Radio dead after updating.

ersky9x is a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Rad

Radio dead after updating.

Post by Rad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Hello! Today I updated my 9xtreme to ersky9xProvR222b4, and after flashing the radio with eepesky as always (using revision P423, may 24 2018) and when I turn the radio on, the screen does two blinks in red, one in blue, and then the screen stays in green... The thing is the radio just stays in color green, but I can see nothing in the screen. Also I have the starting music.

Any ideas here?

EDIT: I reflashed and older version 222a8, and still the same problem... I wonder if something is broken inside and the problem when flashing is just a coincidence...

EDIT 2: I can read the models with eepysky. Im thinking about a hardware problem screen related...

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Radio dead after updating.

Post by MikeB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Looks like a problem with the 9Xtreme communicating with the original main board. The backlight colours you describe are consistent with the 9Xtreme failing to see the AVR processor and then updating the code on the AVR processor (apparently successfully, shown by the green backlight).
My best suggestion is to remove the 9Xtreme, and clean the 4 pads it connects via. If you power the main board on, with the 9Xtreme disconected from it, the main board should display the revision of its firmware. My suspicion is the reset signal to the AVR processor on the main board is being held active (low). THis would prevent the AVR from communicating to the 9Xtreme, but still allow for a successful update.

Mike
ersky9x/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Rad

Post by Rad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for your fast answer as always. I have opened the radio and cleaned the pads, but still did not work. Then I checked all the connectors and then switched the radio On again, and suddenly, it started working, so it seems you were right and something was a bit loose inside. It happened just after updating, but it seems it was a coincidence.

I hate opening the radio with all my heart, because the screw mounts are beginning to wear... Do you have any tip or fix you can give me? I think smartieparts had something for it, but I dont remember it very well.

Thanks!

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:13 pm

I have some 6BA, 20mm long self tap screws. These are just a little bit thicker than the normal screws and cut a new thread in the plastic.
As standard, when doing the radio back up, turn the screws backwards until they "click", indicating they are aligned with the existing thread, then tighten them.

The 6BA screws are 2.9mm in outside diameter.

Mike
ersky9x/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Rad

Post by Rad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi Mike, I have read your "clicl" tip months ago and I am doing it since then, its a great idea.

In the radio just one of the mounts is bad, but look what an awesome solution I found:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... s%21%21%21

Return to “ersky9x”