KingRadio TX18S

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
skyblue

KingRadio TX18S

Post by skyblue »

Hi MikeB,
I just had a KingRadio TX18S. It use the same firmware of Jumper T18. Can I use erskyTX for it?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: KingRadio TX18S

Post by MikeB »

I don't know! I haven't got a TX18S, and I haven't seen any technical data on it.
However, as it is very similar to the Radiomaster TX16S, you could try the erskyTx firmware for that and see what does (and doesn't) work. I can then investigate what doesn't work and see if we can get it all OK.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Hi Skyblue. Did you get erskyTx to work?
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Hi mmilan,
Not yet.Have no time to do that.
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

Having just bought a Radioking TX18S - I really despair at some of the lack of logic in openTX compared to erskyTX / er9x ... I find what appears to be logical - then turns out to not work .. or is only halfway ...

Good example is Sticky Throttle Cut .... erskyTX is a one line job in Safety Switch section. Not in openTX - to get same result - needs 2 Logical Switch lines and a Special Function entry to achieve.

I really do look forward to erskyTX for the RK TX18S ...

I have over 60 models programmed into my er**** radios .... and no way to port them to openTX ... I know I need to occupy my time during CV19 lockdown - but this is not what I look to do !!

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I don't have a TX18S, but if you are prepared to try test versions of erskyTx and report any problems I can attempt the port. It looks like it is VERY similar to the Radiomaster TX16S. I've had a look at the differences in the openTx hardware configuration and it looks to me as though the version for the TX16S should run, although there may be a problem with one of the horizontal trims.
Perhaps you could try flashing tx16s_rom.bin and let me know what problems you get.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted a test version for the TX18S (possibly fix the trim problem).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

I hope you do not mind ... but I posted the link to the erskyTX on the TX18S Facebook page. Hoping that those who really know how to use erskyTX can test. My use of is pretty simple level and I would not be able to advise / test as is required.

If linking is not wanted - I can soon delete the link ... not a problem.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No problem. If it generally looks to be OK, all trims and controls working, then it should be all OK. erskyTx is running on the FrSky X10S, X10S express, Jumper T16 and Radiomaster TX16S.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

A number of downloads have already occurred ... so fingers crossed some feedback soon.
phil

Post by phil »

program the erskyTX software into the TX18S and you can transfer the 60 models. Mike wrote the program especially, you should use it
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

phil wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 pm program the erskyTX software into the TX18S and you can transfer the 60 models. Mike wrote the program especially, you should use it
I totally appreciate the work Mike does for us ....

I am ummin and arrin about it ... its a new radio in my hands and I'm not an expert in any FW ... just a sunday flier Joe ...

I like the erskyTX / er9x in my older radios ... but they are 9x and 9xr .. real old hat stuff.

If I install erskyTX for TX18S ... and somethings not quite right ? can the original openTX be put back ? I know that sounds ungrateful - its not meant to be.

Just me nervous about it.
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

OK ... if I install erskyTX for TX18S ...

What about SD card content ? Is there a replacement for that or does it use same as openTX ? Reason I ask is that when openTX is upgraded or changed - the SD card content needs change as well to match card ID to FW.

Anyone have any screen shots ?
phil

Post by phil »

I only know the most important things, but you can also load erskyTX on the bootloader. so you can switch between the systems and choose the more comfortable one. i use er9x and erskytx. mike has helped me several times.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

If I install erskyTX for TX18S ... and somethings not quite right ? can the original openTX be put back ? I know that sounds ungrateful - its not meant to be.
You can (and should) download the existing firmware and eeprom of your radio before you flash a new software.
eePsky allows you that downloads ("Read Firmware from TX" and "Read EEPROM memory to file", save it as hex and/or bin).
This ensures, that communication is working and gives you the backup files to reflash the TX with its old contents.
But before reflashing a new firmware, use a hex editor to CHECK THE CONTENT of the downloaded files. The firmwarefile must not consist of all hex "FF" or endless repeated sequences of the same values. This could be possible, if at the programming time a special bit has been set, that forebids reading the content of the flash.

Reinhard
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

I have backups already as a matter of course. Always did that with my 9x's and 9xr's in eePe ...

My RK TX18S is backed up in Companion.

At present I am not using the radio to fly with .. while I juggle around in the programming and get used to it. I bound one model to it as a test and today bound another RX to it ...

Interesting item then showed ... the RX in the model is the old Frsky 7ch V series ... works perfectly. The second RX was a Radiomaster R88 8ch (FrSky D8). I never expected either to lock on similar to Model Match ... where if I change model - the Rx does not link ... That was a surprise.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have the backup and the openTx .bin file, then you may just flash erskyTx, and flash back to openTx if required.
SD card contents are the same for all erskyTx versions, I carefully don't change them unless absolutely necessary. The contents may be downloaded from www.er9x.com.

On these type of radios the radio and model settings are stored on the SD card.

While you may not be wanting to use many facilities, if you could test and check all the basic controls and general operation that would be helpful.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

OK Mike ... will sort out over next day or so - have an ongoing situation with damaged roof and c**p insurance co at moment ... with -15C and snow !!
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

ReSt wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:18 am
You can (and should) download the existing firmware and eeprom of your radio before you flash a new software.
eePsky allows you that downloads ("Read Firmware from TX" and "Read EEPROM memory to file", save it as hex and/or bin).
This ensures, that communication is working and gives you the backup files to reflash the TX with its old contents.
But before reflashing a new firmware, use a hex editor to CHECK THE CONTENT of the downloaded files. The firmwarefile must not consist of all hex "FF" or endless repeated sequences of the same values. This could be possible, if at the programming time a special bit has been set, that forebids reading the content of the flash.

Reinhard
Have you installed erskyTX on your RK TX18S ?
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I have Ersky TX (9xR pro) but no TX18S

Reinhard
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

OK ... I had a bit of trouble installing to the TX18s ... eePSKY would not recognise the radio .. tried via Bootloader and direct. Putting FW on SD card ... it did not work - showed the file but would not allow me to flash.

I finally flashed via Companion ..... and also set card content as per erSKY from er9x downloads ... (but card content in fact made no difference to results).

erSKY flash screen upside down.
In fact all screens upside down and most items were difficult to access ... the button config being different. The Radioking has the 3 button left side - not the 4 as in other radio. The upper right RTN key seemed not to work most of the time. Scroll wheel clunky and intermittent.

Reverting back to openTX 2.3.11 had its moments !! After flashing it said there were errors, which I assumed because I had not put back openTX Card content .. did that and all working as before again.

So erSKYtx does load and is there - but when trying to navigate - it was intermittent on scroll and needed PAGE key at times.

As to controlling a model - I could not get that far ... probably my fault. As I say - I am not best tester for this sort of thing.

Sorry - needs someone better than me ...
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

erSKY flash screen upside down.
In "radio setup" - "Display" tick the "Rotate Screen"

That will rotate your screen

Reinhard
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

I looked for such a command ... but I didn't see it ...

Its bloody cold out in my workshop even with heating on ... so I will hang on a bit before trying again.
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

You know that little voice in the head that nags !! So I took a small heater with me !! Funny - my model workshop is 12m x 8m !! So it had to stay VERY close to me while working.

I flashed erskyTX again ... of course this time I knew how and what to do ...

Screen still upside down ... and top text partly hidden by screen edge ...

Went through every combo / buttons / menu I could - but no Rotate Screen option anywhere I could find. Nothing in DISPLAY other than Brightness etc.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Might be you have to power on the radio with "Hardware Menu enabled" (even though it should appear in the Display menu; Left Trim left when powering on).

My Display menu has the options of
Contrast
Brightness
Light switch
Light on Key
Light on Stk Mv
Flash on Beep
Rotate Screen
Reverse Screen

BUT I'm compiling the code by myself, so it could be that I have modified it somewhere to show all these options.
(Just verified, that I permanently enable the Hardware Menu!!)

Reinhard
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The screen orientation is fixed on the colour screen, no rotate option.
I've just posted an updated test version. THis fixes the screen and should improve the scroll wheel operation.
No one else is reporting on this radio yet, (some downloads are likely 'bots') so your feedback is very useful (and needed).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

TKS Mike ...

Will brave the cold again ..... bloody -15C here ...
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

OK ... good ... yes thats right way up and scroll is now working well.

Bit confused about buttons to go through menu and items though.

OK - eePeSKY does not want to connect to this radio for FW flashing - had to do that from Companion. Will not flash erSKY from SD card but will flash openTX back again with SD card OK.

Tried getting Companion to flash one of my model backups but file form not recognised by Companion. Tried eePeSKY and it said it would write to eeProm ... I chickened out then as I do not know where that will go !! I know there is an eeProm folder on SD card .. will it go there ? I could not get eePeSKY to read radio for model memory ...

But even without model setup - all appeared to be working ... calibration went OK ... menu seems ok - except for bit confusing as to which button to press for items.

I've basically reached the limit of my expertise now ... it works - but how to load up models from my old radio backups ? Further testing really needs a far more accomplished user than myself.

I know this sounds bad considering all the effort you put in for us Mike, and I am only asking !! ... but the screen and presentation ... is there any plan to exploit the better display ? Maybe some other font at first ??
I realise that this is early days and first we need to get it working ...
As you know the TX18S has a Touch Screen ... full daylight viewable colour and able to be divided up for display of various 'widget boxes' ...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have improved the font since I first added colour screen radios. Regarding the touch screen, I currently have no information on the hardware and how it works.
If you changed the bootloader to the erskyTx one, then eepskye should communicate with it. To update the bootloader, copy the erskyTx .bin file to the firmware directory of the SD card, restart in "maintenance mode" (power on with trims apart), and use the Update Bootloader option.
If you don't want to do that (yet), then use the following method to transfer models.
Run eepskye and load the EEPROM for another radio. For each model you want, right click on it and select "Save Model/Settings". You will get a file with the model name and type .eepe. Copy these files to the SD card of the TX18S, in a directory called "MODELS". Start the TX18S normally, go to the "Model Select" screen, choose an empty slot, and select it to get the popup menu. From the popup, select "Restore", and choose the model you want.
If any model has come from a radio with different switches and pots/sliders, you will need to check the settings. It isn't really possible to translate the switches as they are quite different (2 or 3 position etc.).

I do look into improving the display every so often, although I have been keeping things compatible with other radios so far. The last addition I did was the icons on the Model setup screen (even though I'm not very good at creating them!). I need to look at the custom telemetry screens, improve how they are configured and what you may display perhaps. Specific suggestions are welcome for me to consider how easy it might be do do.

One thing you could do is to start the radio in bootloader mode, connect the USB cable, then let me know what the two hard drives that appear are called (Volume name). One of the hard drives is the firmware. What are the filenames on that drive please. This information should enable me to get eepskye to recognise the drives as presented by the openTx bootloader.

I should have some upgrade cables for my Jumper T16 soon (it currently goes bad every few days), and some batteries, so I may be able to do some more testing/updates then.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

In Bootloader mode with openTX .... you get two drives pop up ... both named TX18S but of course different drive letters ... first is the card and second I believe is the radio itself.

I have not changed Bootloader ... when connected with erskyTX installed ......... the SD card comes up as just 'removable drive' with no name or TX18s .. but the second drive still says TX18S ... I'll check again tmrw on filenames.

I understand the reasoning of not straying too far from other radios ... but it seems a shame not to exploit the screen - considering that its same screen I believe as used on other MPM radios now.

I hope someone else gets on this as well - as I really am at a loss on testing further ...

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”