ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
phil

Re: ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

Post by phil »

can it be that the bond has been lost?
no model was bound! It was not possible to re-bind with the existing data! only when I had reinstalled the program erskyTx could I bind again. That means all models
I have to enter it manually, copying memory into it didn't work either.
I suspect the "loss of light" also affected the binding.
greet phil

phil

Post by phil »

Hello Mike, please answer my question about the potential loss of bond. Is that possible?
phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The bind is between the RF module and the receiver, erskyTx, even if incorrect, should have no effect on the bind.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
phil

Post by phil »

Thanks Mike
for the info.
phil
SteveInBrussels

Post by SteveInBrussels »

I feel like an idiot asking this question but I've looked and read and looked here and there and everywhere. If I'm in the wrong place just boot me off but try to point me in the right direction.

I have a Turnigy9X that I upgraded years ago with a Sky9x Rev 3.0 board etc. The firmware is ersky9x-r130 vers v.1467-Mike Date 05/12/2012..... RevB Coproc 0104.

How on Earth to I update it to the latest firmware? I've found much stuff but I believe I need to use what is written in Mutchy's doc "Upgrading Ersky9x to bootloader versions" (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473). However, many of these links don't work anymore, I've found almost all bits and pieces except for the "SAM-BA architecture libraries".

Fact is.... These days do I need all of that? I'm quite baffled what is the best way to go. I don't want to brick my Tx!

THANKS
Ready to learn and ready to help (if I can).

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As long as you have SAM-BA, you cannot "brick" the Tx as there is always a way to erase the flash memory and force the processor to use the built in ROM based bootloader that is used by SAM-BA.
Do you have SAM-BA installed?
If so, use the board type "at91sam3s4-ek".
I can't remember when I first added the bootloader, 2012 is a long time ago!
The latest firmware for the SKY board is called "ersky9xs_rom.bin". I've needed to build a special "small" version as the SKY board has "only" 256K of flash, and all other radios now have at least 512K.

If you can run SAM-BA, we can get the latest firmware flashed, and that will include the bootloader.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
SteveInBrussels

Hey THANKS Mike -- Thanks for it all!!

I now have SAM-BA 2.18 which has a GUI and I quickly found the "at91sam3s4-ek" board. I had previously downloaded the latest version SAM-BA 3.5 with only a CLI and was COMPLETELY different.
I guess I will risk giving it a try... I'll use the version from here: http://www.er9x.com/ which is the 222 version 'erskyTx for SKY board'. The same nice table has "SD Card Contents" so I'll make my card look like that with a few extra voices maybe.

There's also eePskye but I really don't see how that fits in.

I guess that's good?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Should be good.

eepskye is a program that runs on your PC and (using the bootloader) allows you to flash new firmware and read/write radio and model settings. Having read the settings, you may edit them (and simulate them) on the PC.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
SteveInBrussels

Mike, Thanks once more.

I successfully flashed it to R222. I used SAM-BA 2.18. So happy!!

The key trick I missed was to fill-in the connection with “\USBserial\COMx”. Using “COMx” does not work. (Window 10 - Bossa Program Port) After that all was good. It flashed and came up a treat even preserving the models I'd previously programmed. Seems snappier too.

The SAMBA_AR9xARUni.pdf document I found really helped with the detailed procedure -- of course you had told me which processor to use.

I can access two drives now on the Tx one being the SD card. Maintenance and Bootloader Modes come up with the trim switches.

One detail left though: After the Tx boots a warning message appears saying that I should "update the co-processor" (then press another key)-- apparently that was not updated by SAM-BA. Mine is version 104. I tried with the same R222 rom in the Maintenance Mode -- same message. I took the TinyApp.bin file from GitHub but there's nowhere I can find for flash the co-processor. Searching this forum just gave me cryptic leads that I could not apply.

Any advice more than welcome. Thanks.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Quick answer:
Put the TinyApp.bin in the FIRMWARE directory on the SD card.
You need the "Flash Coprocessor" app (Apps at the bottom left on er9x.com), put in in an "APPS" directory on the SD card, then start in bootloader mode and select "Run App", then select the "Flash Coprocessor" app.

I can give more detail later if needed.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
SteveInBrussels

Mike ==> Thanks again. Worked perfectly and first time!!

One detail though: The Flash Coprocessor App" link has a typo "http://www.er9x.com/apps/FlashCoPorc_atmel.app" . After some mild irritation I realised why I was getting the 404 error and just corrected the URL typo in my browser and bingo.

Now for the fun and the real work. Have a great week.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Thanks about the typo, should be correct now.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
SteveInBrussels

Thanks Mike! (My pleasure -- at least I gave someone some micro help).

Much to my great chagrin, STUPIDLY STUPIDLY I very very briefly shorted two pins on the module bay when measuring. A burning smell. Now the radio is dead dead dead. 2.2 volts at the input of the main 5V switching regulator. One component on the board looks cooked but I've no idea what it is.

I seek a schematic. I've PMed SkyNorth -- I think it was he who sold it to me many moons ago. Any thoughts appreciated but heck, you have helped well enough.

This is very painful because I am VERY attached to that radio. Such is life. I really do know better but I was in a hurry. Dammit.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Schematic here: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... tic#p28055, and the first post of that thread has the board layout.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check R35. This is a 0.1 ohm, 0.25W, 1% resistor that senses the current used by the Tx. It may be replaced with a wire, you only lose the current sensing function.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
SteveInBrussels

Hi Mike,

I've just seen your above message. It was exactly that and I'd already fixed it in the way you suggested this afternoon. Thanks indeed. Guess I am not the first clumsy one. Reading the schematic and running along the circuit was easy. If I really need the current sensing function I'll get a new resistor.

That high side current sensing chip was new to me. The current sense does seem rather superfluous though. I am surprised that is there's no over-current protection but hey ho that's the way it is. I am so happy that it is working again. It is also really useful to have the schematic. If there is anything I can do to help or the group you please don't hesitate. I have an unusual profile.

Do I correctly remember that there's a way of buying you a beer (or many)? Let me know. When I am ever back in the UK , I'll struggle to Dorset, and the beers are all on me.

Due to my precocious childhood, I'm almost a digital native. In these times of severe criticism of social media, it is frequently forgotten the good social media, such as this forum, can bring. Much is due to the design of the platform and of course the people who participate.

THANKS AGAIN.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jhsa's posts include a "donate" link, and it is also on the mbtx Github page (https://github.com/MikeBland/mbtx).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hey, I am JHSA :) Under my posts you see the link that can be used to donate to Mike, so he stays motivated to keep developing ErskyTX.. I am joking Mike ;) But it is great to see you more here on the forum :)

Steve, great job recovering your radio. I was reading the posts, and when i got to the post where you say that you shorted the module pins, I went "OH NOOOOOO". :D
But then I have read that you have fixed it.. Relief.. :D
Good job, well done.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
SteveInBrussels

Thanks João,

Thanks! I made a contribution to Mike's beer fund. I have a little time available now so I am very happy to get back into this hobby once more. I built several drones almost 10 years back when the gyro had to be sawn out of a Wii hand controller. After being quite obsessed for a few years I became busy with other things.

I need to become a better pilot though I seem to be good at building. Huge relief to have fixed the Tx.

I decided to get everything up to date and wow, quite a bit has changed. That's good but rather a shock. Always good to learn.
Keep up the good work.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I have built a few Tricopters and Quadcopters a few years ago. I still have to fix my Tricopter. Its first version had helicopter gyros on each arm. And it flew great :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm close to having a BASIC script working for ELRS V2. It is running OK on a X9LiteS, and I can find the Tx module, read all the parameters (21 of them), change settings and do a bind.
I'm still learning about ELRS in general!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted a ELRSv2 script on the "Scripts for ersky9x" thread.
You will need R223 (or later) for it to run.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Scarofly

Post by Scarofly »

Hi Mike,

I tried the script ELRSV2.bas yesterday on a 9XR Pro with a HappyModel ES24TX pro. When selecting "WiFi Uprade" from the script, I get an error message "Script error - Error 111 at line 366 - press any key"

The module is set the crossfire and I upgraded to the latest release of erskytx.

Any clue?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try changing line 9 from:
array byte ParameterBuffer[200]
to:
array byte ParameterBuffer[240]

and at line 366 after:
ParameterBuffer[ParameterBufferIndex] = receiveBuffer[j]
ParameterBufferIndex += 1
add:
if ParameterBufferIndex >238 then ParameterBufferIndex = 238

The only ELRS module I have doesn't send me that option, so I cannot test it.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Scarofly

Post by Scarofly »

Mike,

I edited with NotePad, now the error message disappeared but it's stuck at the question "Enter WiFi Update Mode?". Pressing Exit button on the radio exit the script, but selecting again the scrip gives me a message "waiting for devices...". I can only turn off and on the radio to run the script again...

I can however successfully select the transmitting power since I can hear the fan triggering when I select Tx Power > 250mW and it immediately stops when Tx power is set at a lower level (with fan thshld set at 250mW). Maybe other function are also working, I didn't try anything else for now.

Let's try updating via USB then :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm still learning how to handle ELRS modules. What is happening appears to be a question after a selection. I need to find out how the script should handle this.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:03 am I'm still learning how to handle ELRS modules. What is happening appears to be a question after a selection. I need to find out how the script should handle this.
Mike, FWIW ELRSv2 talks the same Xfire protocol as `Crossfire.bas` -- ELRSv1 had its own protocol not compatible with Crossfire.lua API. on EdgeTX, one can use ELRSv2.lua and TBS' AgentLite.lua interchangeably with both Crossfire/Tracer and ELRSv2 TX modules -- the API is the same for both.

I flashed my X9E with R223 and tried both `Crossfire.bas` and the new ELRSv2 scripts and neither was functional. ELRSv2.bas displayed the TX module type at the top and a few out of place digits randomly located on the screen and nothing else happens. this is with ELRS 2.X already flashed to the module which talks the Crossfire.lua API

more than happy to help debug this when there's something new to test. :ugeek:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With ELRSV2.bas, the number at the right of the Tx module name is the number of parameters it has (21 in my case).
Numbers at the bottom of the display are debug!

With the Tx module displayed and highlighted, I press MENU and get the first parameter displayed. The .BAS script is using the MENU button rather than the ENTER button on the encoder. So with the parameter displayed, press MENU again and the current setting is highlghted. The encoder should now change the value, and MENU again stops the editing.
With no highlighting, the encoder should step through the parameters.

I only have a single ELRS module (Lite mechanics) and I am testing on a X9LiteS.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 pmarray byte ParameterBuffer[240] ...
Mike, I added the code you suggested. ELRSv2.bas no longer crashes, however when I select to enable WiFi Update I get a confirmation prompt. pressing MENU again shows a "WiFi Canceled" message. WiFi never gets enabled, I tried looking for the expected WiFi SSID which never showed up.

here's a couple of screenshots of ELRSv2.lua on EdgeTX on a T-Lite screen

the entries in bold that start with a `>` open up sub-menu listings.
and the entries in [bold] square brackets behave as buttons when activated.
the non bold entries at the top or in sub-menus act as multi-option selectors -- that part seems to work in the .bas script.
the last row shows the version number and git hash.

hope that helps.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm looking to see how I detect there is sub-menu, and then how it should be handled. I've got a capture of the raw telemetry data so should be able to track this down.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”