ERSKY9X Coding

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
kaos

Re: ERSKY9X Coding

Post by kaos »

Ok, I will do that when I get home, in the office now.
what should I look for on the CAL numbers or just report the numbers back to you?

Could the AR9X nonrs232 com2 has any effect on this phenomenon? Because I tried the same DJT and rx(D4R-II) at the same time with er9x/sky9x with older version FW and have no issue. and Tedbmoss used his AR9X with DJT without any issue on servo response, but he is using an inverter with telemetry.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you have the telemetry wired on your DJT, and if so, how is it wired?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kaos

Post by kaos »

that should have no effect on this. I wired the tx/rx pin to the back of the module attaching to two metal pads before (in the tx I have spring loaded pins to receive tx/rx signal from telemetry in stock board or skyboard. with tx of no mod, those two pads is just sitting there at the bottom of the module bay not touched. see this: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=1888&p=27823&hilit ... ate#p27793
To be used on AR9X I add another wire from tx to pin5 in the module nothing else. On AR9x, the pin 5 is wired directly to the nonrs232 pad's rx. I did put a switch (SPDT?) so I can choose to direct the pin 5 to either nonrs232 pin or the rs232 pin of com2, so in the future if the FW can output inverted signal (my understanding is you are working on that) I can test it with a flip of the switch. I do get telemetry signal on AR9X when directed to nonrs232 pad. Just the servo and ESC went crazy.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The default telemetry Tx signal from a DJT is at RS232 levels (Maxim chip driver). Are you using this signal?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

Mike: just got home. to clarify everything, I redid the tests as follows (use the same DJT and D4R-II):

DJT on my skyboard Tx with older version FW(v2788 r218), no issue, binds, telemetry, servo/ESC normal. protocol: ppm tx/rx wired through pin/pad directly to com1

Multi module on AR9X (218i test FW): protocol: Multi, Frsky
direct pin 5 to com2-nonrs232 pad rx with my switch, binds well and servo/ESC normal, there is telemetry but rssi low warning came up right away and telemetry data jumping up and down. I asked Midelic, his response is something is wrong, at least the rssi and tssi should be ok. The frame is normal link frame.The user frames are more complicated because it is using bytes from consecutive RF telemetry frames. I think the SBUS decoder from Ersky9X is not working properly. but no definitive conclusion. I think he does not have a AR9X board.

DJT on AR9X (218i test FW): binds fine. telemetry now directed to default com1 (which should have rs232 converter built in) as described on AR9X site, one wire from pin 5 to a small pad to the right of a ground plate as in the pic.
AR9X  telemetry mod.PNG
Only I have a switch to switch from com2 nonr232 to com1.
When connect Tx and rx normally, it seems to take longer time to connect (rx green light comes on slower than normal) and has telemetry but servo goes crazy and ESC won't initialize completely, if I leave the connection long enough, the motor will go in full throttle have to disconnect battery. (Don't worry, my test set up always uses a stand alone 70 mm EDF engine made of EPO foam with thrust vectoring controlled by two servos and against a heavyblock in front of the engine, it is not going any where, while I can test servo and throttle/ESC function and rpm sensor at the same time. ;) )

Hope this will help you to sort out what is going on with the situation.
Do you still want me do the trainer port thing?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, check with the trainer port, this confirms the PPM signal out is working.
Note: If you connect the DJT telemetry signal to the COM2 non-inverted place, you will very likely damage the processor on the aR9X board.
Can you try the DJT with the telemetry signal completely disconnected?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

DJT telemetry is connected to com1. Multi telemetry is to com2 nonrs232.
I will check the trainer and DJT without telemetry.
If ppm is not working, Multi should not work either, but Multi is working fine, only telemetry is not right.

edit: Just ran a quick test before I left for work by plug in a Flysky module running ppm protocol, works perfectly. Will do the test you said later today.
looks like it has something to do with telemetry.
edit2: did a really quick test, with Flsky module AETR, AER are working perfectly, but when servo attached to ch3 T, it is not working properly.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is this a new 9X or has the DJT worked in it before you updated it with the AR9X?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

edit:
It is a brand new T9x and brand new AR9X. I got this tx just for the aR9x. I was using the Tx with previous version of ersky9x without any problem. Only this is the 1st time I used DJT and new r218i with it.
the quick test I did earlier before I left home with Flysky module is even more puzzling (to me), AER all worked well, except ch3 throttle. :? ch3 is also the same ch that DJT could not initialize the ESC (that is with D4RII rx , not flysky rx though). I will run another test when I get home to swap T and R or other ch to see if there is anything noticeable. and flash back with previous version to check on the Flysky module to see if the ch3 still not working right.
I had used Flysky module with this tx using previous version of FW flying without any problem either. That is why this thing very puzzling to me too. Everything seems working perfectly till we have the new version of FW and new version of Multi all come out at the same time. It is possible the tx also start malfunctioning at the same time. I still can use the Multi to fly yesterday. Flysky I only did some quick check when Multi is not binding properly and back and forth to see where went wrong on binding procedure. It is just a puzzle. :?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If it is a Turnigy 9X, did you remove the excess plastic around the module pins? It stops the DJT plugging in properly, but the original Flysky module fits OK.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

Yes, I did. ;) Found that out right away when I 1st put that DJT in there. I did left about 1 mm not fully removed but the module is fully seated flush with module bay, won't go any further. I will remove all of it tonight.
Also, I did some test during lunch break (sorry can't eat well when there is a bug in my head :mrgreen: ). scratch the Flysky thing. It is the connector from back plate to front is not fully seated, dislodged during handling. after repluging ,the ppm on Flysky is working fully on all 8ch without issue. sorry about that. so we know ppm is working. But I did plug the DJT right back in after Flysky is functioning fully. still get the same ESC/servo issue with telemetry data coming through com1.
I will trim that last 1 mm off the base in module bay tonight and retest it. running out of lunch time. ;) May be the last mm made the difference albeit the module is flush with the tx bay.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Well, I wish I could say, ah ha, that stupid plastic. But no, I removed all the plastics around the pins, I even removed a little of the plastic riser for the back plate to move the pins just a hair out of the bay. Nope, either.
I figure I will set up a model so both Flysky and DJT both can run ppm using the same model for each ch and test it. plug in Flysky, works. plug in DJT servo starts to jump right away and ESC won't initialize properly but getting telemetry without issue and the telemetry is connected to com1 on AR9X via pin 5 as pictured above.
Ok, may be my DJT has an issue, immediately plug DJT to my Sky9x Tx, everything works. I repeated this several times.
If the ppm wire/pin has a bad contact, then Flysky should have problem too, but no, Flysky works fine. If my DJT has a problem then put it on Sky9x should have a problem too, but no, it works as it should. Somewhere in the Tx either AR9X, wires, FW is doing some thing that only shows up with DJT plugged in.
I am running out of ideas now. :(

Mike: I also disconnected the telemetry connection from DJT to any of the com port on AR9X, so there is no telemetry but servo still, jumping and ESC not initialized.

Is it possible that extra wires in the tx MAY cause a 'resonance' with ppm signal, cause the servo jumping is a very regular rhythm. I do have a lot of extra wires to plug and unplug for switching to the Joystick control. But when I did these test, no Joystick is involved all stock switches pots. But again, that 'resonance' does not happen with other module I tried on this Tx. DJT, Flysky, two Multi modules, one with A7105, one with cc2500.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you tried creating a new model?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

Mike:
I think we are getting something here. I set up a brand new model, and there is no issue with DJT binding and servo/ESC.
But the other model still have the same problem. Now I remember these models are transferred from my skyboard Tx with eepskye r419.
Maybe the eeprom conversion is the problem. But I check every programming/mixes I can't tell any thing from the Tx. Looks like to use r218i via eepskye eeprom conversion is the issue.
attached is the eeprom file. look at these 3 models:
33 Test oXs
34 test frsky
35 ppm test

33, 34 both have the servo jumping/ESC issue and both are converted from previous eeprom with some modification in programming in the model only on Tx.
35 is a brand new model set up via the Tx and it has no issue with DJT binding or servo /ESC once it is bind. but it take longer to connect with rx after binding is done comparing to when using the same DJT in my sky9x board.
Attachments
AR9X eeprom.txt
(512 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just edit the number of channels field. It is set to a silly value (-128). This may be left from using the MULTI protocol on that model slot.
There is code that is supposed to correct this, but it is being defeated because the EEPROM value needs to be defined as a signed value, not unsigned. So that the default number of channels is 8, a value of 0 represents 8, -1 represents 6 and -2 represents 4.
To display the number of channels, the firmware takes this number (default 0), adds 4 (defautl), then multiplies by 2 (default 8).
Unfortunately, the -128 is transferred to an unsigned, 8-bit value (=+128) has 4 added (=+132), then is doubled (would be +264, but as this is in an 8-bit value it is truncated to 264-256 = 8). So it displayes what is expected but is wrong internally!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, on the radio changing PPM2 StartChan from "Follow" to 1 fixes the twitching and the servos respond to their own channel. Maybe there are some differences between eepskye and the firmware in the radio?

Editing the number of channels DID NOT fix the problem for me. Had to change "follow" to 1.
Or did I somehow misunderstood what you wrote above? ;) It wouldn't surprise me at all if I did.. :)
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Well it fixed it for me, I just changed the number of channels (on the radio) from 8 to 9 and back to 8.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahh, you mean on PPM1.. I changed the number of channels on PPM2 and it didn't work. But changing follow to 1 on PPM2 fixed it..
But it doesn't matter if you already know what the problem is. :)
Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

thank you Mike. At least I now know for sure I am not crazy. :lol:
Yes, I have used both model 33, 34 to test Multi hub protocol and change back to ppm to compare with DJT.
There is no problem with my AR9X and DJT after all. ;)
I guess you will put something in the FW in the future to make it automatic or the Multi side need to do something about it.
Glad the riddle is solved. :)

edit:
Mike, I just did some testing, it seems that it is the "ppm2 start ch" is doing this. As long as I use 'follow', there is the same problem, but if specify a start ch number like 9 and the rest not changed, the DJT will be fine. may be 'follow' should be removed or modified some how. Or the Multi code needs to be changed. If I change other ch number and put 'follow' back, the DJT is doing the crazy thing again.
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

Yes, I avoided using "follow" because I wanted to avoid any problem this might cause,(I used it once to check it) and don't have more than 8 channels anyway. I might have to use 16 channels to check operation though. :D
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I found changing the number of channels on the PPM output (not PPM2) fixed the problem. I can see why changing the PPM2 start channel to something other than follow will help, IF the number of channels has the wrong value after using MULTI.
I'll try to run a few more tests today, but I just changed the number of channels and left PPM2 as follow.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, I didn't even need to change the PPM1 channel number. As soon as I clicked on it, it started working. Even with follow selected on PPM2.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, that works as well. I've located the root cause. If you select MULTI, then set the power to low then the problem is introduced. This is due to MULTI re-using the "number of channels" value for other settings. I have the fix(es) in the source code to prevent this happening. MULTI was first added to er9x, so tried to economise on RAM/EEPROM usage, which is why it re-uses an existing entry.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have a request for the maximum altitude to be available on the telemetry values. Clearly, I could just add this, but others might like the max. or min. of other telemetry values.
I think it would be overkill to add max. and min. for all telemetry values. I don't think many will be used, and some values don't have a meaningful max. or min.
I thinking of adding a few (8?) configurable entries. Each entry will have a telemetry source, and choose either MAX or MIN.
This way, if you want the max. or min. of a telemetry value, you just set it up in one of these, and select it for display.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, I thought the voice alarms did all that? Is it really necessary to set alarms somewhere else?
I think the only alarms that really could be set in the telemetry menu is the RSSI or telemetry lost, which is hardcoded anyway.
João

EDIT: Wait a second, maybe I misunderstood what you said.. Or do you mean create custom telemetry values? like BATT, A1, A1, etc?

If that is the case, I think it is an excellent idea ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
flygear

Post by flygear »

Hi

It's bit late to fallow up here.
feel like I got "there is a problem and now it's fixed".

JK
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hey JK, nice to see you here ;)

Yep, that problem is fixed..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jhsa wrote:EDIT: Wait a second, maybe I misunderstood what you said.. Or do you mean create custom telemetry values? like BATT, A1, A1, etc?
In effect yes, you could end with a new telemetry value that is the maximum altitude.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Good.. Nice one Mike. Min cell voltage is another one that comes to mind. Also I see that you made a start on the new telemetry organised menu. Starts looking good already. At least now we can already edit the custom displays without having to look for them in the rest of the mess :mrgreen:

These new settings could probably go in a sub menu (same telemetry popup in index menu) called for example "Sensors Config", where all the other sensors configuration should also be.. I might have sent you some ideas a while ago? not sure.. :)

Thank you..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaos

Post by kaos »

I hope some one can tell me whch sensor they use to get a accurate ALT. the GPSalt is workable to have max/min.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”