SKY9x Ver 3.0

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
nsf

Re: SKY9x Ver 3.0

Post by nsf »

Can you add me to the list Brent?
I'm also interested in the board.

Nuno

SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Ok,
If you would send me a email to [email protected]
I will put you in the Pre order file.
Thanks,
-Brent
nsf

Post by nsf »

Thanks Brent.
E-mail sent.

Nuno
GTiDon

Post by GTiDon »

Kilrah wrote:LOL, "still". The new design only got frozen a couple of days ago...

As Brent said 2 posts above, he just sent the order for the prototypes to be manufactured :lol:
Oh V3... :oops:

Mail Sent. Any indicative price ?
Er9X Flashed
Speaker Mod Done
Haptic Feedback Mod Done
Telemetry Mod Done with FRSky TTL Lite
Voice Mod Done with Emartee Board
HK Backlight Done
FRSky Telemetry DIY Module Installed
----All these mods removed and installed Sky 3.0 board with DJT Module.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

GTiDon wrote:
Kilrah wrote:LOL, "still". The new design only got frozen a couple of days ago...

As Brent said 2 posts above, he just sent the order for the prototypes to be manufactured :lol:
Oh V3... :oops:

Mail Sent. Any indicative price ?
Check the previous page of this thread.

SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Here is a look at Sky9x Rev 3
Sky9x-1.JPG
This shows the new LCD Expansion BUS connector as well as the I2C buss Connector.
Sky9x-2.JPG
This shows the 5 Volt main regulator , that supplys the main 3.3V regulator , and a Aux 3.3V regulator (in picture)
The 5V linear regulator could be replaced with a drop in switching regulator.
The SD card it the type in a phone , the top lifts up and the card drops in place. There is also a 10 pin SD expansion
connector , for relocating the SD card.
The Debug connections are brought out to a header.
The COM3 serial port also has a connection to the second DAC , this could allow for a audio Bluetooth output.
Sky9x-3.JPG
Are people using the Headphone and serial port jacks? , the headphone could use a 3 pin connector .. to 1/8' jack on a wire harness.
This would allow you to mount it were you like. The same goes for the Serial port jack , from what I see most use a internal connection
to the RF module.

-Brent
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Very nice. The SD card should be no problem. The port of the USB Mass Storage to ersky9x is under way. Bertrand has done a lot of it, I need to find a bit of time to do the rest and test it. Might take a few days to find the time though.
With the USB Mass Storage there should be no need to remove the SD card at all.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

One Issue , the USB can not power the board through the 5V regulator, So the board needs to be powered up to get a USB connection.
-Brent
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

One Issue , the USB can not power the board through the 5V regulator, So the board needs to be powered up to get a USB connection.
-Brent
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

MikeB wrote:Very nice. The SD card should be no problem. The port of the USB Mass Storage to ersky9x is under way. Bertrand has done a lot of it, I need to find a bit of time to do the rest and test it. Might take a few days to find the time though.
With the USB Mass Storage there should be no need to remove the SD card at all.

Mike.
Indeed, it would have been great if Brent could have released the 3.0 before the 2.0 ;)
Bertrand.
nsf

Post by nsf »

Awesome, cant wait to get my hands in one of those
rlboyd

Post by rlboyd »

What JTAG adapter do you use when working this this board?
GTiDon

Post by GTiDon »

Am I on your list? Sent an email. Did you get it?
Er9X Flashed
Speaker Mod Done
Haptic Feedback Mod Done
Telemetry Mod Done with FRSky TTL Lite
Voice Mod Done with Emartee Board
HK Backlight Done
FRSky Telemetry DIY Module Installed
----All these mods removed and installed Sky 3.0 board with DJT Module.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Yes Don , I got your email and replied on Sept 26.

-Brent
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Re:JTAG
The software was developed using a Serial port for debug.

Cam , was going to try this JTAG adapter
http://www.segger.com/j-link-edu.html

I do not know if he tried it or not.
-Brent
olafnew

Post by olafnew »

Brent - as a matter of discussion - maybe it's better to drop all the linear reg's out of the board? And install a socket for something like: http://www.ti.com/paramsearch/docs/para ... STRY_PGE_T ? I've used those modules in my projects - nice and simple to use, almost no ripple current at the output.

As a second thought - can we hope for a battery holder to be built in? Or at least solder pads for one.. Would come really usefull )) I mean the one i've mentioned earlier https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A19d ... holder.JPG
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

The 5V linear Regulator can be replaced a buy a drop in 7805 Switching replacement.
Such as...
http://www.murata-ps.com/data/power/oki-78sr.pdf
This regulator Feeds the 3.3V LDO regulators...so heat is not a problem for them with 12 volt supplies.
I have a couple of prototypes built up with them to check them out.

I will look at a battery holder issue.

-Brent
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm dedicating a new case to the anticipated V3 board and need to get up to speed on the options. The rotary encoder will be added and I could use some info on what features it adds?
Wiki only discusses the installation in detail.

I plan to add it to the trainer switch case hole as suggested and use a push button for the trainer function, also a good suggestion. I see the PB mounted on the right rear case side. For right handed flyers wouldn't I want it on the left rear side? This allows me to track the students moves with mode 2 right hand sticks as well as free up my right hand to point, talk and wave, as well as scratch without letting go of the button. I've always felt the trainer switch should be on the left side in any case!
I'm also going to find a PB with a surface area that's easy on the finger tip and long push times. Any suggestions?

Having a functioning co processor seems to open up a lot of new options so I hope that thread is updated with new applications.

Security?
Maybe the option of locking the tx with a pass code? If your tx is lost or stolen it couldn't be reprogrammed without a total reset. I had my pcm10 stolen from my unlocked car (I know, stupid me) while in a hobby store. The thieves tried to sell it later that day at a field 20 miles away. The PCM 10 has a programming pass code, pretty good for a 1986 tx!
I had saved my name as the model name and locked it. When the thieves tried to sell it they turned it on to show it worked. The club members saw my name pop up and they new me. They calmly talked the price down and bought it back and called me later with the good news and a license plate number for the police. They paid $100 and at the time the tx alone was $600.
So... Maybe a custom sign on screen with our names and PH# and a lock code as a new option.
I know tx gear has been stolen at my local non private field so some lock their tx to their case or bench when not being used. Sad but true.
Maybe a soft off and an accelerometer inside so the siren or voice would go off if the tx was moved?

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I’ve just installed the V3 beta board into a new FlySky case. I used the no solder USB interface connector and it installed easily in the charge jack hole with a little hot glue.
The SD card holder is internal on the board and with the new firmware upgrades I’m able to read and write to the SD card without removing it. The card was pre formatted fat 16 and I did not try to format it yet while installed on the board. That will come later.
I also installed the Opterx display and it went in as the Wiki describes. I did put a few dots of hot glue at the display back corners to be pressed on by the board.
I’m using the Frsky DJT module for telemetry and modified and the TX back plane pins to allow the RXD and TXD to use the pins to send data to the boards COM 1 port.
I was able to bind to the Frsky RX and all servo channels work and I see telemetry data displayed.
I hear very little hiss as compared to my V2 board when audio files are played. I’ll do a comparison when I can. Currently my TX starts up with a quick smoke on the water intro and then welcomes me to er9x.
This board has the new switching regulator on it and can use 12 volts with a minimum of 7.5V. I’m using a 1500 Ma Life04 9.9v battery and will set the alarm for 8 volts.

I did install the rotary encoder, knob version. I’ll spend more time on using it and report on that later. I’m used to the buttons so I can’t comment on it either way yet.
If all goes well with more bench testing I’ll have it flying a plane in several days and plan to put some real time on it.
One trick I’ve learned about using the SD card is to access it with my XP computer I need to turn the TX on, wait 20 seconds to allow the er9x sign on screen to go away and then plug in the usb cable and XP finds the card. If I don’t wait I’ll get the USB screen on the TX and it’s waiting then for FW and mix programming.
As Brent has posted, with this version board the power must be on to power the USB interface on the board as well as what ever else needs it. The computer USB cable no longer powers the radio for programming.
OK that’s enough this go around. So far it’s looking real good and the real test will be using it to fly a plane.
I haven’t tried the trainer function but that is on my list as well.
ShowMaster

I want to thank MikeB and all the others that write the firmware that make this hardware work so well. Brent and all the hardware builders I’m sure agree.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Here is the latest.

I made room for a CR2032 battery holder (in grey) , it mounts on top of the SMT components.
SKY9x_Rev_3A.JPG
-Brent
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Question about the battery connector on the board. Do I want to use the two outside pins for the battery? I think I used the center and left pins. It was late and the last thing I did. I want to get the RTC working today. Hopefully no harm done. If it all fires up today and I work out the clock I'm going to fly a plane with it. Contest at the field but it should end by 3 pm and I'm mile away.
Pretty exciting!

I didn't install the BT module since I don't have anything to talk to it. I do have BT in my netbook. Anyone know of a program that works like the Frsky android app for windows?

ShowMaster
olafnew

Post by olafnew »

Brent, thx! I think it'll be a great addition!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

This picture of the clock battery shows the 3 pins. I do want to connect the 2032 + to the far left and -to the center pin just to be 100% correct.
I see the + on the far right on this picture.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350244041.829783.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350244041.829783.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 12963 times

ShowMaster
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

SM , you do not have this version , the connections on your board are the same as the Rev B.
The connection had to modified to fit the Battery holder.
Use the layout for info....
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1497&start=60#p23765
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok now I'm on the same "page". I've had the battery connection right so no changes needed.
SM
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

My test flights today?
What's better than perfect? Well that what it was. Not any issue that I could find. The audio was perfect, the telemetry worked as expected. For this test flight I only used the analog divider to read lipo voltage and the winged shadow how high for altitude reading imperial/feet. The 400 ft altitude alarm went off at 400 ft as hoped. The lipo low voltage alarm also worked. I had the haptic shake the tx at 11v and the siren at 10.8 as a test. I did not have the voice SW function for reading the alarms but that's next. What voice options I did use sounded great
As for control the trims and sticks seemed normal to me as I went through loops, spins, inverted flight as well straight line flying. I did this for 15-20 min full power for 6 flights as well as a 30 min relaxing flight, all with a brushless powered Sky Surfer. The Frsky DJT and 8 ch RX performed perfectly and I flew to where this plane was a little dot without any control or RSSI issues. I did take it up 1000ft for a quick altitude test and quickly came down to under 400 ft.
The CPU temp went to 38c. Without the BL on the tx total draw is 86 Ma. With the upgraded display BL on the total was 146Ma.
I think Brent has another hit on his hands. Next tests will be with a fun cub with flaps. I hope to have the Frsky current sensor, tach and GPS added to my testing this week.
This is an honest unbiased review and so far it's working perfectly.
It also plays smoke on the water at turn on just to tease the spektrum dx8 owners.
SM

ShowMaster
preston91

Post by preston91 »

Mine plays "Fly Away" on power up when I just wanna show off :-)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Free falling is another good one

ShowMaster
kaos

Post by kaos »

Just thought about something. Sky9x is capable of dual DAC. Now we already have the firmware to play back ground music. why not make it stereo sound system. ;) two smaller spker and one stereo head phone jack. ;)
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

The amp draw is nice. My sky9x board draws 180ma without the backlight.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”