SKY9x Ver 3.0

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: SKY9x Ver 3.0

Post by Rob Thomson »

jhsa wrote:Brent could even produce his own radio.. but the RF module could be a problem as you say..
Anyway I don't believe that frsky would stop producing the modules.. there are a lot of old radios that can be upgraded..

JUoão

As I said. It will happen. Just a matter of when. Could be a year... could be five years. But they will eventually stop :-P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

I would love to lower the price ...but as it stands , I make $20 on each board sold. That is before I pay the paypal transaction fee , which can be
up to $6 depending on the country , and payment type.

I did this whole venture to give back to the group ....If my buddy did not own a SMT assembly house , and paid for the parts up front , I never
could have done this.

Now that I'm out of boards , I would like to fix up a few small issues...But...

Now , with the new FRSKY radio , with a ARM processor , larger LCD , and better sticks , SD card , Audio output.
If it sells in the $250 area , then there is room for the SKY9x , but if it sells for $150 , then I'm beat.

Typically One sells for at least 3x your cost ...... other people selling boards for the 9x , are making this...and can have fancy web sites , and send out free replacements....At 3x cost, I would have to sell the board a over $150.

So those who bought a Rev B , you got a good deal ....

-Brent
kaos

Post by kaos »

For Frysky to sell Tx for 250 is going to be a tough battle. the aurora 9 can be had NOW for 300 with 6ch rx.
I think you will have a base market for people who is already in the er9x community who knows how flexible the programing is. just like your Rev. B is out in no time. I was surprised you only produce about 150 of them. testing water? ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

....and we just got some news, the market will be flooded by three frsky radios :D
So there will likely be something in every price range...
there will be THREE FrSky radios upcoming, X9D first and followed by X12D and X16D. The specifications that were posted on page1 of this thread are for X9D.

X9D: one LCD screen
X12D: one LCD screen (at the buttom) and one monochrome OLED screen (on top)
X16D: one BIG color OLED screen (on top)
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Oled... Nice, not cheap though.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?aq1jlk

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Guess the idea is a range of products.

9 channel -> cheap and an ideal 9X replacement
12 channel -> cheapish and a superb upgrade to the 9x
16 channel -> top end for those who want to pay more

I personally would go for the 12 channel. I love the split screen option. Program in the bottom screen. View critical telemetry and batter info in the top one.

Rob
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

I took a big risk by running 150 boards , without prototyping Rev B first.
We went from 5 boards of Rev A to the 150 of Rev B.
I took the chance , as I wanted to have the boards ready for our flying season...
though,... my largest customer base is from down under...cheers

I'm thinking that I should target the board for the HK - 9XR , this will upgrade the Radio to
be in between the two FRSKY models.

I think the 9x is dead , FLYSKY will replace it with the new model HK will not be buying it , Leader dropped it , and once the other Radios come out ... no one will be buying the 9x ...UNLESS its$39 again. ....and that is just another reason for FLYSKY to kill it.

-Brent
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I agree.

This would make good business sense. Just a matter of waiting for a few months :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
kaos

Post by kaos »

why not design the board generic/universal, ie with provision of board being placed in any Tx box. some study of fixing hole needed. I would imagine you can strategically place some extra holes on the board and each Tx can find 3 or 4 hole to fix. If not enough, some double sided thick tape can help fix the board well.
and connectors for different Tx. using one standard connector but with adaptors for different brand Tx with different connectors.
Just the way the end user thinks.
terabyte

Post by terabyte »

i got another 9x in the mail yesterday :) I'm ready for v3 board!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8092/8470213998_eb5aff468b_b.jpg
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

kaos wrote:why not design the board generic/universal, ie with provision of board being placed in any Tx box. some study of fixing hole needed. I would imagine you can strategically place some extra holes on the board and each Tx can find 3 or 4 hole to fix. If not enough, some double sided thick tape can help fix the board well.
and connectors for different Tx. using one standard connector but with adaptors for different brand Tx with different connectors.
Just the way the end user thinks.
How do you know it will fit unless you own all of the tx's! :-)
kaos

Post by kaos »

Isn't there info about these Tx dimension/spec available once they are out?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I am sure people would be happy to open and measure... but getting accurate so holes line up... that would be hard!
kaos

Post by kaos »

who said it is easy. ;)
yep, even the current ersky9x board has one top right hole is off, but it is easy fix , file a little to one side , it slips in.
Keith

Post by Keith »

kaos wrote:who said it is easy. ;)
yep, even the current ersky9x board has one top right hole is off, but it is easy fix , file a little to one side , it slips in.
I was not sure if that was the board or me... I ended up putting it in at a bit of an angle...
That's one of the hardest holes to see with the wires in the way... Murphy's Law...
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

You don't need that screw ... I did it for weight reduction :D

Q. Is the Haptic good at 3.3V or should it be moved to 5V or VBatt?

-Brent
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

I do have one Rev B , it is not on speaking terms with the co-processor ... The ARM cannot talk to it over the I2C bus for some reason.
The board works fine except for that ..... If any body wants it ....I'll take $10 off ...so $85 CDN.

Rev C is about to go out for prototyping....and then will need to be hand-built up for testing ...I'm so looking forward to that...

-Brent
kaos

Post by kaos »

What is the difference between RevC and RevB?

I know my pan cake haptic works just fine on RevB that you designated. Just don't know what voltage it is. ;) never run a meter on it.
If it would be stronger on 5V, that would be good. (more massage to tiring fingers when flying ;) )
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Many good things are different between rev c and rev b.

whole thread...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1497&hilit=sky+3.0
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

:mrgreen:
kaos

Post by kaos »

:oops: :oops: I am getting old. totally forgot about THAT thread which I also posted. :oops: :oops:

Hell, I can't even remember who said what now any way. :mrgreen:

but is that final? I don't see a final listing /conlcusion.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Yeah, forgetting that the thread your posting in is the thread you posted in posting a question about a board of which the thread you're posting in is all about.

In other words, i linked to this thread. ;)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dobjrq
kaos

Post by kaos »

that's what I mean: 'THAT' thread. :oops:
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Too early in the morning, my brain hurts with all these circles within circles.

All I need now is to raise Hippo and get some boards for the 7 way rotaries, and I can start modding, and setting up a dedicated RC flying PC for source code and the like. Will still need some more ERSky boards, so hopefully, they will happen.
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_
kaos

Post by kaos »

About ERSKY9X V3 again. see if you can include what is coming out from this and fix the noise pop in the spker.
viewtopic.php?uid=103&f=45&t=1257&start=90
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

To those of you who are thinking of making your own transmitter I can help you with the concept, planning, moulding and execution of the case. I have just completed assembly of my tray radio using the Rev B board, parts from a JR 388, and a case which I moulded myself. A warning: there is a lot of work in this and whilst it would be a lot simpler to just transfer all the part from a Trunigy/FlySky/Eurgle 9x radio the vast majority of time is spent in making the moulds. Production and sale of a moulded fibreglass case is commercially unrealistic. It takes me 2.5 hours to cut the glass mix the resin and lay up the glass in the mould, just for one half of the case. Then there is the trimming after curing in the oven so maybe 8 hours work per case. Multiply that by a reasonable hourly rate and who is going to pay that sort of money?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=24329
Steve
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Talking about using other manufacturers parts to upgrade a tx or to build your own, can these Jeti gimbals with hall effect sensors be interfaced with the ErSky 9x board? See half way down the page:
http://blog.espritmodel.com/category/radio-systems/
Steve
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

Will this new version of the board require more work from Mike B? Meaning will there need to be another version of ersky9x? With only one active developer, it could be a long time before all these new features are implimented, not to mention the fact it takes time away from er9x and the current version of ersky9x. I'm assuming because the processor isn't changing that it will be fine, but I'm just wondering about it.

cheers!
Sky9X: One radio to rule them all, and in the darkness BIND them.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I doubt there will be any difference at the physical code point of view. From my understanding it is mostly about improving layout to make this easier for installing and accessing usb ports etc!

Mike.. I know this is a HUGE task, but in the long term, maybe doing the open9x route of one source tree for all systems will help?

I know on the open9x front this pretty much saves loads of time and ensures new features go to all platforms!

Rob
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No. the new board should not require much, if any, extra work to get going.

The biggest problem, at the moment, is eepe, I'm trying to bring it up to date. I'm also looking at whether I can handle ersky9x on it as well.

Erazz and I discussed whether to have one set of sources very early on. At that point, we decided to spilt them. As time goes on, I think er9x and ersky9x will diverge sufficiently that keeping to one set of sources may actually be more confusing. Looking at open9x sources, there are so many #if constructs, it is quite difficult to follow the code.

Having said that, I haven't ruled out having some parts common code.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”