MasterRadio TX16S

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
skyblue

MasterRadio TX16S

Post by skyblue »

I am used to using erskyTx , does it support TX16S?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: MasterRadio TX16S

Post by MikeB »

I don't have a T16S, only a T16, which is supported. I'm not sure at the moment what the differences are, but it is likely that the version of erskyTx for the T16 will run. I can see there is an extra button, which won't do anything.
If you are prepared to try erskyTx, and let me know what doesn't work, I should be able to get it fully running.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

I was wondering if anyone has been successful in flashing ErSkyTx to this transmitter. I have tried, as Mike suggested elsewhere using the July 2019 version and bootloader as well as the latest Test Version without success. Hopefully someone has done it and can share just how they did it, please. OpenTx is not user friendly.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Did flashing the radio just not work, or did you managed to flash the radio but the firmware didn't run properly?
What methods did you try to do the flashing?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

I used the latest and the 2019 versions of eepsky to flash. It would not flash with the T16 firmware and the disk not mounted error appeared.Then I tried flashing the bootloader the radio would lockup and a hard reboot was necessary. Then in order for the radio and SD drives to be seen I had to flash the OpenTx bootloader back. Now all is good for OpenTx, if one can call that good. I have learned to use OpenTx and all its nuances but it is so much cumbersome than your ersky9x. Thanks BTW for all that you have done for us. I truly appreciate your genius.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Could you try the method where you copy the file to flash to the SD card then use the bootloader to flash it from there?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Certainly will. I will tomorrow.
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Ok, finally had time to try this. Flashing from the sd card resulted in the radio hanging at the "long press enter" to flash. So I tried flashing the erskyTx firmware from Companion. It flashed and when I turned it on I got a "STARTING" message briefly then a black screen with a hard reboot necessary to revive.I reflashed OpenTx and the radio is functioning in OpenTx again.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I'll see if I can find out what the hardware differences are between the T16 and the TX16S.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

I wish that I could afford to buy you a radio.
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

Hi Mike ...........

I reckon I can add my name to the very long list of grateful users of er9x and ersky9x ....

I too am extremely interested in the Radiomaster T16S ... as it has better roller ... antenna etc. than the Jumper.

But I will not buy it if I cannot flash erskyTX to it ...

Watching with very high interest ..........

Nigel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted a test version of erskyTx (on the test version thread) for the RM TX16S. I've done some changes relating to where buttons and trim switches are connected. If someone could try flashing this as I don't have a radio of my own to try.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Great, I will try it in the morning, thanks.
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Mike, I tried: when writing firmware from the sd card it hangs just after the firmware selection. I can "RTN" to the previous menu. When flashing from eepsky, I am still getting disk not mounted error. I tried to flash from Companion, and it flashed with a warning that it may be invalid firmware. The radio hung and required a hard reboot. Then I was still able to turn on in bootloader mode and reflash with openTx.
Thanks, Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When it hung, did anything appear on the display first (e.g. "STARTING")?
When you start in bootloader mode and connect to the PC, you should see two hard drives, one the firmware and the other the SD card. What is the "volume name" of the drive for the firmware please?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

The Volume name is TX16S. With the SD card flash it had the .bin file and wanted me to long press enter to start the flash. I will redo the Companion flash to remember exactly what it said when I started the radio.
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Ok, mike, when flashing the test firmware with Companion it flashed very fast (seemed too fast). then when turning the radio on (not in bootloader) it has a white screen with "Hardware Menu Enabled". A hard reboot was necessary again.
Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Ah useful! I must be seeing the left horizontal trim permanently on. This causes the "Hardware Menu Enabled" display, and then the firmware is waiting for the trim switch to be released.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, hopefully I've fixed that in the test version I've just posted.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

The same thing happens. Also when I try to flash from the SD card, one first selects the firmware from a list, then a confirmation screen appears with the chosen file. The screen flickers at about 30 Hz and is locked up. A hard reboot is necessary (unplugging the battery) to be able to turn on in bootloader mode. Turning on in normal mode shows "Hardware menu enabled". Still can not flash from eepe sky. And still a warning in Companion that it may be a non valid file.
Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've posted a new test version where I've disable the left horizontal trim switch to get further through.
If it sticks at the hardware menu enabled, it should display some (hex) numbers at the same time. I need to know what they are.
If it boots and runs, then those same numbers are in the debug menu and I'll need to know what they are there to sort out the trim switch.

Do you know if the eepskye you are using is using QT4 or QT5 (look in the install directory to see what .dll files are in there).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

eepskye = QT5
On bootup it gives a white screen with STARTING then it goes to black. I do not see any hex numbers. It takes three long presses of the on/off switch to get it to turn off. I can still bootup into OpenTx Bootloader - 2.3.9-otx. Should I have flashed a different bootloader before flashing the firmware?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

New test version posted. I've included an eepskye.exe that may find the TX16S to allow flashing. Take a copy of you existing eepskye.exe and then put this one in your install directory.
This test version requires you to hold the power button pressed for 1.5 seconds, and should show "STARTING" with a progress bar underneath.
After this 1.5 seconds, the boot process is slowed by displaying a single, large character in the top left corner, pausing as each character is shown. Each character indicates how far through the boot process it has got, starting with 'A'. Hopefully these will show up (i.e. we don't have black characters on a black background!). Please let me know if they appear, and if so, what the last one displayed is if they stop changing.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

That worked as you said. The letters in the upper lefthand corner were green on white background and appeared about 4/sec. The last one was E. Then the screen went black. Multiple long presses of the on/off button finally turned it off. Then I can still boot into OpenTx bootloader mode.
Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I'll investigate, but it is late here so the next test version will be tommorrow.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Mike, after the screen went black I shined a flashlight on the black screen and could just see the erskytx intro screen. I pressed enter and got switch warnings and what I think was a throttle warning. It is hard to read. This is all while holding the power button down. A power off appeared and when I let go of the power button the Tx turned off. So looks like we are making progress!!

Mike
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Great and thanks again. Txt with you tomorrow
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm just about to post another test version, it may be the backlight gets turned off. I've added some lower case letters between the 'E' you see and the 'F' you don't. I've also done a change to try to keep the backlight on.
Do you have to keep the power button pressed for the characters to appear? You should be able to release it after the "STARTING" screen has finished.

Have you managed to try the updated eepskye?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Yes the updated eepskye was able to flash the Tx. And yes I have to keep pressing the power button for the boot to progress, or at least for me to "see" it after the "starting" screen. I will try the latest firmware.
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Great. The backlight now stays on. And I am able to make a model, add mixes, calibrate the analogue controls, and access most of the settings. The hardware setup is not available. But I think you said that you disabled the left horizontal trim, so that makes sense. Real progress. It is a nice radio, so well worth the effort on my part at least.
Thanks
Mike

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”