OpenTx vs ER9x/ErSky9x telemetry

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
interestingfellow

OpenTx vs ER9x/ErSky9x telemetry

Post by interestingfellow »

Is there any reason that telemetry would work on an X7 running OpenTx but not if it was running Er9x/ErSky9x?

I am having a very hard time trying to set up my Brain2 heli gryo with a castle esc and XSR (or X4R-sb) properly.
The brain does some things differently for reasons I don't understand, and it does work with OpenTx but I am running ErSky9x. I didn't think there would be any difference, and I just wanted to make sure.

Here is my issue as described to the brain folks over at helifreak

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: OpenTx vs ER9x/ErSky9x telemetry

Post by MikeB »

I can't think of any reason telemetry won't work.
You could check that something is being received by going to the "DEBUG" menu (UP LONG then RIGHT several times) and see if the first number to the right og "TelRxCount is changing. If it is changing, then I would expect at least SWR and RSSI (if the Rx is powered on and bound). You may check if these as being received by going to the "Logging" menu and seeing if there are ticks at the right of the display beside SWR and RSSI.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
interestingfellow

I am getting signal strength already but will check as you have described.

I do beleive the fault lies somewhere in the brain/esc setup, but figured I should ask here, just in case.

Thank you!
interestingfellow

How does one enter the debug menu on an X7? there is no "up" or "right" dpad keys.

Telemetry is working, but not as expected %100.

MSH Brain 2 flybarless gyro, XSR (I am pulling of the uninverted s.bus signal from before the onboard inverter), castle edge 50, and scorpion 2221-8
I set up RPM out in Castle and in the Brain2 software
I am getting signal (as always), and now temp and RPM telemetry on my x7 with ERSky9x, so I know that telemetry is working.
But I am not getting any voltage, current, or "fuel meter" readings.

Any suggestions on what I can try/look at?
I have another x7 on the way with opentx on it. I plan on trying that just to see if it does anything differently than my current setup.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Main popup, select "Statistics", then the rotary encoder should step between pages. Press the encoder button (or the MENU button) to switch between page selection, and moving up/down a page.

Go to the "Logging" menu. At the very right of the display there is a tick beside any telemetry value that is being received. See what is being received. You may need to set a "Ratio" value, in the telemetry menu, for RxV and A1 or A2. Also you may need to set a "Current source".

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

interestingfellow

That got me a little further along, thank you!

I see that values that are ticked and being sent, but not values are present (other than 0).
When I change "current source" to Fas, I do get mah1 and mah2. What is "Fas"?

What I really want is the "fuel guage" and RPM ( I already get RPM).
Is there a guide for all this stuff? The latest revision I could find of ER9x manual was 2015 which is super awesome, but doesn't seem to have more info about more recent telemetry settings.

i'm going to continue to play and see what I can see.

Thanks, again!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not familiar with the hardware you are using. For me to see exactly what telemetry values you are receiving please create a "raw log" file (instructions here: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... t=#p123508).

Fas is "Frsky Amp Sensor", which provides flight pack current and voltage.

Should your hardware be sending the "Fuel Gauge" data, or just the current? If only the current, you will be able to set the Tx up to work out the battery capacity used. In the telemetry menu is an item "mAh Alarm". Set this to the capacity of the flight battery where you consider it is "empty". The current (amps) value will be integrated over time to give the mAh used, and combined with the mAh Alarm value to give a Fuel value and a warning when the Fuel reaches 0.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
interestingfellow

I am using a Brain2 heli gyro. I have included a terrible copy of the page from the manual about Frsky. I think note 8 and on is of interest. The gyro is intended to work with OpenTX and I'm assuming that OTx "sensor detection" sets all the parameters automatically, where I have to manually set them in ErSky9x.

I have attached the raw log as your link described. I hope .rar is ok
there is also a csv in there that I am going to google various parameters of.

The Brain2 has a "fuel gauge" built in, too. I can configure it to a set mah in the gyro software which will slow rpm at a set used mah (I don't like that). I don't think that has anything to do with the Tx fuel gauge you were referring to which is the one I want to use.

Sidenote: after playing around (and grabbing a motor spinning at 40krpm like a dumb bass) I managed to show amp draw on my telemetry screen. Also, in the csv I can see other values being logged that are not being displayed. I'm going to see if I can learn the differences.

EDIT
After digging through the csv and er9x manual, I want to ask
Why don't I get SWR value?
what is cvlt? in my csv it shows 4.5, and i'm not sure what that is
Attachments
Y2-2018-12-10-194211.rar
(308.7 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
interestingfellow

I forgot that windows will create zip files natively....duh.
Attachments
Y2-2018-12-10-194211.zip
(311.68 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

After a quick look, you should have:
Sensor "Amps" the current.
Sensor "FasV" the flight pack voltage.
Sensor "RBm1" the mAh consumed.
The raw log file shows SWR being received with a value of 0.
You should have a sensor "RxV", receiver volts, but need to set the ratio for that in the Telemetry menu. If normal, use 13.2 as the ratio value, which will give a RxV value of 5.8 volts.
Cvlt is the lowest individual cell voltage, only valid if individual cell voltages are being sent, which they are not.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
interestingfellow

MikeB wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:18 am Mike
Mike, I have been casually tring to work out getting telemetry right with my x7/er9x with MSH Brain and Kontronik esc's. I am chatting with my MSH friends in our MSH Ikon tuning group on Facebook and wanted your input on some comments that were made in reference to telemetry not working. Brain2 requires s.port to got to ch3 on the servo connectors and uninverted s.bus to go into the sat port. I am pulling uninverted right off the inverter gate (?) leg and it was working. I updated my Brain pc software and brain firmware and telemetry stopped working.

Here is the the response that Rik Menta (he is to Brain as you are to ER9x, basically).
Rik Menta wrote: The kind of receivers with S.Bus and SmartPort currently still sold by FrSky are no less than 12. We have verified that each receiver model, each with its specific FrSky Firmware, behaves in a way that is different from the others. Some have Smart Port faster response times to value requests than others with slow response times. Some interrogate the sensors at a constant rate, others interrogate the sensors at random intervals (and "Sensor Lost" messages are received due to timeouts). But in addition to this there are also other models no longer produced and no longer sold yet in circulation. Here in Italy or in European shops it is not easy to find available some models of receivers to be able to try all them.
and
Rik Menta wrote:We and our Beta tester, have used and tested: X8R, RX8R, RX6R, RX4R, X4RSB. The 8 channels seems the fastest to respond to value requests from Integration and with a constant request rate for telemetry values.
What thoughs/advice/input might you have?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That if the sensor is coded correctly none of this should matter. All FrSky sensors work with all receivers. Same for many 3rd party sensors, I actually made some myself too.
Yes the polling rate and timing might differ between receiver models, but there's only one thing that matters - that your sensor doesn't talk when not requested, and that it answers a request to the one ID you choose to use within the allowed timeframe if it has something to say. If you do that it will work with all receivers, no need to test.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”