ERSKY9X Coding

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
jhsa

Re: ERSKY9X Coding

Post by jhsa »

Some cool features in there. Thanks a lot Mike..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
Using r222d3 - is there anything special about the field/label 'Cus5' on the QX7 for r222d3? On my 9XRPro, if I try to select it from a list (say, Telemetry or Scaler) it appears in the list where it should be and is set to the place I am trying to use it (in r222d3). On my QX7 using r222d3, there is a blank field in the list between Cus4 and Cus6. If you selected on the blank field, it returns a blank field to the place where you are trying to put Cus5. It's not missing in r222d2 in QX7 or r222d3 on 9XRPro, but is missing in r222d3 on QX7.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Can you please update Github also ?

Reinhard
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Looks like there may be something in the custom name for Cus5. Go to the Telemetry|Sensors menu and edit the name for Cus5 and make sure it contains only space characters, actually overtype whatever is there with spaces.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

That fixed it, thanks.
Strangely enough, Cu5 was the only one displaying 'blank' (or anything other than the correct 'Cusx' label) but when I went to the Telemetry|Sensors screen, all of the labels had rubbish (special characters) in them - Cu5 had what appeared to be spaces -- but Cus5 was the only one messing up on other screens. Anyway, fixed now and I will know what to look out for when I load up my other models into the QX7.
regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:39 pm Looks like there may be something in the custom name for Cus5. Go to the Telemetry|Sensors menu and edit the name for Cus5 and make sure it contains only space characters, actually overtype whatever is there with spaces.

Mike

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, in mix edit, when editing a stick as source, we can't get the the sources list by pressing the menu button. I remember you commenting this in the past. Perhaps it there is a reason it can't be done like with other sources?
You have also implemented the double click function, perhaps it could be used here?

Thanks

João

EDIT: When editing with the encoder, long press of the encoder button exits to the previous menu. This is nice,
What about implementing an extra long press, that would exit to the main screen.
Or make use of the double click, but in this case if the user clicked twice while editing it would send him/her out to the main screen. In this case, not good. An extra long press would be better in my opinion :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Guys, in case you haven't noticed yet, if you are a 9x or 9XR-PRO user, there is a cool feature in Ersky9x that allow ls you to have a better overview of the highlighted channel in the mixer menu. You can activate it in "Radio Setup/General" as shown in the photo. Try it. It divides the screen in two halves, and displays most of the info that otherwise would be hidden. Check it out.

Ersky9x has many hidden beauties. :)

Thanks Mike.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jhsa wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:23 am Mike, in mix edit, when editing a stick as source, we can't get the the sources list by pressing the menu button.
I'll give it some thought, currently a long press of MENU takes you to the expo/DR menu for the sticks.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think a short press of MENU or the encoder button could take you to the sources list. Normally this would change to field editing mode, necessary if you have a radio like the QX7 the only has an encoder. However, in this case, you want to edit the field so going to the sources list makes sense. A LONG MENU (or encoder button) press still takes a gimbal source to the expo/DR menu.

You just lose the ability to step through the sources using the encoder, but the sources list gives the same function anyway.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, idea here, and I think it makes sense and complies with the current way clicking works.
When already in the mix edit menu and source highlighted, what about if a single click would take you to the source list, a long press would exit to the previous menu like it does everywhere else, and use double click to access the expo / DR screen for the selected source. I think this is consistent to the way editing works everywhere else in Ersky9x, apart of course from where it could be improved as it is the case with the mix sources..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Currently, with the way all the buttons are handled, double click is only really useful if a single click doesn't do anything significant as the first click and release is taken as a single click before the second click happens. Doing anything else would be a major re-write of the whole menu system, and I'm not even sure single, long and double presses could be distinguished properly.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I assumed double click, as you implemented could be used everywhere :)
That would be a good way of dealing with the source editing.. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think you will find that double click will always have the problem that the first click and release is a single click, so if that does something, the second click as a double click may not be useable. Look in windows, the first click of a double click often selects something, then the second click performs another action.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep doesn't work, if you wanted to allow a double-click that doesn't cause the single click action you'd have to add a delay to a single click so it doesn't do its thing before some time "just in case there was a 2nd click behind it". It would render everything painfully slow and annoying.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As Mike says:
"The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!"
;) ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

My 'suspect' XJT module has gone off to FrSky in China for warranty repair/replacement - hope they find something concrete and actually fix it.

Separate of that, while casually looking around for a fairly new X10S at a good price, through a funny set of circumstances I managed to pick up an almost-new X12S for a bargain low price, so it looks like I'll be downloading the X12d version, after all :D

Haven't decided what to do with the 9XRPro, once the XJT is returned, but it's still a great radio. I have the QX7 as a backup radio and for my young daughter to use, but I like the form and fit of the 9XRPro - maybe I need a backup for my backup :D
MikeB wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 pm I have a fully functioning version of ersky9x for the X12. The X12 I have is a prototype that has some hardware differences to the production version, but the firmware has a means to detect the type of hardware and adjust to suit. I had someone with a production version testing everything. I called the firmware X12d as that was what the X12 was called early on, but it is the firmware for the X12S.
Currently, as I don't have a X10 or X10S, I haven't ported ersky9x to the X10. For most transmitters, I get radios from FrSky, but I wasn't included in the X10 development!

Mike
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
When you have time, could you 'ping' your FrSky contact for some resolution on the MLVSS bug, please? I'd like to remove the unneeded current sensor from my B17, to get some weight out. Edit: and free up some space in an already crowded battery bay :(
Thanks and regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,
My X12S has arrived and I'd like to remove the FrOS from it and install Ersky9X. I found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10402 for installing onto a new QX7, but nothing specifically for the X12S.

While I assume most things will be similar and I have previously done a conversion from OpenTx to Ersky9x on my QX7, is there a specific set of instructions or warnings from you (or, forum thread) for converting the X12S from FrOS to Ersky9x?

TIA,
ozphoenix
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 pm I have a fully functioning version of ersky9x for the X12. The X12 I have is a prototype that has some hardware differences to the production version, but the firmware has a means to detect the type of hardware and adjust to suit. I had someone with a production version testing everything. I called the firmware X12d as that was what the X12 was called early on, but it is the firmware for the X12S.
Currently, as I don't have a X10 or X10S, I haven't ported ersky9x to the X10. For most transmitters, I get radios from FrSky, but I wasn't included in the X10 development!

Mike
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm fairly certain the FrOS doesn't include a bootloader like we have on the 'PRO and Taranis.
To flash ersky9x (or openTx) you have to use the DFU bootloader in the processor. Once you have done this the first time, you will then have the bootloader accessed by holding the two horizontal trims inwards at power on.
You may also use the DFU bootlaoder to read the FrOS firmware in case you wish to restore it.

You will need to install Zadig to get the correct driver on your PC (Windows), and also install DFU-Util to be able to flash the firmware.
Information on running Zadig is here: http://open-txu.org/home/undergraduate- ... ing-zadig/.
The DFU-Util firmware is available from here: http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/.

With these installed, I execute, in a command window:
dfu-util-static -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D x12d_rom.bin
to flash the firmware.

To read the existing firmware, this should work (choose something for the "filename"):
dfu-util-static -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -U filename.bin

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Re: X12S with Ersky9X -- ok, all understood - I need to get a new SD card this morning and it's wet and unpleasant here today, so I guess I'll have time later (our time) to go through this process.
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,
Re: X12S with Ersky9x r222d3
Well, one step forward but two steps back (kind of).

1. I got a new SD, formatted it, downloaded Zadig and DFU, got the STM32 BOOTLOADER driver working.

2. See the attached .pdf file for a copy of my PC screen during the following:
a. Ran dfu (as below) to read the FrOS firmware and saved it on my PC
b. Ran dfu to flash the firmware

3. Power-cycle radio and check that Bootloader works (two trims in on power-up) and shows
Bootloader V3.1 Ready
Flash Firmware
Run App

5. After normal power-cycle, red LED goes on, top half of screen flashes white, word
STARTING
appears, then whole screen goes black and nothing else happens. Waited 30 secs - nothing.

6. Press and hold power button for 4-5 secs, red LED goes to purple, but nothing happens. MDL and RTN buttons get (different) beeps, nothing else works, screen is still black.

7. Press and hold power button for 4-5 seconds and release – purple LED goes to red for 4-5 seconds, then black (power off).

8. Restarted radio in Bootloader mode, connected USB, started eepskye (latest test version), wrote firmware (again) to radio using eepskye. Reported as completed successfully.

9. Restarted radio, same result as above -- STARTING appears, then screen goes black, same buttons beeped, but otherwise nothing.

10. Just as an exercise, I reconnected radio with power off, used DFU (as shown for Ersky9x install, above) to try to re-install the FrOS firmware I copied in the first steps - when radio was restarted, red LED appeared and radio froze and could not be powered off at all. Opened the case (had to swap sticks from Mode 1 to Mode 2 anyway, so did that), removed battery lead. re-assembled radio. I put FrOs aside, since I don't really intend to use it.

11. In case I had missed some folders and files, I re-flashed the radio using DFU and the x12s22d3.bin file (as above), then I took an existing SD card from my QX7 (Ersky9xr222d3) and put a copy of the X12d_r222d3.bin file in the FIRMWARE folder, then rebooted the radio with this SD card installed. The STARTING word appeared in a white top half of the screen, then the purple LED came on, the screen went fully black, and then (this time!) I got a voice message … 'Welcome to Ersky9x'! Nothing else but the voice -- the MDL and RTN buttons beeped until I pressed the SYS button, which beeped once (only) then no buttons would beep.

So, my first several attempts at loading Ersky9X on the X12S mostly failed.

NOW - I am not a follower of OpenTx and have never used it, nor installed it, nor learned it - just looked at it on other people's radios. But, I decided to download the latest version as well as the latest version of OpenTX Companion, just to see what would happen with this X12S radio.

I took a fresh SD card, put the radio in Bootloader mode, started Companion and configured it for X12S, unzipped the OpenTX v2.2.3 folders and files to the SD card in the radio, wrote the firmware to the radio with Companion and re-booted the radio. After the power-cycle, it started immediately and, after configuring for switch tests and calibrating the sticks and pots, I was able to create a full Mode 2 model.

What I'm saying it that I believe that the radio hardware is working (OpenTX thinks it is, anyway), I have used a(nother) known good installation of Ersky9x and all its folders (and updated with the correct version of the .bin file) but the radio screen does not work and I'm not sure what else is not working because I cannot see it.

Any suggestions or next steps for getting Ersky9X past this first hurdle would be appreciated.

Regards,
ozphoenix

MikeB wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:27 pm I'm fairly certain the FrOS doesn't include a bootloader like we have on the 'PRO and Taranis.
To flash ersky9x (or openTx) you have to use the DFU bootloader in the processor. Once you have done this the first time, you will then have the bootloader accessed by holding the two horizontal trims inwards at power on.
You may also use the DFU bootlaoder to read the FrOS firmware in case you wish to restore it.

You will need to install Zadig to get the correct driver on your PC (Windows), and also install DFU-Util to be able to flash the firmware.
Information on running Zadig is here: http://open-txu.org/home/undergraduate- ... ing-zadig/.
The DFU-Util firmware is available from here: http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/.

With these installed, I execute, in a command window:
dfu-util-static -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D x12d_rom.bin
to flash the firmware.

To read the existing firmware, this should work (choose something for the "filename"):
dfu-util-static -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -U filename.bin

Mike
Attachments
First instal Ersky9x to X12s.pdf
(45.62 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'l run some tests later today, maybe there is a problem initialising some files on the SD card (the X12 doesn't have any EEPROM, everything is stored on the SD card), I'll try with a blank SD card.
Since the bootloader is working and displaying, most things are working OK.
With ersky9x, SYS, TELE, MDL, RTN work as left, right up and down buttons, PgUp is MENU and PgDn is EXIT.

You could try the following:
Power on to get the voice message.
Press SYS (left) long (get to radio setup menu).
Press PgUp (menu) short (get to display menu).
Press RTN (down) short (get to brightness setting).
Press and hold TELE (right) for 10 seconds (increases backlight brightness to 100%).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,
That got it! Using my QX7 SD card for folder structure and dfu to re-flash, I now have the brightness up, screen displaying - but, the image is very small and compressed and produces the normal Ersky9x info in the top half of the screen - the bottom half is black except for a box in the upper right corner of the lower half of the screen (below the normal screen info) which says 'No Image', plus a bottom line which gives the time, the volume level and some digits (74.74 but sometimes 74.73). EDIT: Ah, these numbers are CPU Idle%

I'll look around a bit ad see if anything spreads the screen out for me.

Thanks for the tip - it worked! Now, to improve :)
regards,
Peter M.

MikeB wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 am I'l run some tests later today, maybe there is a problem initialising some files on the SD card (the X12 doesn't have any EEPROM, everything is stored on the SD card), I'll try with a blank SD card.
Since the bootloader is working and displaying, most things are working OK.
With ersky9x, SYS, TELE, MDL, RTN work as left, right up and down buttons, PgUp is MENU and PgDn is EXIT.

You could try the following:
Power on to get the voice message.
Press SYS (left) long (get to radio setup menu).
Press PgUp (menu) short (get to display menu).
Press RTN (down) short (get to brightness setting).
Press and hold TELE (right) for 10 seconds (increases backlight brightness to 100%).

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I'll change the default brightness to 100% for the Horus (done in the source code ready for the next build).
I need more time to make use of the larger display (plus more ideas of what to put there!).
You might try the "d4" test version I posted very recently, I've added some more things that do make use of more of the display.
For a model image, create an "IMAGES" directory on the SD card. Then you may put pictures of your model(s) in there. They need to be in windows .BMP format, 128 pixels wide by 64 pixels high in 24 bit colour mode.
Then in the MODEL|GENERAL menu, near the bottom you have an option to choose the image file you wish to have displayed.

I've still to get eepskye to handle the data that is on the SD card rather than in EEPROM.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,

Ok, thanks for this feedback - have now downloaded d4 - I have to be out and about for a few hours this morning, so will not get to try it until later today (our time), but I'll do that and post feedback.

Also, given that I don't see many people commenting on X12S in this thread yet, I'm happy to make some suggestions of what I would like to see, but I do understand that my own opinions (and/or needs) regarding X12S and displays might not be consistent with other (non-X12S) users' needs and opinions. Just trying to help make Ersky9X even better :)

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:55 pm OK, I'll change the default brightness to 100% for the Horus (done in the source code ready for the next build).
I need more time to make use of the larger display (plus more ideas of what to put there!).
You might try the "d4" test version I posted very recently, I've added some more things that do make use of more of the display.
For a model image, create an "IMAGES" directory on the SD card. Then you may put pictures of your model(s) in there. They need to be in windows .BMP format, 128 pixels wide by 64 pixels high in 24 bit colour mode.
Then in the MODEL|GENERAL menu, near the bottom you have an option to choose the image file you wish to have displayed.

I've still to get eepskye to handle the data that is on the SD card rather than in EEPROM.

Mike
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ozphoenix wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:45 pm Just trying to help make Ersky9X even better :)
Yeah, I know the feeling :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm happy to hear what you would like to see. I have extended the area so there are 12 lines of text available, and some menus are now using all 12.
The display is 480 pixels wide. I'm wondering if the area above the status line, where the model image is currently, could be divided into 4 areas (each 120 wide by 64 high), and then have some options as to what each is used for, the model image being one option. This would require the image to become slightly less wide (120 instead of 128 pixels).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
Just some early feedback on r222d4 for X12S (not wish list enhancements, just feedback):
1. On the Model Setup, General screen - you only show 7 switches, the X12S has 8
2. On the Model Setup, General screen - for switch test positions (in the rectangular box) most of the switch positions 'sense' ok when I press PgDn (the display correctly changes to whatever position I have the switch set to), but some switch sensing seems to be wrong -- I set the 'F' switch (usually Throttle Hold) as back (towards the pilot) and press PgDn, the arrow shows as forward (away from the pilot) -- I move the switch away from the pilot (Throttle enabled) and the arrow reverses shows as back (towards the pilot).
3. Regardless of how I set the arrow in the rectangular box and/or the Default Switch letter highlight in the line above (and, yes, Sw Warning is selected), I do not get a warning of any type (voice or display) if the Throttle Sw ('F') is forward or backward (either) at Power Up.
4. If I set S1 (or whatever I set) as the sound volume adjust - the setting is ignored (though the 'fuel gauge' on the screen shows movement of whatever I choose) and sometimes I hear sound, sometimes not - seems like the treatment is inconsistent. Specifically, the Welcome announce (set as System) is sometimes heard, sometimes, not. When it is heard, it's usually at full volume, but not always and I cannot yet find a pattern (for the various pot choices).
5. Regardless of the sound setting, there seems to be a subtle 'hissing' sound coming out of the speaker at all times. The frequency of the hiss changes to a slightly lower frequency when the radio switches from the Welcome Flash Screen to the first Main screen. This was not present with OpenTX or FrOS, I think, but I'll recheck that later today.
6. On the Model Setup screen, moving the words MODEL SETUP to the top of the screen (compared to 9XRPro location as first item on left) has left a blank entry on the first item of the left hand column - wonder what you could put there that's relevant?

Have to go do other things now - more feedback later.
Thanks and regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
Just a couple of updates.
Regarding item 5, above - I re-flashed to OpenTX and rebooted - there is no hiss coming from the speakers when using OpenTX. Something in Ersky9x, quite possibly related to the screen updates, is causing a static/hiss from the speakers.
Also, on one occasion today, the screen seemed to lose retrace control while idle on a menu screen in Ersky9X -- streaky black and white 'snow lines' (like the old black and white TV snow lines) appeared on the screen and would not stop, no matter which screen I moved to, until I power-cycled the radio - they were gone when it re-started. This does not appear to be happening when left idle in OpenTx-mode.
regards,
ozphoenix

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”