esrky9x micro-SD
4GB micro-SD (removed from my working 9XRPro) - removed all files, copied existing 2 folders of models & images from a saved image of my QX7 Esrky9x micro-SD
16GB micro-SD (bought new today) - copied existing 2 folders of models & images from a saved image of my QX7 Esrky9x micro-SD
Sorry - could not get an 8GB micro-SD today.

With any of these three cards installed in the radio, it will not start. The sequence is:
1. Red LED comes on, STARTING flashes on the screen, then it goes black
2. Pressing Power On/Off three times, the red LED changes to Purple first, then Blue, then the LED goes off completely.
3. The screen stays black.
4. Put back in my PC, it appears that a new folder has been created on each card - RADIO folder added and in it are 3 files: Mnames.bin, Model01A.bin, radio.bin (these seem like FrOS files)
5. Nothing appears to have been changed in the Images or the Models folder (but, there are a lot of files in the Models folder - I didn't check each one).
6. The other folders of ErSky9x were not created automatically, as you expected that they should, and I could not get the radio working.

I then did a Quick Format of each SD card and copied the entire image of my X12S ErSky9x micro-SD (that which we have been using during this debug session) to each card.

So, now I have 1GB, 4GB, 16GB and 32GB with identical contents - I will refer to these cards by their size, from now, when appropriate.

1GB:
1. SD Card shows as present but shows Cluster Size as 16 (not ideal) - my fault at reformat time - will go back and re-specify 32 in a new format, if possible - will continue as -is for now.
2. Re-instated image file, scrolled wheel until thumb sore, no video restart.
3. Power-cycled radio manually, image is missing on return
4. DEBUG page info is:
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001

4GB:
1. SD Card shows Cluster Size 32
2. Re-instated image file, scrolled wheel until thumb sore, got almost immediate video restart, image now missing.
3. BOOT REASON - WATCHDOG, data are:
01E2 020B 01ED
3. SD CARD STAT says Card Present but Cluster Size '0'
4. DEBUG page info is:
0001 0002 0009 0000 0024 001C
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001

16GB:
4. DEBUG page info is:
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001

32GB (the original SD I have been using so far, unchanged since earlier today):
2. Re-instated image file, scrolled wheel until thumb sore, got almost immediate video restart, image now missing.
3. BOOT REASON - WATCHDOG, data are:
01E2 020B 01ED
3. SD CARD STAT says Card Present but Cluster Size '0'
4. DEBUG page info is:
0001 0002 0009 0000 0004 003C
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001

Reformatted 1GB SD to Cluster Size 32:
1. SD Card Cluster Size as 32
4. Cluster Size is 32
5. DEBUG page info is:
0001 0002 0009 0000 0002 003E
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001

Over to you, Mike.
Regards,
ozphoenix

MikeB wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:32 am If you have a "spare", blank SD card, could you try that, with just the model images on it. The radio and model file system should get created automatically, and it would be a useful test to see if the backlight default is set correctly.

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Thank you for this testing.
One more test I can think of please.
Power the radio on in bootloader mode, then press EXIT (PgDn) long to restart. Does the model image now appear?

Mike

Edit: I may have the default brightness wrong, hence the black screen when you tried with "blank" SD cards. The "fiddle" to set the brightness may have worked!
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Good Morning, Mike,

Power the radio on in bootloader mode, then press EXIT (PgDn) long to restart. Does the model image now appear?

Tried this - no, the model image (which was present before I powered the radio off) is missing once the radio starts, using this method.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:53 am Thank you for this testing.
One more test I can think of please.

Mike

Edit: I may have the default brightness wrong, hence the black screen when you tried with "blank" SD cards. The "fiddle" to set the brightness may have worked!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

When I had the cards with only the two folders on them, I tried using the button-press sequence you gave me to adjust the brightness (from a few days ago) - it did not work. I then checked the sequence again once I had managed to replace the card with a fully-loaded set of files and the sequence I used is still correct for today's latest version, but the screen was not going brighter - there were beeps, but no improvement in brightness.

It was after I had already tried this 'fiddle' and failed that I decided to load all of the folders, instead of just the two (Models and Images).
Last edited by ozphoenix on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
Just FYI and as a reminder re: lost model image - moving around between models (changing to another model and going back to the first model) doesn't seem to lose the image - it's just disappearing across a power-cycle, it seems.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I did have the default brightness set to 0% rather than 100%, I just tested it, so I have now fixed that.
Do you have a "long" voice welcome message? I'm wondering if there is a problem with the voice task accessing the SD card at the same time as loading the model image. Could you try renaming "WELCOME.wav" to something else to stop it playing?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

I have the flash screen and flash name and Welcome type turned off at the moment.
But, when I do have either of them turned on, I do not have any custom stuff, just what comes with the Ersky9x default.
MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am I did have the default brightness set to 0% rather than 100%, I just tested it, so I have now fixed that.
Do you have a "long" voice welcome message? I'm wondering if there is a problem with the voice task accessing the SD card at the same time as loading the model image. Could you try renaming "WELCOME.wav" to something else to stop it playing?

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just posted a new test version with settable text colour and a controlled task schedule during model image loading.
Try enabling the splash screen, it delays the loading of the model image. I had a problem with background script loading too early and failing.
Or power on with a switch or throttle warning active, wait a few seconds, then clear the warning.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
I just turned the Splash Screen and the Splash Name and the Welcome Type to System and it appears that the image remains across the power-cycle!

Give me 5 minutes to do some more testing and I will confirm that, to be sure, and will try to determine which one is related to the disappearing image file.
ozphoenix wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:48 am I have the flash screen and flash name and Welcome type turned off at the moment.
But, when I do have either of them turned on, I do not have any custom stuff, just what comes with the Ersky9x default.
MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am I did have the default brightness set to 0% rather than 100%, I just tested it, so I have now fixed that.

Mike
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

SPLASH SCREEN TICK BOX!

If you remove the splash screen, the model image disappears on power-cycle!

checked and confirmed.

somehow connected to the Splash Screen.

regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:53 am Mike,
I just turned the Splash Screen and the Splash Name and the Welcome Type to System and it appears that the image remains across the power-cycle!

Give me 5 minutes to do some more testing and I will confirm that, to be sure, and will try to determine which one is related to the disappearing image file.
ozphoenix wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:48 am I have the flash screen and flash name and Welcome type turned off at the moment.

Mike
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

When I told you that I had those options turned off, it triggered a thought that made me wonder how long ago since I had them turned on! And, then wondered what happened if I turned them back on :(

If you look at where the code has been placed to put the image in place, maybe it's inside the 'space' of the splash screen code, when it should not be there? Not a programmer, just thinking out loud.
ozphoenix wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:55 am Mike,

SPLASH SCREEN TICK BOX!

If you remove the splash screen, the model image disappears on power-cycle!

checked and confirmed.

somehow connected to the Splash Screen.

regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:53 am Mike,

ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Doesn't solve the question of the 'scrolling' reset, but explains one thing which has been obscuring the other, I think.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I assume you haven't tried the test version I posted recently.
I'll test with my splash screen off.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Didn't see that there was one and have put things away for the evening - give me five minutes to go back to my office room and do a quick check for you.
MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:26 pm I assume you haven't tried the test version I posted recently.
I'll test with my splash screen off.

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Don't worry, I've just disabled my splash screen and can re-produce the image failing to load at power up, so I have something I can investigate.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Got it loaded.
Text colour change looks good.
Caused a 'scrolling' restart - when it came back, the model image was gone again - and, my Splash Screen Box was ticked :(

(But, after I gathered the data below here, I re-established the image file, did a manual power-cycle and the image stayed. So, a video restart is losing it even if the Splash Screen Box is ticked).

BOOT REASON=WATCHDOG
01E0 020B 01ED

SD CARD STAT Cluster Size '0'

DEBUG Page:
0001 0002 0009 0000 003f 0001
2000 4588 0001
2000 4588 0001

Glad you can now replicate something I have been seeing :)
Maybe this debug info helps you further :)

I'll look for any progress when I start again in the morning here :)

Thanks, Mike!
MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:37 pm Don't worry, I've just disabled my splash screen and can re-produce the image failing to load at power up, so I have something I can investigate.

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I have the fix for the model image loading at power on, test version posted with this in. The voice task "mounted" the SD card after it was already "mounted" and in use (to load the model image).

I can't make the scrolling of a file list reboot, although I can see some flickers on the display.
I may need to re-write some of that code for the Horus. It has much more RAM available to store the list, currently I only have 8 names stored in memory so the SD card needs a lot of accesses for a long list, particularly as it needs to be read from the beginning every time it needs reading.

I may have a problem, in general, as I think the backlight is failing, it is slow to turn on, and recently, after being on for a while, starts flickering off. I may have to dig out the display from early prototyping and replace the one in the radio.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've also just posted a second test version. On this one, I've limited the rate at which you are able to scroll through a file list. This seems to have suppressed the screen flickers, and may stop the reboot as well.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Good Morning Mike,
I've loaded the latest (19:14) version - yes, the image now persists across both a power-cycle and a restart. Yes, I still get the restart(!!), but the cursor flicker at the bottom of the screen seems less or gone. The reduction in the scrolling rate is not apparent - it doesn't seem to have affected the visual presentation - but, I still got a restart within 2 seconds or less (got the usual BOOT REASON data).
SD CARD STAT Cluster Size '0' (!)
DEBUG data:
0001 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
2000 4588 0001
0000 0000 0000

Slightly different data this time - relevant??

On a less important note, I'm still trying to think about what would be useful in the large, unused, black/blank area to the left of the model image on the main screen.

I have a few things to go out to do early this morning, our time, but will get back to testing mid-morning, if possible. I'll do a bit of poking around to try to find more details of what scenario can reduce or eliminate the restarts (shorter lists, slower scrolling, whatever) - something that might lead to something like the 'trigger words' about the image file and the splash screen, that you used then got me thinking, might help lead us somewhere - you never know.

Thanks for your persistence and focus.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm I've also just posted a second test version. On this one, I've limited the rate at which you are able to scroll through a file list. This seems to have suppressed the screen flickers, and may stop the reboot as well.

Mike
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
Back from my morning errands, can do a little more testing of things, when required today.

Just FYI - for whatever reason, this latest (19:14) version consistently shows my Cluster Size as '0', not '32', no matter what state the radio is in - newly started, restarted, re-flashed (again) to this version - whatever state - Cluster Size '0'.

Further, and FWIW, it does not seem to matter at what speed I scroll the wheel - I get a restart whether fast scrolling or slow.

Something that might be of interest to you, if only to confirm your thinking - you mentioned 8 file names in memory at one time - I removed all but 8 audio files from the Sound/Modelnames folder and put them in a HOLDAUDIO folder on the SD card. I then scrolled the Model Name audio file selection list on the Model Setup menu - after about 5 seconds, I got video 'snow', then a restart about 4-5 seconds later. If there were only 8 names already in memory, are you also going back to the SD card to get more? I reduced the list length to 4 files and did not seem to get a restart, even after 20 seconds of continued scrolling up and down. Then, my radio battery dropped too low and I had to put it back on the charger. Just fyi.

regards,
ozphoenix

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”